Just booked our first Viking cruise!

kctwinmommy

22 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

How would Viking know if you’re arriving at the airport by plane or from Venice?  Can’t you just tell them you want a transfer from the airport and tell them your arriving on Flt #X from wherever and show up with your bags in tow T baggage claim and find the Viking rep?

Could. But spouse doesn’t want to lie to them. That was going to be my plan of attack. Sigh.

I may just call and try that while asking how to pay in advance for said transfer.

Edited by LindaS272

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Could. But spouse doesn’t want to lie to them. That was going to be my plan of attack. Sigh.

I may just call and try that while asking how to pay in advance for said transfer.

So lie to him and to them?🤔😂

• Like 1

Wow! Not quite sure how my original post seems to have really gotten so far off track! A lot of posts are people in their own conversations, not really anything related to our particular cruise, planning things with our ports, etc.... Just kind of weird!

Anyway, I'll be sure to read other posts for information related to the cruise we're taking. We're looking forward to this for sure!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

Yes it isn’t as far however, they usually route you through Amsterdam and quite often what would normally be a 2/3 hour flight from your local airport can take you 7/8 hours or more - still worth it though 😀

Wow! Not surprising. Airline schedules are crazy. 

16 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

That would be in your roll call I presume….?

Yes I know where to find it. I guess my point was that this entire thread really was off the rails with people complaining about things, and talking about things I didn't care about. I was just trying to be polite about it. 😉

• Like 1

I am excited as this will be much different than other cruises we've done for sure. We did a European one a few years ago, and loved it. We've also been to Europe a few times on our own over the many years. My husband was actually stationed in the UK before we met, so he traveled quite a bit over there.

I was also excited to learn that our ship is their newest one! It will be nice to be on a newer ship! We typically avoid them on our other cruises, simply because the latest ones are so big, more than what we really want to be on most of the time.

I've enjoyed looking through some of the photos and videos of the ship as well. It's nice to see those too.

On 1/28/2023 at 7:43 PM, Clay Clayton said:

How would Viking know if you’re arriving at the airport by plane or from Venice?  Can’t you just tell them you want a transfer from the airport and tell them your arriving on Flt #X from wherever and show up with your bags in tow T baggage claim and find the Viking rep?

I would love to know the answer to this, since we will be in the same situation early April.  It would be very convenient for us to go back to airport and use the Viking transfer.  However, I don't want to get there and be told no, then have to find another way.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, springtravel said:

I would love to know the answer to this, since we will be in the same situation early April.  It would be very convenient for us to go back to airport and use the Viking transfer.  However, I don't want to get there and be told no, then have to find another way.  

The form in MVJ that they want you to fill out asks for copious detail about your flight: airline name & code; flight #; departure date; departure city & code; departure time; arrival city & code; arrival time.

You also need to submit the form at least 30 days in advance, but I’m not sure when you get charged. I don’t think they want you just showing up at the airport without having submitted your info in advance, although I think folk have posted on CC that they have done this and been accommodated—but usually after having just flown in.

The supervisor who nixed our request read us the booking terms & conditions where it says “only on day of arrival.” So then why the language in the letter we received implying you could do this? He had no answer but could be heard typing in the background and implied he was reporting it. Doesn’t do us any good!

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 8:04 PM, LindaS272 said:

I think there is a train that goes from Venice to Chioggia Sottomarina with a change in Padova.  It takes less than 2 hours and then it's just a few kilometres over the bridge to the port.  The cost is around 10Euros each + a short cab ride.

1 hour ago, millybess said:

I think there is a train that goes from Venice to Chioggia Sottomarina with a change in Padova.  It takes less than 2 hours and then it's just a few kilometres over the bridge to the port.  The cost is around 10Euros each + a short cab ride.

Thanks @millybess. We’re exploring all options. I’m looking for convenient (not too much time), as well as economical. We’re going to check with our hotel too.