Specialty Restaurants

vmarq

I dine at them only using the Free at Sea dining package, and more recently as part of the perks for reaching Platinum status.  They are better than the main dining room, but I would never pay directly with either real money or OBC.  Remember you have already paid for the main dining room.... the charges are supposedly the value above the MDR meal.  They are not worth that to me.

• Like 3

Having just returned and used three specialty dining, I would only use specialty dining if it were part of a promotion. I would not buy a la carte or purchase additional specialty dining packages.

The variety might be specifically better than some of the MDR offering, but it isn’t quantifiable better than the MDR or even the buffet. I would be very happy to eat in the MDR or buffet for every meal. The best food we ate was in port. If I was going to allocate more money for food, I would spend it in port. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vmarq said:

Just wondering for those of you who have sailed NCL, are the specialty restaurants worth the extra cost?  Thank you

No. You have paid for a cruise that includes all meals. Don't fall in the trap of paying more for food that that you have already paid for. Save your money. 

If you have a show to get to, your MDR waiters will serve you in the time you want. Specialty dining will take longer. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No. You have paid for a cruise that includes all meals. Don't fall in the trap of paying more for food that that you have already paid for. Save your money. 

If you have a show to get to, your MDR waiters will serve you in the time you want. Specialty dining will take longer. 

Agree with this. And specialty dining, in our experience, was no faster or better than MDR. 

Save your money. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lupush said:

If you are in a standard cabin, yes 100%  If you are in Haven, the Haven Restaurant is as good if not better than the specialty offerings.

BINGO!   The Haven restaurant was far better than any specialty restaurant we dined in on the Getaway during our 12 cruise. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, vmarq said:

Just wondering for those of you who have sailed NCL, are the specialty restaurants worth the extra cost?  Thank you

I would say "yes," for a number of reasons:

1. Food quality. We've had some truly excellent meals (especially La Cucina) in the specialty restaurants.

2. More intimacy. It just feels like you're in a regular restaurant, more so than the MDR (which aren't bad, BTW).

3. Value. While it's true that you've already paid for the included restaurants, there's no way to quantify that any more than you can say how much of your cruise fare pays the officers' salaries, the paint, the upholstery on the chairs, the ingredients in the food at the buffet, etc. And we think the value is there, in that we're getting what we paid for. Bearing in mind that the FAS means you're only paying for the gratuity, your cruise fare has in essence already "paid for" the specialty restaurants, or at least the 2 we generally get for 'free.'

If anything, we love to mix it up during the cruise and eat at the specialty restaurants a few nights, the free restaurants, the included Asian place and the Garden Café.

4 hours ago, Lupush said:

If you are in a standard cabin, yes 100%  If you are in Haven, the Haven Restaurant is as good if not better than the specialty offerings.

Given the Haven prices, it damn well better be! 😉 😄💰💰💰

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, vmarq said:

I would not pay any extra for the specialty restaurants other than the FAS service charge. Certainly not worth it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Given the Haven prices, it damn well better be! 😉 😄💰💰💰

If you have ever sailed in a Royal Caribbean suite, their suites restaurant (Coastal Kitchen) can be crap. We normally sail in suites on Royal, but walked out of their suites restaurant more than once on our Alaska cruise last year and went to the buffet for "better" food. 

• Like 1

I agree with others who say Specialty Dining is better than MDRs or buffet.  But I still wouldn't pay for it.  I'll go if I get it with FAS or other promo, but there is no way I would pay for it.  I just don't think it's that much better than other free options to justify the extra cost.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you have ever sailed in a Royal Caribbean suite, their suites restaurant (Coastal Kitchen) can be crap. We normally sail in suites on Royal, but walked out of their suites restaurant more than once on our Alaska cruise last year and went to the buffet for "better" food. 

Suites are too rich for our blood. Maybe once I retire... Our only comparison would be the MSC Yacht Club, and their food is spectacular (in my opinion, and we all know how individual tastes are).

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I agree with others who say Specialty Dining is better than MDRs or buffet.  But I still wouldn't pay for it.  I'll go if I get it with FAS or other promo, but there is no way I would pay for it.  I just don't think it's that much better than other free options to justify the extra cost.

I agree. The gap needs to be wider to want it. I’m just afraid the gap is more likely to widen because MDR gets worse, not because specialty improves. 

Once again...it all depends.  On a lot of things.

Assuming you get two free...

If you live were good Italian food is rare, then La Cucina is worth tying. The smoked pork shank (if available) is very good.  Other std Italian dishes are done well.  If you live were there are lots of Italian food, then it probably isn't much better than what you are used to.

We always have enjoyed La Bistro.  My wife loves escargot,  and it is always good there.  The french onion soup is a clear cut above what they serve in MDR.  Main dishes have always been above avg. Not many french options in most of the US, so a good variation. 

Moderno, last week on Breakaway was great.  Last year on Dawn was so-so.  But much smaller area on Dawn, smaller salad bar. Smaller kitchen.  Still lots of meat provided.  If your not into meat, then skip.

Cagney's.  Some rave about it.  Personally, I can make better steak at home,  Maybe not the prime rib.  If you enjoy lamb, then probably a good choice.  Their sides are lacking for an upper class steak house.  The desserts however, are phenomenal.

Teppenyaki's.  Std Japanese hibachi grill.  Lots of chain versions around, it isn't really any different than those.  But with a group of 4-10 friends, a good time.  And menu selections won't be in the MDR.

Ocean Blue.  Haven't tried it.  We live on the gulf coast and have fresh fish availability when we want it, so the menu doesn't excite us.  If you live far away from the coast, it might be a worthy choice for the menu selections.  

Mexican.  Only time we had it was on the Bliss in 2019.  It may have been changed to Moderno by now.  Several local Mexican places are far better.  Skip it, if it is available.

• Like 1

Our first foray into La Cucina was in 2021 on the Gem, and it was outstanding. I had the Osso Buco, which was downright delicious and melt-in-your-mouth tender. I also had the pasta e fagioli soup, which was also excellent. My wife and I shared the burrata appetizer, which was heavenly. Now, if I were in Italy, I probably would have gotten a somewhat better meal, depending where I was and how much I spent. But it was VERY, VERY good food. I also know food is one of the most subjective things on earth. What I like, you might not. I read countless reviews of the "terrible" pizza on MSC, because there wasn't much cheese, few toppings, and the crust was 'burnt.' Well no s***, Sherlock, THAT'S HOW ITALIANS MAKE PIZZA. 🤣 If you didn't like it, it doesn't mean it was 'wrong.'

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 10:10 PM, vmarq said:

It's a personal choice..we LOVE specialty dining on any cruise ship or cruise lines...the difference between the MDR & specialty dining is night & day IMO...a steak in the MDR is 99% of the time small, dry & tasteless..Cagney's on the other hand has great steaks...our dinner in Ocean Blue on the NCL Encore is still ranked #1 in my book for THEE best meal at sea ever..we dined outside over looking the sunset right at the water's edge..started with Tiger Shrimp, which was the best shrimp cocktail I've ever had, followed by Lobster Thermador ( 1 & 1/2 lbs..), also great, then a Key Lime Pie for dessert..I almost called the 911 medics it was so good..none of this experience can be had in the MDR...Cagney's was great, as was Le Bistro & Teppanyaki's ( Japanese hibachi..)..also I notice many of you are forgetting the intimate ambiance is special- so much more romantic..the ambiance in a specialty venue is SOOO much better than in those loud, very bright & busy MDR's..sometimes so noisy, we have found it hard to talk..not in specialty venue, though..always nice & quiet & often romantic...you don't have 1000 people talking loudly with 200 waiters running back & forth..it's just so much nicer IMO...in general, 90% of my MDR meals on my 43 cruises on 7 cruise lines have been somewhere between fair & OK...almost NEVER do I leave the MDR saying ,"that was great- can't wait to come tomorrow!"...BUT 95 % of my specialty dining experiences have been between "very good & amazing"...also, my wife works very hard and I feel she deserves some special dining adventures..and the MDR, IMO is never a "special dining adventure"..sitting in a quiet venue with 35-75 people with the lights low & soft music...now we're talkin'!!

Big Al

Edited by big al
added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, big al said:

Cagney's was great, as was Le Bistro & Teppanyaki's ( Japanese hibachi..)..also the intimate ambiance is special- so much more romantic..you don't have 1000 people talking loudly with 200 waiters running back & forth

Well said, @big al! We did the Teppanyaki on the Epic in December and loved it. The chef was very funny and entertaining, and the food was truly memorable. There's nothing like having your food cooked before your very eyes. They always ask if anyone has food allergies so they can prepare some things off to the side. And, like you, we enjoyed being at a table of only 6 people instead of 600!

• Like 2