MSC Pricing trends

Just getting back to cruising now after a long hiatus and one thing I've picked up on is that prices seem to be higher now than even a month or two ago, in terms of the industry in general. Have the longtime MSC'ers noticed the same with MSC or has it been a more muted effect? It seems to me that for Yacht Club for instance, on a 7-day Caribbean $2400-2500/pp for a balcony seems to be the norm regardless of time of year or ship or itinerary or anything else. Was this the previous baseline as well? And do they discount cruises generally closer to sale date?

Just booked a Nov 25th cruise on Seascape yesterday in YC and am wondering whether there might be a significant shift in price from simply waiting towards closer to the cruise, shifting maybe to early January instead, or whether YC pricing is pretty steady/consistent and I shouldn't bother worrying about those things

I think like anything else it’s supply and demand. The ships are fuller now so the prices will creep up. 
MSC is still the lowest when I price match with other mass market lines (by a lot)

That seems to be about right for YC. If you book months ahead you qualify for some discounts/OBC whatever they’re offering at the time. 

Prices are definitely higher now on MSC and other lines than they were a few months ago. I got some great deals with Free Balcony & OBC by booking last fall for Jan & May this year. Prices now for the same cruises are 40-50% or more expensive if I booked now. There are still some good prices if you book 6-12 months in advance, but not as good as there were. The demand seems to be there to keep prices higher.

Much cheaper for US bookings also, we have just booked for Feb 2024, family of (2 adults & 2 children) in an interior.

UK site quoting £3,300 ($4,100) or £4,600 ($5,700) with drinks package, looked about online and booked with *****.com in the US, $3,100 (£2,500) or $4,000 (£3,200) with drinks package.

Only difference I can see is the UK price includes gratuities, even taking these into account we have saved around $1,000

15 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Depends where you cruise. MSC is sending all it's large ships to the Americas. Smaller ships in Europe. So, that might affect pricing.

In Europe the prices have EXPLODED. Especially for the mighty MSC World Europe, looks like everyone want to be on board in the inaugural season. 

• Like 1

MSC is not "that" cheap cruise corner here in Europe anymore. A World Europa sailing can very well to be more expensive than an RCI Oasis class here as well!... Simply there is demand... And people to fill those cabins. There remains being some nice deals here or there, but they're far more difficult to find! Oh, and the YC is now quickly reaching its competitors price, despite some smaller suites and the likes. Times are changing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nunagoras said:

MSC is not "that" cheap cruise corner here in Europe anymore. A World Europa sailing can very well to be more expensive than an RCI Oasis class here as well!... Simply there is demand... And people to fill those cabins. There remains being some nice deals here or there, but they're far more difficult to find! Oh, and the YC is now quickly reaching its competitors price, despite some smaller suites and the likes. Times are changing.

That's one of the things I was kind of wondering about... right now it seems like "normal" pricing on YC is about ~$350+/pp/day, which clearly it's climbing given the competition has given them space to do so. But I see some older posts/reviews of like YC for $200/pp/day and I'm just wondering if even up to a year or two ago that was the norm?

12 hours ago, Avatar345 said:

That's one of the things I was kind of wondering about... right now it seems like "normal" pricing on YC is about ~$350+/pp/day, which clearly it's climbing given the competition has given them space to do so. But I see some older posts/reviews of like YC for $200/pp/day and I'm just wondering if even up to a year or two ago that was the norm?

We were on Seaside in 2019 and YC was approx 3700 (7 night Jan. Carib cruise). We booked another cruise for 2021 on Meraviglia (also 7 night Carib in June) and I remember thinking how the price was 'higher' 

CAB − Cabin Fares (per PASSENGER) 2,016.94 PCH − Gov't Fees & Taxes 144.73 INCL − EXPYCA−YACHT CLUB: Exclusivity & Luxury − 01/17/21 0.00

Have been looking at YC Carib cruises and have consistently found 5200-5600 usually closer to 5600.

Ironically have a few X cruises booked and their boards are screaming with suite cruisers balking at the 9-11 k Retreat suites (for 7 days!) and many (including myself) have commented on the value of YC. 

So not happy about the prices rise in YC (and its strong popularity) but in the world of cruising remains a value if one can apply that term to any cruise price today.

The cruise prices have caused us to rethink or annual winter Caribbean cruise getaways to go to All Inclusive resorts- prices have risen but do not seem as bad as cruises and many advantages for us-

ability to cancel in a reasonable time, no dreaded night before hotel stays, huge rooms, generally better and more varied food etc.  JMHO

• Like 1

The pricing for our YC cruises have been pretty fairly consistent since 2019.   

Seaside for 2 adults and 1 child for late July 2019 was $6051 (YC1)

Seashore for 2 adults and 1 child for early April 2022 was $5819 (YC1)

Seaside for 2 adults and 1 child for mid June 2023 is $6148 (YC1)

2 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

We were on Seaside in 2019 and YC was approx 3700 (7 night Jan. Carib cruise). We booked another cruise for 2021 on Meraviglia (also 7 night Carib in June) and I remember thinking how the price was 'higher' 

CAB − Cabin Fares (per PASSENGER) 2,016.94 PCH − Gov't Fees & Taxes 144.73 INCL − EXPYCA−YACHT CLUB: Exclusivity & Luxury − 01/17/21 0.00

Have been looking at YC Carib cruises and have consistently found 5200-5600 usually closer to 5600.

Ironically have a few X cruises booked and their boards are screaming with suite cruisers balking at the 9-11 k Retreat suites (for 7 days!) and many (including myself) have commented on the value of YC. 

So not happy about the prices rise in YC (and its strong popularity) but in the world of cruising remains a value if one can apply that term to any cruise price today.

The cruise prices have caused us to rethink or annual winter Caribbean cruise getaways to go to All Inclusive resorts- prices have risen but do not seem as bad as cruises and many advantages for us-

ability to cancel in a reasonable time, no dreaded night before hotel stays, huge rooms, generally better and more varied food etc.  JMHO

Oh man 3700 total would be NICE! :) Even that 2021cruise of yours seems a strong deal compared to the current landscape. 

But I do know what you mean concerning Celebrity Suites... Celebrity was actually my preferred cruise line and they're who I was originally pricing this itinerary with, but w/a 2-yr old the concierge verandahs were pricing out ~$3,000, and a Sky Suite would've been ~$9,000+. I was having a real mental block with paying so much additional for that toddler. It's on those boards that I picked up on the defection/move to Yacht Class on MSC and started diving into it as an option. I reaaaallly was excited about this certain itinerary on the Reflection on Nov 25th (same sail date), but ultimately for a new ship out of Miami on YC w/some destination overlap, Seascape YC won out. 

Having never done a suite except on Princess before I still wonder if grabbing that itinerary in a balcony cabin for less might have been the move, but I do think/expect that this Yacht Club experience will feel like a big step up from that. 

As for AI's, never much been a fan of them myself though ironically I love cruising; on land I prefer to stay somewhere cool and go out to restaurants and such. Also was big into going to Hawaii for a stretch there, which is what took me out of cruising, but time to get back into it I think

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clemsonlori98 said:

The pricing for our YC cruises have been pretty fairly consistent since 2019.   

Seaside for 2 adults and 1 child for late July 2019 was $6051 (YC1)

Seashore for 2 adults and 1 child for early April 2022 was $5819 (YC1)

Seaside for 2 adults and 1 child for mid June 2023 is $6148 (YC1)

I don't know if your post makes me feel better or worse given you're sailing at peak peak times, but I'll go with better because at least they do seem consistent! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avatar345 said:

Oh man 3700 total would be NICE! :) Even that 2021cruise of yours seems a strong deal compared to the current landscape. 

But I do know what you mean concerning Celebrity Suites... Celebrity was actually my preferred cruise line and they're who I was originally pricing this itinerary with, but w/a 2-yr old the concierge verandahs were pricing out ~$3,000, and a Sky Suite would've been ~$9,000+. I was having a real mental block with paying so much additional for that toddler. It's on those boards that I picked up on the defection/move to Yacht Class on MSC and started diving into it as an option. I reaaaallly was excited about this certain itinerary on the Reflection on Nov 25th (same sail date), but ultimately for a new ship out of Miami on YC w/some destination overlap, Seascape YC won out. 

Having never done a suite except on Princess before I still wonder if grabbing that itinerary in a balcony cabin for less might have been the move, but I do think/expect that this Yacht Club experience will feel like a big step up from that. 

As for AI's, never much been a fan of them myself though ironically I love cruising; on land I prefer to stay somewhere cool and go out to restaurants and such. Also was big into going to Hawaii for a stretch there, which is what took me out of cruising, but time to get back into it I think

I think (hope) you will love YC.

We were also big X fans.  We enjoyed Aqua Class but were dismayed by the lack of true balconies on the new X ships (not willing to pay the suite prices of today). 

We always (ten years+) did at least one (1) week cruise in Jan/Feb Carib as a 'getaway'. When prices went up (2022 till now) we started eschewing these cruises and did AI 's.  

We really fell in love with:

-flying directly to our resort -not worrying about weather delays, night before hotels, wasting a day for check in, etc.

- if something comes up we aren't in a quandary for the 3 mos. before. Cancellations within 3-7 days are possible

-we like spending time in the ocean- in 10 years of cruises we were probably in the ocean for a total of 40 hours

- it's nice to have a 300-600 ft. room and giant bathroom

-room service with full menus, stocked mini bars, functional wi-fi

-giant pools where we now we can get a chair anytime.... and SWIM UP bars

We never looked at AI's until the last few years.

Anyway, just our opinion.

1 hour ago, Avatar345 said:

I don't know if your post makes me feel better or worse given you're sailing at peak peak times, but I'll go with better because at least they do seem consistent! 🙂

We had come from Disney Cruise Line sailing Concierge prior to 2019.   You could do 2, 7 night YC cruises the for the price of 1, Cat V Concierge room on DCL.    We are hooked on MSC.   Can't beat the price/product.   

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

I think (hope) you will love YC.

We were also big X fans.  We enjoyed Aqua Class but were dismayed by the lack of true balconies on the new X ships (not willing to pay the suite prices of today). 

We always (ten years+) did at least one (1) week cruise in Jan/Feb Carib as a 'getaway'. When prices went up (2022 till now) we started eschewing these cruises and did AI 's.  

We really fell in love with:

-flying directly to our resort -not worrying about weather delays, night before hotels, wasting a day for check in, etc.

- if something comes up we aren't in a quandary for the 3 mos. before. Cancellations within 3-7 days are possible

-we like spending time in the ocean- in 10 years of cruises we were probably in the ocean for a total of 40 hours

- it's nice to have a 300-600 ft. room and giant bathroom

-room service with full menus, stocked mini bars, functional wi-fi

-giant pools where we now we can get a chair anytime.... and SWIM UP bars

We never looked at AI's until the last few years.

Anyway, just our opinion.

Which AIs are your favorites?  We have been curious about this type of vacation, but have never done one.  Thank you.

45 minutes ago, pcrum said:

Which AIs are your favorites?  We have been curious about this type of vacation, but have never done one.  Thank you.

I would not presume to make recommendations with the limited props we have been at. We have done Hyatt Ziva and Zilara in Cancun several times as well as those in DR and Jamaica and found them wonderful and keeping with the quality (at least) one would expect in YC with the other benefits mentioned above that we have found. One additional bonus is that you can have adults only (Zilara) or with children (Ziva)as you see fit. No pressure on winter flight from Midwest, car to the resort and usually enjoying dinner and drinks that evening. We still like being on a ship but for us (besides the expense) the whole experience seems less relaxing and simple than it used to be. Will still use cruises to visit itineraries that we want to see conveniently.

I was on the second sailing after the pandemic on Meraviglia (August 2021) and have been on eight MSC cruises since then.  All but one was in the YC.  For me as a solo, the prices have skyrocketed.  I was able to book a YC Deluxe Suite for less than $200/day back during the restart, but now the pricing I am seeing for June through September of this year is $550 - $600/night.  I was told by one of the Future Cruise Consultants onboard the Meraviglia back in November that MSC was going to be getting rid of their reduced solo supplements starting in mid-2023.  It sure seems like that has come true.

• Like 2

Everyone’s pricing is going up.  I know I will never see as good a deal as I got last year on Carnival with a $400 solo balcony to Alaska.  

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

I was on the second sailing after the pandemic on Meraviglia (August 2021) and have been on eight MSC cruises since then.  All but one was in the YC.  For me as a solo, the prices have skyrocketed.  I was able to book a YC Deluxe Suite for less than $200/day back during the restart, but now the pricing I am seeing for June through September of this year is $550 - $600/night.  I was told by one of the Future Cruise Consultants onboard the Meraviglia back in November that MSC was going to be getting rid of their reduced solo supplements starting in mid-2023.  It sure seems like that has come true.

MSC is filling their ships up now.  No reason to fill cabins at half capacity now.  Probably not going to see those steals again until the Galveston MSC terminal opens and they need people on those first sailings.  

14 minutes ago, mowogo said:

"Probably not going to see those steals again until the Galveston MSC terminal opens and they need people on those first sailings."

Hmmm . . .

Galveston is several hours closer than Miami. 🤔 Introductory pricing from Texas would have to be really great, though, because I doubt the itineraries would be any more interesting than those from Florida.

2 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Hmmm . . .

Galveston is several hours closer than Miami. 🤔 Introductory pricing from Texas would have to be really great, though, because I doubt the itineraries would be any more interesting than those from Florida.

Unfortunately you are right there about the itineraries.  The New York sailings kind of prove that out.  I kind of want to do the inaugural but only one port I have any interest in (Ocean Cay).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

YC prices are aggressively on the rise. I was looking for a good deal for summer and such a thing doesn't exist. Those prices are approaching Haven and luxury lines. Not quite the yet but getting closer for sure. It was only a matter of time.  

What would you view as a sort-of line of demarcation for YC pricing in terms of what you would consider to be a "good" price and what would be abnormally high? Being new to MSC I've only got my ~$2,500/pp/wk to go on that I've been seeing a lot, but certainly on certain Med sailings for instance I've seen it go much higher. And then on the other hand I've seen where around those dates and such Haven and Retreat cabins are still a good bit higher though