Just booked our first Viking cruise!

kctwinmommy

After nearly 20 years of cruising, MSC, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival - we decided we needed to up our standards a bit. LOL! I joke, but we really did want something a little different. We also decided we wanted to do a big one. So we are officially booked on the Viking Mars, doing the Athens - Barcelona (April 2024) - Mediterranean & Adriatic Sojourn! We did book a middle of the road Deluxe Veranda, gives us a few more perks, but not another $4000 in costs.

I know I'll be back many times before that to get advice and learn from all the previous Viking cruisers. I did do a lot of reading of previous posts before booking too, so I had some help beforehand.

Looking forward to planning this whole adventure and experiencing something amazing!

• Like 6

Try this long thread for lots of info about Viking Ocean that will help you get started. It starts out pre pause but continues until pretty recently. Most of the information is still relevant. For some reason the link to this thread that I found takes you to page 69 ( sorry about that--I am not the most technical savvy person on the boards). However, despite being long and repetitive in some parts, it is a GREAT resource to start to learn about all things Viking Ocean. It, along with the very kind and helpful feedback of the folks on here helped me become familiar with many of Vikings quirks before our 18 day Panama cruise last year. We had such a great experience that we will be on Viking Jupiter for 40 days beginning this February from Santiago Chile to Barcelona Spain. You will love Viking. No comparison to the other lines you have sailed. We have sailed all of them. You have definitely upped your standards. Welcome to the Viking family!

Linda

• Like 2

Linda, I wouldn’t go so far as to say there is no comparison between, for example, Viking and RCL as to one being “better” than the other. They both appeal to slightly different demographics and have somewhat different philosophies of cruising. Viking is definitely more expensive overall even if you factor in drinks, specialty restaurants, and an included excursion in each port. I’ve had some very good food with Viking and some not so good food. Same for RCL. That said, Viking SHOULD have better food overall for the extra cost. Given that Viking includes alcoholic drinks, for those that do not consume alcohol this is a disadvantage since they’re paying for a perk they probably won’t use. Viking is a more laid back and relaxed environment. That will appeal to some folks but not others. Surely can’t beat the Nordic spa facilities on Viking at least based on my experience. I’ve had equally good service in both. I’ve also been on a Viking sailing that nearly turned into a maritime disaster. And some of the recent and past mishaps that have occurred on both ocean and river ships are less than comforting. It’s no secret that all cruise lines have cut corners since the pandemic. I enjoy Viking tremendously for what the product offers but also enjoy RCL and X for what they offer. Probably the biggest disadvantage for me relative to Viking is that I have to fly for any cruises I do with them. Not the case with either X or RCL. So it’s a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. Just my take on it of course. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

I will add one thing that I really like about Viking, which is that they offer pre and post extensions, thus enabling trips to be put together as sort of a combination land and sea vacation.  This also helps when flying overseas if, for instance, wanting to make a journey longer than only a 7-day cruise or whatever. I personally don’t care to fly to Europe for less than 2 weeks, so by adding extensions it makes it easy to do this. As said above, biggest disadvantage for me is that all Viking cruises involve flying compared to only driving 2 hours for both RCL and X, so unfortunately I’m not likely to do too many more Viking trips unless it’s somewhere I really want to go that is not available at my two local ports. 

• Like 2

Kct,

Also be aware that Viking automatically tacks on their own insurance unless you tell them not to like within (I think) 2 weeks. I personally like to do my own insurance and flights.  Viking air is a mixed bag as you’ve probably already discovered from your CC research. My TA has no great love for working with their air department but, like anything else, some here report great experiences with booking air through Viking. I like to have as much control over my trip details as I can. Guess this is probably why DIY car travel is still my all-time favorite way to sightsee 😆. Wishing you all the best with your first Viking experience. I will add one more thing which is that Viking ships are relatively uncomplicated in decor and overall design (yet very nicely done) compared to the more opulent and glitzy approach that lines such as RCL and X use. Very different cruise experience overall as I already referred to. How one might define a “step up” relative to one line over another is likely a purely personal matter. 

• Like 1

We have gone both ways, through Viking and DIY. The advantage of going with a pre or post extension handled by/through Viking is that they handle everything and you are under their support umbrella the whole time. When it fits it is typical the best way to go. 

• Like 1

Hi, OnTheJourney. I certainly cannot argue the point that everyone has their own perspective as to what constitutes a good or "better" cruise experience. In my personal opinion, Viking provides a much superior (not perfect) product for a price I am willing to pay. I support everyone's right to make their own decisions regarding their own cruising dollar based on the pros and cons of each cruise line. In balance though, I think Viking gives the best value for my money (though they are on the pricy side) after factoring in a lot of intangibles, most notably customer service on and off the ship. I could talk you ear off on that subject, especially after my 3+ hour hold time recently with Princess and a similar occurrence with X.  I have had only excellent (and timely) interactions with Viking so far, both on and off the ship. Again, my experience. YMMV. Anyway, wherever and with whomever you chose to cruise, enjoy!

(By the way, when we booked our upcoming cruise we were definitely asked about insurance - it was not automatically added)

Linda

I don’t recall being asked about insurance. It was simply added with the booking here in the US. 

Probably some of my thoughts are skewed by what took place with the Sky 4 years ago. We were not kept informed of what was happening with the weather system that we sailed into. Long story. That said, we were well compensated and treated extremely well in the aftermath. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Snowcat1 said:

OntheJourney, I am taking my first Viking Cruise in May and they did not automatically tack on their insurance. Never heard of this happen? Please explain.

Can’t explain it other than, to the best of my memory, they simply added it and then I was told that it can be removed within a specified time period. I know for sure it was added to my upcoming Mississippi cruise without my being asked if I wanted it. Or is this perhaps an issue with booking through a travel agent? 

10 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

We're in UK. No automatic insurance being added. Flights, drinks and tips included in price. Suits us. We've had reason to feel well looked after by Viking.

Easier for UK (and other European) pax not having to fly as far to access most Viking cruises. If they went out of a more local port we’d probably use them more often. 

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Easier for UK (and other European) pax not having to fly as far to access most Viking cruises. If they went out of a more local port we’d probably use them more often. 

Yes it isn’t as far however, they usually route you through Amsterdam and quite often what would normally be a 2/3 hour flight from your local airport can take you 7/8 hours or more - still worth it though 😀

7 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Can’t explain it other than, to the best of my memory, they simply added it and then I was told that it can be removed within a specified time period. I know for sure it was added to my upcoming Mississippi cruise without my being asked if I wanted it. Or is this perhaps an issue with booking through a travel agent? 

I think it’s an issue with YOUR travel agent. I’m not certain, but think booking agents receive extra commission if Viking insurance is included in the booking.

• Like 1

Soo... we already turned down the insurance through them, it asked us when we booked. We are booking our own air, I like to have that control. I don't like flying to begin with, so I want that to be handled myself so I know exactly what I've got. We do plan on flying in at least a day or two early, and then staying a day or two at least at the end. The pre & post excursions are all booked, which is fine. A little on our own will be good too. @L11- thanks for posting that, someone shared that with me about 2 months ago as well. I'll still be skimming through it. I also read someone's review that covered part of the cruise we're taking and that helped.

We already know there's a big difference between Viking and Carnival. Carnival worked for us for many years, and for various reasons. We'll still cruise them again at some point I'm sure. We often go with friends of ours. This is totally different trip and different thing we want to experience. My parents have also cruise Viking a few times, both river and ocean, so they've given us lots of tips.

I'm looking forward to planning things and researching what we really want to do. This is a very big trip for us, almost a month, the longest we've ever done, so we want to make sure it covers the things we really want to do. And still give us time to relax and enjoy it all.

I am a Viking newbie about to take my first Viking Ocean cruise.  I expect the experience once on board to be outstanding from all the comments everyone has written about.  I am looking forward to our cruise.  But the pre-cruise experience is not very good for first timers because of lack of early information.     After 18 cruises with 5 different companies, we are used to seeing the excursions posted many months ahead with much more information.  For example, I have a cruise booked 8 months from now with another company and I can look at all the excursions, their price, and specifics of the excursion, not just a generic overall description.   I can book them now regardless of room class.  

For those who have cruised with Viking before, you know that you will probably get into the specialty restaurant once on board… despite no more reservations being taken through MVJ.  To the newbie, who gets that message at the first opportunity to make a reservation… it’s stressful.  Same with the excursions being full prior to one getting an opportunity to book them.  Everyone here has assured me it will all work out.  But I don’t think a company should have to rely on its previous passengers to inform/calm new passengers.

As I said, I am looking forward to this cruise.  I WANT to fall in love with Viking.  We like small ships and it’s one of the reasons we have cruised on different companies ( following the sale of the R-ships).  Please don’t blast me for pointing out where I think Viking can improve.

• Like 1

You shouldn't be blasted for having an opinion about Viking's processes. Especially the ones regarding reservations for shore excursions and restaurant reservations. It is definitely stressful hovering over the keyboard at your appointed hour to try to get the excursion you really want no matter what category of cabin you have. I do understand their metric but that doesn't mean it isn't sometimes stressful to the consumer. 

Whatever happens, go and enjoy your cruise!

Linda

3 minutes ago, L11 said:

You shouldn't be blasted for having an opinion about Viking's processes. Especially the ones regarding reservations for shore excursions and restaurant reservations. It is definitely stressful hovering over the keyboard at your appointed hour to try to get the excursion you really want no matter what category of cabin you have. I do understand their metric but that doesn't mean it isn't sometimes stressful to the consumer. 

Whatever happens, go and enjoy your cruise!

Linda

Thank you!  I plan to have a terrific time.

5 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

I am a Viking newbie about to take my first Viking Ocean cruise.  I expect the experience once on board to be outstanding from all the comments everyone has written about.  I am looking forward to our cruise.  But the pre-cruise experience is not very good for first timers because of lack of early information.     After 18 cruises with 5 different companies, we are used to seeing the excursions posted many months ahead with much more information.  For example, I have a cruise booked 8 months from now with another company and I can look at all the excursions, their price, and specifics of the excursion, not just a generic overall description.   I can book them now regardless of room class.  

For those who have cruised with Viking before, you know that you will probably get into the specialty restaurant once on board… despite no more reservations being taken through MVJ.  To the newbie, who gets that message at the first opportunity to make a reservation… it’s stressful.  Same with the excursions being full prior to one getting an opportunity to book them.  Everyone here has assured me it will all work out.  But I don’t think a company should have to rely on its previous passengers to inform/calm new passengers.

As I said, I am looking forward to this cruise.  I WANT to fall in love with Viking.  We like small ships and it’s one of the reasons we have cruised on different companies ( following the sale of the R-ships).  Please don’t blast me for pointing out where I think Viking can improve.

Sounds like you have the perfect attitude to have a great cruise!  

You will have opportunities onboard especially at the end of cruise survey  to communicate any thoughts, concerns, suggestions. Be sure and do so.  

I have a list I keep on my phone (it’s posted below). It used to have a couple more items on it but those seem to have been addressed.  Perhaps if enough of  us comment on the same issue, changes will be made🤞I’ve added one to cover your concern to my list. 

Have a great cruise!

Viking Suggestions

At tea offer a smaller portion rather than throwing a whole set up away

Have the desserts in the World Cafe be as tasty as those at Tea...or just serve whatever isn’t used.

Serve onion soup in The Restaurant in a smaller portion

Add Yerba Maté to the tea lists

Take down sheers in The Living Room-let’s see the sea

Add cushions to the arms of the seating on Deck 9 forward. 

After this many years, it’s time for some new shows. 

Better communication between departments. Examples- when passing Gibraltar at midnight-don’t have only one bartender in Explorer’s Lounge, if roof over pool needs maintenance don’t do it on a sea day when folks are enjoying having it open. 

Make shoreside service comparable to what we experience on the ship. Examples-restaurant reservation system is confusing, possible to get multiple answers to the same question from telephone or chat representatives, etc. 

Make it clear to folks new to Viking that if they don’t get their first choice restaurant or excursion reservations that there will be other opportunities onboard. 

• Like 3

I’ll add:

Don’t send out an email to pax on bookings previously scheduled to depart from Venice but now departing out of Chioggia with the following language:

Guests with Viking Air or Transfers
If you have Viking Air or have arranged a transfer with Viking, you will be automatically transferred between the Chioggia docking location and the airport or your extension hotel for embarkation or disembarkation.

Independent Travelers (Guests traveling without Viking-arranged air or transfers) 
If you wish to purchase a Viking transfer to Chioggia, please contact Reservations or your Travel Agent. Otherwise, please advise your driver of the following dock address for embarkation or disembarkation in Chioggia: 

Chioggia Cruise Terminal
Via Isola Saloni
30015 Chioggia VE, Italy

Gee, we thought as independent travelers coming in three days early to Venice, we were going to be able to purchase transfers, maybe from the airport to the ship on day of embarkation. Even when we called “Reservations” as indicated, the agent said yes, I think in this instance, with the onerous change in docking location, that they’ve waived the “no transfers except on arrival day” requirement. After 45 minutes back and forth with a supervisor and on hold numerous times—it was “Nope—despite the letter from Viking inviting you to purchase transfers with no mention of ‘disqualification’ if not coming into the airport on arrival day—we’re not going to accommodate you.”

And please, fellow travelers, don’t bother to chastise us for thinking this might have actually been an invitation. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Clay ,great suggestions.

I think you should send them to Tellus @Vinkg or the powers that be.

Sensible easy fixes.

I have given them as suggestions on every cruise and will continue to do so.  And if Tors or Karine are ever on a ship with me, I’ll be pulling out my phone and opening that “note” 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

I’ll add:

Don’t send out an email to pax on bookings previously scheduled to depart from Venice but now departing out of Chioggia with the following language:

Guests with Viking Air or Transfers
If you have Viking Air or have arranged a transfer with Viking, you will be automatically transferred between the Chioggia docking location and the airport or your extension hotel for embarkation or disembarkation.

Independent Travelers (Guests traveling without Viking-arranged air or transfers) 
If you wish to purchase a Viking transfer to Chioggia, please contact Reservations or your Travel Agent. Otherwise, please advise your driver of the following dock address for embarkation or disembarkation in Chioggia: 

Chioggia Cruise Terminal
Via Isola Saloni
30015 Chioggia VE, Italy

Gee, we thought as independent travelers coming in three days early to Venice, we were going to be able to purchase transfers, maybe from the airport to the ship on day of embarkation. Even when we called “Reservations” as indicated, the agent said yes, I think in this instance, with the onerous change in docking location, that they’ve waived the “no transfers except on arrival day” requirement. After 45 minutes back and forth with a supervisor and on hold numerous times—it was “Nope—despite the letter from Viking inviting you to purchase transfers with no mention of ‘disqualification’ if not coming into the airport on arrival day—we’re not going to accommodate you.”

And please, fellow travelers, don’t bother to chastise us for thinking this might have actually been an invitation. 🤦‍♀️

How would Viking know if you’re arriving at the airport by plane or from Venice?  Can’t you just tell them you want a transfer from the airport and tell them your arriving on Flt #X from wherever and show up with your bags in tow T baggage claim and find the Viking rep?

• Like 2