Rotterdam -- Inside cabin scoop?

cruisemom42

I found a very good price for an inside cabin on a Rotterdam sailing (21-day that includes Baltics + Norwegian coast). Can anyone give me some feedback on the inside cabins on Rotterdam?

(Please don't suggest other categories -- I am fine with inside and apparently the deal I found only applies to inside.)

• Like 1

We were on the Rotterdam in an inside cabin last April, smaller cabin than what we've had on other HAL ships especially the bathroom though the shower was a nice size. Would I book it again if the price was right, yes.

I took an inside on main deck as a solo cruiser on sister ship Nieuw Statendam. It was fine for me, and decently located near a stairway. Ample storage space for a solo. But I also got the thermal suite package to avoid feeling cooped up inside.

38 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I found a very good price for an inside cabin on a Rotterdam sailing (21-day that includes Baltics + Norwegian coast). Can anyone give me some feedback on the inside cabins on Rotterdam?

(Please don't suggest other categories -- I am fine with inside and apparently the deal I found only applies to inside.)

We were on the Rotterdam in Sept. and Oct 2022 in an inside cabin 5071.  It is smaller than similar  Vista class cabins with not having a love seat on the cabin.  We thought we’d not like it however it was a nice cabin. It was located midship and we felt no excess motion including the one night of heavy seas in the north Atlantic sailing to NY.  It has all the same features as most cabins as it applies to closet space, room under the bed and bathroom.   The shower was a highlight with ample room.  Interactive TV at the end of the bed was nice.

Overall we were nicely surprised and happy with it.

Edited by rajkr74
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Pinnacle class interiors are all very small and almost none have any separate seating areas (yes, there are a few triples that have a useless couch sandwiched in sideways alongside the bed).  You don't even get a real chair, just a cube to sit on so anything you do is done sitting on the bed (watching TV,  eating room service).  As others have said, if all you want is a bed, a dressing table with a cube to sit on and a nice bathroom the interiors are a great value and if you can live with that take one.  Many times we have been offered nice paid upgrade offers from them (on some we upgraded all the way to Neptune suites) and the cost was well under half the price the comparable cabin would have been to book from the beginning...so there is that opportunity too.

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Real NHDOC said:

The Pinnacle class interiors are all very small and almost none have any separate seating areas (yes, there are a few triples that have a useless couch sandwiched in sideways alongside the bed).  You don't even get a real chair, just a cube to sit on so anything you do is done sitting on the bed (watching TV,  eating room service).  As others have said, if all you want is a bed, a dressing table with a cube to sit on and a nice bathroom the interiors are a great value and if you can live with that take one.  Many times we have been offered nice paid upgrade offers from them (on some we upgraded all the way to Neptune suites) and the cost was well under half the price the comparable cabin would have been to book from the beginning...so there is that opportunity too.

1 minute ago, albingirl said:

Unless it's sold out. You can't get upgrades or upsells then.

Yes, I would think that goes without saying.  If the cruise is sold out you will not be offered a paid upgrade offer.  But many times there are last minute cancellations and a trip to guest services on embarkation day can yield upgrades too.  The bottom line is book a cabin you can live with and if you get something better, that's great too!

• Like 2

Tiny cabin. With the closest thing to a 'chair' being the toilet. 

I normally prefer inside cabins on every cruise I take, but refuse to book an inside on the Pinnacle class ships. On that class I won't book less than a veranda cabin, preferably an accessible one. 

The ship is huge, but if you can book near mid-ship, you won't have as far to go to get where you want to be when you start out from your cabin. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enkcream said:

Check out the spa interiors, only a few dollars more. Had one in November, you can be on a lounger on deck 10 in seconds. Every morning we would wake up walk 20 ft and had our ocean view. Was on the Rotterdam.

Great tip, thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

As others have said, if all you want is a bed, a dressing table with a cube to sit on and a nice bathroom the interiors are a great value and if you can live with that take one. 

Not real thrilled with the "cube" thing....  I was hoping there would at least be a decent chair. 

Although I have to say on my last cruise the loveseat in my room was mainly a place to toss stuff. 😂

• Like 3

K-cat -- Sun deck (11) is my goto.  Preferably aft of the elevator lobby.  Close to the gym, Lido / Lido pool / Crow's Nest EXC -- but admittedly other than evenings (or the occasional lunch stop to the Grand Dutch Café) we're very much biased to the upper decks of the ship.  Have done four TAs (two on KDAM, two on NSDM) and an upcoming booked on RDAM, so even with all those sea days have never felt it to be too small, but other than afternoon naps, don't spend much time in the room.  Scott. 

45 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Tiny cabin. With the closest thing to a 'chair' being the toilet. 

I normally prefer inside cabins on every cruise I take, but refuse to book an inside on the Pinnacle class ships. On that class I won't book less than a veranda cabin, preferably an accessible one. 

The ship is huge, but if you can book near mid-ship, you won't have as far to go to get where you want to be when you start out from your cabin. 

The ship is not huge.  The Royal Caribbean cruise ships are huge.  I see no reason to stay away from an inside as long as you realize there is no sofa, no chair, and no verandah.  Once you get past that, the price is right and you just sleep there, and shower there, and enjoy the wonderful ship.

6 minutes ago, albingirl said:

The ship is not huge. 

Huge is in the eye of the beholder. 
I find the Pinnacle ships HUGE, and stand by that observation. I couldn't walk from my cabin, forward of the aft elevators, to the mid-ship elevators without stopping to rest. 

The Vista and Signature ships are
Large, while the R-class ships (and the late, great, S-class) were smaller. 
Of course, the Prinsendam was the perfect size. 

If we must speak of Royal Caribbean, there are words that exceed
Huge to describe their ships. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We spent two weeks in an inside cabin on the Nieuw Statendam in November (same class of ship as Rotterdam)......We had not sailed in an inside cabin in many years.....we thought we had to have a balcony.

We did just fine.  Plenty of room for us....In fact, we plan to go inside again on a port intensive Europe cruise in 2024......The $$$$ savings is substantial and the inside cabins go to the same ports as the balcony cabins....and us "inside" folks are welcome in the MDR as well....so why not!

But for a TA with many sea days, we still think we need the balcony.

Book it. 

• Like 4

Agree.  TA cruises are a different animal.  But, if you are in a port intensive situation, I see no negatives here.  I'll take an obstructed balcony any day of the week on a TA, but European  cruise, save your money and sail inside.  Lots of savings.  We think it's smart in the Caribbean too.  Who stays inside the cabin all day long, not me.

• Like 1

Just now, albingirl said:

Agree.  TA cruises are a different animal.  But, if you are in a port intensive situation, I see no negatives here.  I'll take an obstructed balcony any day of the week on a TA, but European  cruise, save your money and sail inside.  Lots of savings.  We think it's smart in the Caribbean too.  Who stays inside the cabin all day long, not me.

Just now, albingirl said:

But, wait, I live in FL most the year, so if I lived inland I might feel differently.  

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not real thrilled with the "cube" thing....  I was hoping there would at least be a decent chair. 

😂

Beware of that cube! 

The top of the stool comes off and makes into a tray. The corners of the top of the seat are wood. Not padded. 

With the room so small, if it was pulled out just a little, it's dangerous. Both of us got huge bruises just brushing it.

I remember round stools on other HAL ships. They would have been much safer.

Edited by CaliforniaAC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

You don't even get a real chair, just a cube to sit on so anything you do is done sitting on the bed (watching TV,  eating room service).  As others have said, if all you want is a bed, a dressing table with a cube to sit on and a nice bathroom the interiors are a great value and if you can live with that take one. 

Only you can decide what area  of the ship is your preferred level. If an upper deck suits you, look at the deck 11 interior room photos for sister ship Nieuw Statendam. The description above is accurate for most interior rooms.

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/11058-nieuw-statendam/

• Thanks 1

We've sailed exclusively in inside cabins on all three Pinnacle class ships.  The only one we really didn't care for was 10008 which is a spa cabin upfront.  It's really tiny.  But the others were quite acceptable.  In 2022 we spent 3 weeks on the NS and in 2021 we spent 10 days on the Rotterdam.  Previously we sailed the inaugurals of the NS and the Koningsdam both of which were multi-week cruises.

We have found that we prefer a mid level aft cabin for the best cruising experience for us.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

You don't even get a real chair, just a cube to sit on so anything you do is done sitting on the bed (watching TV,  eating room service). 

This is disappointing to hear, as we are booked on Nieuw Statendam in March in an inside cabin. We enjoy room service on occasion, and would like to have a place to sit and eat other than the bed. 😏