Luggage tags on suitcases questions.

cruiseagona

54 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

That works until it fails..... on our last cruise 6 people were missing luggage. One person who checked their carry on was freaking out because she had meds in there she needed. I don't care what anyone say's, I always take a roll on carry on and a small back pack. If your struggling with a carry on walking the gangway maybe a cruise is not for you

No one is criticizing a small roller carry-on or a backpack. The criitcism is directed towards those who are struggling to board with a couple of 25 inch suitcases.   In many cases, they only want to avoid tipping the porters.

• Like 2

IN ANY EVENT - take the time to PRINT another luggage tag or an additional

copy of your cruise contract and place it INSIDE each piece of tendered checked luggage.

If the handle to your luggage with tags loses it mind and become detached at least

opening the bag will result in the clue to return your luggage to you.

Don't attach flimsy tags to unstable handle attachments - THINK !

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 11:47 AM, LoriASP said:

As I have been researching online for helpful things, I've read that you can get plastic luggage tag holders to put these luggage tags in n your bags so they don't get torn off. Is that a good idea? Or a waste of money?

I bought a set of these tags many many years ago after standing in line one morning at a hotel desk waiting for a stapler to attach my tags before my departure that day. I have used them over and over throughout the years. They are convenient, sturdy and last forever. If you plan on cruising more than once, they are worth the nominal price. You can get them on Amazon. I have two sets. The narrow one for Celebrity and Royal and the wider ones for NCCL and Holland.

On 2/2/2023 at 11:20 AM, BirdTravels said:

Again, welcome to Cruise Critic!

If you are going to be a frequent cruiser, then it is a good investment. If this is a once-in-many-years activity, then probably a waste of money. 

Here's a hack: Put a piece of filament tape, duct tape, or clear packing tape on the back of your paper tags. That will help prevent tearing. We used to carry a roll of packing tape to secure the ends of our tags once we arrived in our embarkation city. 

The second recommendation is to place a tag on the top handle and the side handle of your suitcase in case one is torn off.

image.png.a36f4f6edd2c9f076a4a1e5785dbd14f.pngimage.png.66bc54337469d5b1ef4ff856315b3bfb.pngimage.png.161a7b7083c82c0b82c01018301b8af1.png

I like the Amazon luggage tag holders.  Highly recommended. 

That said, Platinum and above cruisers should have a roll of packing tape already (along with a kitchen garbage bag) to reinforce the rim of the free laundry bag.  I think it is silly to have two tags on a piece of luggage since most already have a normal luggage tag with their name, address, phone on it.  Worst case scenario which likely happens one in a hundred times (or less)?  You have to spend fifteen minutes getting your bag from the misfit luggage room.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That said, Platinum and above cruisers should have a roll of packing tape already (along with a kitchen garbage bag) to reinforce the rim of the free laundry bag.  I think it is silly to have two tags on a piece of luggage since most already have a normal luggage tag with their name, address, phone on it.  Worst case scenario which likely happens one in a hundred times (or less)?  You have to spend fifteen minutes getting your bag from the misfit luggage room.  

Hey Chief, we are going on our first NCL cruise next week and I was curious about the dimensions of the laundry bag. I’d like to bring a plastic bag to line the inside of the paper bag. What size should I bring?

21 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

A luggage tag with a name, address, phone does not get the bag to your room. It sits in the naughty room along with all of the other confiscated luggage. Of course, it is already dinner time when you finally accept that your bag is not coming and you start the search for it. And the last time I had a bag confiscated, it was a 45 minute wait because everyone with real contraband had to open and have security search their luggage while everyone else waited in line. I got much better things to do. 

As a Diamond member, I always have two tags on all of my bags on every cruise. And have had my "amazon tag holders" ripped off by porters, security, ship's personnel. 

13 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Really?  Has this ever actually happened?

I worked 29 years for a major airline changing hats function with Lost & Found.

I have seen pretty much everything that can happen to luggage baggage freight cargo.

Actually happening on NCL or other cruise lines - - -

Take a look at the cruise line's naughty room aka guest services Lost & Found - - -

There maybe more than something naughty going on with those distressed pieces of luggage.

Luggage/Baggage gorillas may be found in almost any travel industry.

Except for computer sorted luggage machinery - what could be so bad about placing more

than one tag on {OR IN} the luggage in case of loss of ID (handle included).

I like to feel good about having my cruise line checked luggage at my stateroom door

sometime in the early afternoon - - - - - !

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is the purpose of the plastic bag to out inside the paper laundry bag?

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

As a Diamond member, I always have two tags on all of my bags on every cruise. And have had my "amazon tag holders" ripped off by porters, security, ship's personnel. 

I use the ones that connect to the luggage with a wire.  Awfully hard to rip off.  You need a wife cutter.

• Haha 1

I am thinking that the OP meant wire cutter. And I agree with the response.

In the decades that I have used my plastic tags attached by their wires, I have never had a tag stolen from a piece of luggage. And truly, what would be the point for someone to do that?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

A luggage tag with a name, address, phone does not get the bag to your room. It sits in the naughty room along with all of the other confiscated luggage. Of course, it is already dinner time when you finally accept that your bag is not coming and you start the search for it. And the last time I had a bag confiscated, it was a 45 minute wait because everyone with real contraband had to open and have security search their luggage while everyone else waited in line. I got much better things to do. 

I guess it depends upon what time you eat.  If I spent twice as much time double tagging each bag prior to each cruise, and goofing around with twice as many of those nice but finicky little rolling fasteners for each suitcase I would easily offset that 45 minutes in about two cruises.  I've been on many cruises and have never had a tag "ripped off."  For most of those cruises I just stapled on the paper with no further reinforcement.  Did you tip your porter?  (jk)

Just curious.  How does being Diamond status impact this process?

12 hours ago, PapaGoose said:

Hey Chief, we are going on our first NCL cruise next week and I was curious about the dimensions of the laundry bag. I’d like to bring a plastic bag to line the inside of the paper bag. What size should I bring?

I just take a tall kitchen garbage bag.  Also, don't forget a small roll of packing tape.  Those NCL paper bags are well designed to burst at the slightest amount of "stuffing."  Even with an inner bag lining, the bag will rip from top to bottom if you don't run a line of tape around the rim.  Do the tape and bag routine and you'll likely get twice as much laundry in the bag.  Of course, if you're just doing a couple of items ala carte' (i.e. per item pricing), it makes no difference as you could just use more NCL bags.  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I just take a tall kitchen garbage bag.  Also, don't forget a small roll of packing tape.  Those NCL paper bags are well designed to burst at the slightest amount of "stuffing."  Even with an inner bag lining, the bag will rip from top to bottom if you don't run a line of tape around the rim.  Do the tape and bag routine and you'll likely get twice as much laundry in the bag.  Of course, if you're just doing a couple of items ala carte' (i.e. per item pricing), it makes no difference as you could just use more NCL bags.  Good luck!

Thanks Brother! Good advice as always!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Except for computer sorted luggage machinery - what could be so bad about placing more

than one tag on {OR IN} the luggage in case of loss of ID (handle included).

I like to feel good about having my cruise line checked luggage at my stateroom door

sometime in the early afternoon - - - - - !

Well, I guess it's to each their own.  Would NCL really open your bag to find your in-the-luggage info?  I would think they would just wait for you to show up and claim the orphaned bag.  Maybe my three initial monograms would help establish my ownership (assuming both my Amazon ship tag and normal luggage tags had somehow gone missing).  I use high quality luggage so if something actually ripped the entire handle off I would likely have other problems.

5 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Yes!  Put clothing inside the bag, squeeze out as much air as possible, slide bag into paper bag.

I use method B (empty garbage bag into the paper bag, then commence stuffing).  I filled two bags on the Sky last week, and I dare say that each was actually something to be proud of! 😎  This was the first time I used both tape and garbage bag.  Much better than garbage bag alone.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I use the ones that connect to the luggage with a wire.  Awfully hard to rip off.  You need a wire cutter.

Obviously not an engineer who believes marketing hype from tag manufactures. The strap is not the weak point that would get torn. It is the plastic sleeve. 

After reading this thread I’m going to be getting a roll of sticky labels and write the relevant details on that as a backup on the outside of the bag. I use hard shell cases these days and never black after the experience of Charles De Galle in Paris delivering the wrong bag to me when it didn’t show up on the carousel.
basically anything you can add that will make your bag unique increases the chances of getting it back if it goes astray.