Restructuring at Holland America

Hanoverian

18 hours ago, SLSD said:

Interesting.  It does seem like separating the working structure of the brands does make them easier to sell with a smoother transition upon sale.  

Aloha. I agree. There is an ulterior business reason for this. Yes guest satisfaction and economy of scale is extremely important but so is the ability to shed companies if necessary. Of course that would also depend on the agreements they have with lenders regarding assets. 

19 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. I agree. There is an ulterior business reason for this. Yes guest satisfaction and economy of scale is extremely important but so is the ability to shed companies if necessary. Of course that would also depend on the agreements they have with lenders regarding assets. 

Here starteth the rumour mill 😁

Article is full of Corporate word salads but Seabourn still reports to HA. Talking shore side here, can a mass market mentality really understand an ultra-lux product. Also looks like Seabourn won’t have control over Source App as no change in IT Dept.

Don’t really see how these changes could facilitate sale Seabourn, only time will tell.

On 1/29/2023 at 10:21 AM, SLSD said:

Interesting.  It does seem like separating the working structure of the brands does make them easier to sell with a smoother transition upon sale.  

Exactly.  That was my experience when I worked in the corporate offices of a large multinational corporation.  There was much discussion among the corporate staff about the role of shared services.   The CEO decided to shift many responsibilities to the individual companies - shortly thereafter the corporation started the multiyear process of divesting the operating units one-by-on.  Essentially,  breaking apart the corporation in the belief that the whole was LESS than the sum of its parts.  Funny how the pendulum continues to swing back and forth on issues like this.  Almost like executives following the latest fad.

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Funny how the pendulum continues to swing back and forth on issues like this.  Almost like executives following the latest fad.

That's how they justify their multi-million dollar salaries! 😉

Comment on the Seatrade article …

“Group structure served well during the pandemic

When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, the group structure served the company well. For example, having one maritime group dealing with all the brands — Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Seabourn and P&O Cruises Australia — was an effective way to tackle unprecedented challenges together. And this built strong relationships across the group.”

I took offense to the placement of the above comment in the article and it’s implied message. Suggests to me corporate had fore knowledge which clearly they did not.

They should really be saying that the strategy does not work in clear terms without the gobblygook. Liebowitz reporting to Antorcha makes him a follower not a leader.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I took it as spin on the only time centralisation really worked was during COVID which gave them the opportunity to downscale and strip workers etc across the board quickly and efficiently. Pre COVID the issues were being identified with treating every  brand the same way from provisioning to customer service. Now it’s time to decentralise, sort out brand devaluing in preparation for sale but wrap it up in jargon to make it sound all new and strategic.

Perhaps a bit too cynical?

• Like 1

I found the part about some bigwig at Princess retiring as the catalyst to re jig strategy. As if he was some omnipotent wizard and profit driver and without him the whole structure would suffer when he abdicated his throne. This is a good example of a contrived reality dosing flavoured with cronyism or worse. PR articles should not treat customers and shareholders are chumps. We are not.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1