KYBOB

Down to the last few days before our cruise/land tour, Packed the following:

Sony A7C

Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS

Sony FE Zeiss Vario-Tessar *T 16-35mm F4.0 ZA OSS

Tamron 28-200mm F2.8 Di III RXD 

Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM

Sony RX10 MIV (24-600mm)

I should be covered now, bodies and lenses weather sealed. The different excursion ranges covered. Last time to Alaska I used full-frame only with a little longer reach (24-240mm), but nothing beyond that. My RX10 MIV should cover any range.

• 1 month later...

We are first time cruisers and this is our first visit to Alaska.  I wanted some advice about bringing a tripod on the cruise.  My plan is to bring a tripod only to be used on the balcony of the ship and probably mostly during the cruise though Glacier Bay.  I don't plan on bringing it with me on excursions since I have to bring a fairly heavy tripod to support my 70-200mm lens and 2x entener.  Normally when we travel I donot bring a tripod and if I do I bring a small light weight travel tripod but that would never support the 70-200mm.  Also we have the luxury of no flights since the ship departs and returns to Vancouver and we are a skytrain ride away from the port.  I have seen some posts about tripods being unnessary for a cruise and just wanted some thoughts.

We are on the lido deck with a front facing cabin with a fairly large balcony, so I do not believe space will be an issue.

21 minutes ago, Insomniacs said:

We are first time cruisers and this is our first visit to Alaska.  I wanted some advice about bringing a tripod on the cruise.  My plan is to bring a tripod only to be used on the balcony of the ship and probably mostly during the cruise though Glacier Bay.  I don't plan on bringing it with me on excursions since I have to bring a fairly heavy tripod to support my 70-200mm lens and 2x entener.  Normally when we travel I donot bring a tripod and if I do I bring a small light weight travel tripod but that would never support the 70-200mm.  Also we have the luxury of no flights since the ship departs and returns to Vancouver and we are a skytrain ride away from the port.  I have seen some posts about tripods being unnessary for a cruise and just wanted some thoughts.

We are on the lido deck with a front facing cabin with a fairly large balcony, so I do not believe space will be an issue.

I am a firm believer in bringing all of the gear you think is necessary and that includes clothing.  When the cruise is over, decide what you didn't use and never bring it again.

14 minutes ago, Insomniacs said:

I have taken a tripod on every cruise and never used it except to attach a GoPro to it. I would never use it for my camera while on the ship to take photos off the off the ship. I will admit I did use it once a long time ago to take some shots of the pool fountain on the Regal Princess when they did the light shows at night and wanted the people to disappear. The reasons why a tripod is useless to take photos of things from the ship to the shore is it is moving in several directions forward, sideways and up and down (it is floating in the water) then there is the old vibrations coming from the engine thing. It is better to just hand hold it, just up your shutter speed to compensate for all this movement. If it is low light just up your ISO to allow you to up you shutter speed. This trip I will probably lug the thing again but doing the land portion and will be on land, which does not move forward or bob up and down for some long exposure landscapes and water falls, but once I get on the ship probably will stay in the suit case.    

6 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I am a firm believer in bringing all of the gear you think is necessary and that includes clothing.  When the cruise is over, decide what you didn't use and never bring it again.

My wife is going to love this advice. 😄

4 minutes ago, Insomniacs said:

My wife is going to love this advice. 😄

With respect to clothing, bringing too much will create onboard issues of where you will put it.  What about all of the empty suitcase?  Taxis do not have unlimited space to carry lots of luggage and the airlines charge for extra bags/weight.  Plan lightweight layers, compatible colors to mix & match.  Trying to dress to impress fellow passengers who you will never see again can be stressful.

As far as camera gear, bring as much as you feel comfortable carrying in a backpack for several hours.  After filling your excursion backpack with water bottles, spare batteries, rain gear, snacks, jacket, etc, you can decide how much camera gear you need.

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

With respect to clothing, bringing too much will create onboard issues of where you will put it.  What about all of the empty suitcase?  Taxis do not have unlimited space to carry lots of luggage and the airlines charge for extra bags/weight.  Plan lightweight layers, compatible colors to mix & match.  Trying to dress to impress fellow passengers who you will never see again can be stressful.

We have gotten very good over the years at travelling lite.  We normally can do 2-3 weeks in Europe with just a carry on each. The difference with this trip is we do not have to fly because we live in the Vancouver area and are just a 40 minute Skytrain ride from the port.  She plans on bringing a bigger suitcase since we are on the ship the entire 10 days and are not on the move running from train station to hotels etc...

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

As far as camera gear, bring as much as you feel comfortable carrying in a backpack for several hours.  After filling your excursion backpack with water bottles, spare batteries, rain gear, snacks, jacket, etc, you can decide how much camera gear you need.

I normally do not bring a lot of equipment, again because we like to travel lite.   Early on a took a lot more but for the last decade or so I usually only travel with a 24-70mm and a 35mm.  No zoom but I am not a hard core photography guy and just like to document the trip with pics.  This will be the first trip I am bringing a 70-200mm and a extender. I am not sure what my other lens is going to be but I am leaning towards the small 50mm 1.4 because it is so small and light weight. The thing is phone cameras have gotten so good that it makes carrying a small prime for the ship or towns almost unnecessary. 

• Like 2

Well, went to the doc today arm is healed and can now resume normal activity no weight restrictions.  And we leave in 19 days for Fairbanks. I have packed my carryon bag and after much debate have settled on the following; Sony A1 and A7RV with the following lenses, 14mm f/1.4, 24-70 /f2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/5.6, 1.4x and 2x teleconverters. Along with GoPro 11 and iPhone 13Pro. I will carry one body w/lens and 70-200 in a ThinkTank Holster and the other gear will be in a Shimoda Action X30 with enough room to have my laptop, iPad, travel CPAP, meds, my travel EDC, chargers, spare batteries (6), power supply (2), binoculars and assorted cords. IMG_3148.thumb.jpeg.178860b87a31947eea008a4adf0a6577.jpeg

On 7/19/2023 at 4:30 AM, KYBOB said:

14mm f/1.4

Do I assume this has a little typo and you actually are taking Sony FE 1.4/14 GM and not the new Sigma 14 mm F1.4 monster?

2 hours ago, Hezu said:

Do I assume this has a little typo and you actually are taking Sony FE 1.4/14 GM and not the new Sigma 14 mm F1.4 monster?

Thanks! You are correct there is a typo it is the Sony 14mm f/1.8 GM, too many 4's it is a nice little lens great sharpness in the corners. 

On 7/18/2023 at 12:55 PM, Insomniacs said:

I plan on bringing a tripod to use for the same purpose - on the balcony in Glacier Bay. Also bringing a 200-600mm lens.

• Like 1

By staying on the balcony while in Glacier Bay it will certainly alleviate being bumped into by others although it can be a poor viewing area overall. There is so much to see on both sides of the ship that you’ll miss much of it by staying on the balcony. While in front of Margerie Glacier the ships normally rotate so much of the time you’ll be looking at something rather than the main attraction regardless of where your cabin is. Of course, the forward viewing areas will fill up fast although the promenade deck can give you excellent viewing with fewer people in your way and you can move around to maximize the view.

Balcony on the port side, you’ve just missed a jackpot area where there are frequently mountain goats along the cliffs at Gloomy Knob.  Starboard side balcony, you’ve just missed the slow down past South Marble Island and the nesting birds and sea lion haul out.  Even in a forward cabin you miss part of the experience unless you can also look as you pass by and not just ahead of the ship.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

Balcony on the port side, you’ve just missed a jackpot area where there are frequently mountain goats along the cliffs at Gloomy Knob.  Starboard side balcony, you’ve just missed the slow down past South Marble Island and the nesting birds and sea lion haul out.  Even in a forward cabin you miss part of the experience unless you can also look as you pass by and not just ahead of the ship.

Couple of questions.  We are in a starboard balcony.  What you say we will miss, won't we get it on the way back?  Everything on port going north is on starboard going south, yes?

-gregma

@gregma60 After picking up the Bartlett Cove staff you'll head up the right side of the bay so starboard will be closer to shore. After spending an hour or so at Margerie Glacier you'll head out of the bay towards Lamplugh Glacier, again, with starboard being closer to shore. You'll turn and head towards Johns Hopkins Glacier and will stop for viewing about Jaw Point before heading past Lamplugh again. You'll center up in the bay a bit before passing South Marble island on the port side.

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

By staying on the balcony while in Glacier Bay it will certainly alleviate being bumped into by others although it can be a poor viewing area overall. There is so much to see on both sides of the ship that you’ll miss much of it by staying on the balcony. While in front of Margerie Glacier the ships normally rotate so much of the time you’ll be looking at something rather than the main attraction regardless of where your cabin is. Of course, the forward viewing areas will fill up fast although the promenade deck can give you excellent viewing with fewer people in your way and you can move around to maximize the view.

One of the primary reasons I booked a forward facing balcony on the Lido deck was because during my research I found that many people like to gather at the front of the ship during Glacier bay.  Many also suggested getting to those areas early because the best spots were in high demand.  I also heard you will lose your spot if you had to take a bathroom break.  Our ship is in Glacier bay from 6:45 am to 3:45 pm.  I didn't want to show up at 6:00 am to find a good spot and then risk losing it when we took a break.  Also I could not imagine standing on the deck for 9 hours.  I figure if I booked a front facing cabin I would probably get a similar view as people out front, plus I have the luxury of going inside the cabin and ordering a hot coffee or food from room service while we enjoyed the day in Glacier bay.   We can take a bathroom break without fear of losing a spot and don't have to deal with the crowds.  I also think the cabin television provides information about Glacier bay as it cruises through.

If you think there are times when it maybe beneficial to leave the cabin and go on deck I guess we can do that from time to time too.  9 hours is a lot of time and I have not commited to spending the entire time in the cabin.

• Like 1

@Insomniacs 

I would love to have a forward facing cabin but it’s just not in the cards for us. I do understand the appeal but having been to Glacier Bay 10 times on cruises still feel it’s not the best place for viewing. You can just miss too much. You’ll be in a great position to look for humpbacks if you’re up early enough.  Within an hour or so of entering the bay can be a jackpot for humpback sightings although we’ve not seen them there more than we have. Yes, the rangers will provide commentary that can usually be accessed on a specific TV channel.

To bring this back around to topic….I’ve been taking two Nikon DSLRs and 4 lenses in a gear backpack for years. Also a tripod until a couple years ago when I ditched it because I rarely used it while cruising. I’ll be selling all of it as I’ve just gotten the Sony RX10 IV.  A bit of a compromise but not enough to miss all that heavy gear. Also picked up a dandy cell phone that takes great photos and it’s always with me.

On 4/9/2023 at 8:26 PM, Crew News said:

On whale watching excursions, passengers will surge from their seats inside the boat to the outside deck to see any spotted whales.  You will have to position your camera to avoid the other cameras suddenly thrust in front of yours.  An articulating focus screen will be a great help.

That was also my experience on a boat with about 50 other passengers! It wasn't a problem on a small boat with only 2 other passengers, one of whom didn't have a camera. BTW, I ended up on the larger boat because there were small-craft warnings and a smaller boat couldn't operate.

During an Alaska trip in 2021, I used every lens that I had brought: wide zoom, medium zoom, long zoom, and longer zoom. The only oft-recommended lens that I didn't take was a 50mm-equivalent "natural" lens. When I've taken one, I've rarely used it. My preferred camera is a Micro 4/3, so neither the camera body nor the lenses are especially large or heavy.

What I didn't use at all in that trip was a small waterproof camera. I had brought it only for a raft expedition that was cancelled because there was, um, too much water.

Edited by kochleffel

On 7/18/2023 at 9:30 PM, KYBOB said:

Well, went to the doc today arm is healed and can now resume normal activity no weight restrictions.  And we leave in 19 days for Fairbanks. I have packed my carryon bag and after much debate have settled on the following; Sony A1 and A7RV with the following lenses, 14mm f/1.4, 24-70 /f2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/5.6, 1.4x and 2x teleconverters. Along with GoPro 11 and iPhone 13Pro. I will carry one body w/lens and 70-200 in a ThinkTank Holster and the other gear will be in a Shimoda Action X30 with enough room to have my laptop, iPad, travel CPAP, meds, my travel EDC, chargers, spare batteries (6), power supply (2), binoculars and assorted cords. IMG_3148.thumb.jpeg.178860b87a31947eea008a4adf0a6577.jpeg

How do you like that bag?  Looks like it will fit a ton of gear and other necessities.  I am constantly on the hunt for the perfect bag.

7 hours ago, kbnovak said:

How do you like that bag?  Looks like it will fit a ton of gear and other necessities.  I am constantly on the hunt for the perfect bag.

It will literally hold a ton of stuff. With everything packed including jacket, pills, etc. it weighs 32lbs. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used the Sony 1.4x teleconverter on the Sony 100-400 with the Sony A1 and have never had any issues with focusing or the speed in which it focuses on this trip or other times. I am an avid bird photographer and have used them all the time on this lens or others. I cannot speak about other manufacturers.