ITA Airways seat question

claireruth

We're flying on ITA from MIA to FCO in March.  My husband and I are in business class, and our kids are in regular seating (they're 14 and 17).  My husband and I have seat assignments, but we can't seem to add seats for the kids on their website.  Some seats are taken, so I presume there's a way to do it.  My husband tried calling yesterday and was told that you can only reserve seats 24 hours before the flight, but since some seats are occupied already we wonder if the person he spoke with was wrong.  Should we just try again and hope we get someone that knows how to do it?  We booked through Delta, and Delta said we have to do seats through ITA.  We are using the ITA confirmation number, not the Delta.

When I try to do it online, this error message comes up which has to be something wrong with their website:

image.png.fca39168770ded4f127592797a425b90.png

12 hours ago, claireruth said:

We're flying on ITA from MIA to FCO in March.  My husband and I are in business class, and our kids are in regular seating (they're 14 and 17).  My husband and I have seat assignments, but we can't seem to add seats for the kids on their website.  Some seats are taken, so I presume there's a way to do it.  My husband tried calling yesterday and was told that you can only reserve seats 24 hours before the flight, but since some seats are occupied already we wonder if the person he spoke with was wrong. 

Besides the cringe factor of treating your kids, literally, as second class citizens, usually all passengers on the reservation have to be in the same classes of travel, same flights etc. Is there a separate PNR for your children's reservation?

It is certainly possible that the agent was correct. Some passengers, typically those with status or on more flexible or full fare tickets, may be able to pre-assign seats at booking or further ahead. Booking codeshares, consolidator tickets and such can add extra complexities that may prevent certain services being fulfilled.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fbgd said:

Besides the cringe factor of treating your kids, literally, as second class citizens, usually all passengers on the reservation have to be in the same classes of travel, same flights etc. Is there a separate PNR for your children's reservation?

It is certainly possible that the agent was correct. Some passengers, typically those with status or on more flexible or full fare tickets, may be able to pre-assign seats at booking or further ahead. Booking codeshares, consolidator tickets and such can add extra complexities that may prevent certain services being fulfilled.

They're getting to go to Europe and on a Mediterranean cruise for spring break as teenagers...I don't feel bad for them that they aren't in business class with us!  

I've never had a problem booking code share seats on other airlines, so I was surprised this was giving me trouble.  Thanks for being judgmental instead of helpful though.

• Like 1

When do you fly?? Is this cruise air or booked directly with the carrier?

Have the tickets actually been issued? You should be able to find it on ITA's website. If you fly in late March, it's possible the tickets were not issued, which from the screenshot you sent, sort of seems to be what's happening.

Just a thought though.

Edited by megr1125

Seat assignment rules are often different for business class and economy.  Why do you assume that what applies to your business class ticket also applies to their coach ticket?

And why do you assume that the agent you talked to was wrong?  Because they gave you an answer that you didn't like?

And if this is being judgmental, well so be it.

• Like 2