Is HAL as BAD as the latest reviews-------food-entertainment??????

fb0075

5 hours ago, robotpony said:

There was a shelf of hot sauces in the Lido on each side of the buffet line, so I imagine that the MDR would have something available too.

They generally have Tabasco but sometimes you have to ask a few times for it.  I like to tell them I will want it when they take my order so it’s easier on them.  I would say they do forget most of the time to bring it.

I’ve never seen a shelf of hot sauce in the lido.  I have seen a tray of hot sauces at times.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

16 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’ve never seen a shelf of hot sauce in the lido.  I have seen a tray of hot sauces at times.

This was on the NS in November/December, and there was some counter space between two stations on each side of the buffet that had that tray (sometimes not on the tray) of hot sauces. There were 6 or so sauces, including tobasco, something jerk, and a few Mexican classics. The sauces were great on breakfast potatoes and eggs, and also on some of the more spartan sandwiches. 

I didn't notice these on the Koningsdam in the summer, but I also wasn't looking for them (and we didn't eat in the Lido much on that trip).

I should mention that if folks are looking for spicy food, I found the South East Asian dishes could pack a punch (in the Lido), especially the curries. You can also get these in the MDR if you ask, though I think they need 24 hour notice unless they've already prepared some. The curries are some of the more authentic and flavourful foods on HAL we've seen. Lots of other great foods, of course, but the curries come close to some of the best we've had in hotels at least.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, robotpony said:

This was on the NS in November/December, and there was some counter space between two stations on each side of the buffet that had that tray (sometimes not on the tray) of hot sauces. There were 6 or so sauces, including tobasco, something jerk, and a few Mexican classics. The sauces were great on breakfast potatoes and eggs, and also on some of the more spartan sandwiches. 

I didn't notice these on the Koningsdam in the summer, but I also wasn't looking for them (and we didn't eat in the Lido much on that trip).

I should mention that if folks are looking for spicy food, I found the South East Asian dishes could pack a punch (in the Lido), especially the curries. You can also get these in the MDR if you ask, though I think they need 24 hour notice unless they've already prepared some. The curries are some of the more authentic and flavourful foods on HAL we've seen. Lots of other great foods, of course, but the curries come close to some of the best we've had in hotels at least.

Thanks for the information on the curries.  You never know how spicy something will be.  I asked in the tamarind on the koningsdam for medium and I don’t think there was a drop of spice.  On other ships I’m sweating from the spice.  I didn’t see much hot sauce on the koningsdam but usually I had a bun and salad for lunch so I didn’t use it.  I really like sambal but sometimes it’s not easy to get on the ship.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thanks for the information on the curries.  You never know how spicy something will be.  I asked in the tamarind on the koningsdam for medium and I don’t think there was a drop of spice.

You're right; Tamarind was not super authentic and definitely not spicy, which was could have been better.

The spicy curries were in the Lido on the far end of one of the stations (and for our cruise were mostly Indian and Malaysian I think). I didn't try ordering it from the MDR in 2022, but I was going to try in April when we go to Hawaii for some spicy variety. For what it's worth, one of the entertainers mentioned that the Lido/MDR curries are sometimes cooked by people from the region, something they are more familiar with and passionate about, which is why they are sometimes quite authentic. I hope this is true!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DCThunder said:

In other words, clickbait!

Click bait is really something that is intended to take you to another website.  Usually an advertizement for that website.  

I don't think this was intended as clickbait.  I think that this person just wanted to get a HAL bashing thread going, or to bash HAL his/her self.  They have not responded with any other comment and are asking about other cruise lines.

• Like 1

Can't wait to hop on board the Rotterdam in May.  Last cruise with HAL was 2018 on the Volendam.  We are not super picky people, and think the food is decent.  Last cruise was with Celebrity.  Slight nod to their entertainment, can't say their food was superior to HAL.  We usually eat in MDR.  We like the wrap around promenade deck. 

Edited by Dancing Shoes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Can't wait to hop on board the Rotterdam in May.  Last cruise with HAL was 2018 on the Volendam.  We are not super picky people, and think the food is decent.  Last cruise was with Celebrity.  Slight nod to their entertainment, can't say their food was superior to HAL.  We usually eat in MDR.  We like the wrap around promenade deck. 

While we have been on HAL and Princess within the last few months and cannot comment directly about Celebrity, some friends of our have been on Hal Princess and Celebrity within the last four months.  They consider HAL to have the best MDR food of the 3.  with Princess second and Celebrity third.  For our cruises we also consider HAL to have had the best MDR food, a bit better than Princess.

9 hours ago, ldtr said:

Funny thing is that I thought you had stated that you did not like or could not drive  to drive anywhere and have repeatedly have given it as reasons why you could not do things during the shutdown and during the restart.  That you only wanted to cruise out of San Diego because due to your age it was to difficult to travel anywhere else.

Will be interesting to hear about services in the various hotels, which to a large degree have declined even more than on cruise lines.  As well as the increased number of points that they are requiring compared to 2019.  

Driving in Calif or to Arizona where we are  vacationing  really are not bad drives  ,Actually the one going to Scottsdale AZ  is the longest   ,perhaps  8 hours with many stops  to rest & eat  .In Calif all the trips will be in less than 3 to 5 hours & most in the 2 hr range  .Before we go to Oakhurst Ca (gateway to the southern entrance to Yosemite National Park ,we stop at our daughters home  for several days  then onto Oakhurst where we will be 3 days . The rest are relatively short travels  by car & we will have a new touring Subaru SUV to do it in 

Perhaps you got  our reluctance to fly mixed up . We only now cruise from either San Diego ,about a 30 minute drive or San Pedro ,LA county ,a 1 ,.75 hour drive  . HAL is out of  SD while Celebrity ,Princess , Royal Caribbean are out of  the World Cruise Center ,San Pedro & Carnival is out of Long Beach .all very reach able  by car  . Long Beach is about the same distance as San Pedo 

As we are getting older   it seems a bit more difficult but we will go as long as we  can  the alternatives are not very good

6 hours ago, robotpony said:

You're right; Tamarind was not super authentic and definitely not spicy, which was could have been better.

The spicy curries were in the Lido on the far end of one of the stations (and for our cruise were mostly Indian and Malaysian I think). I didn't try ordering it from the MDR in 2022, but I was going to try in April when we go to Hawaii for some spicy variety. For what it's worth, one of the entertainers mentioned that the Lido/MDR curries are sometimes cooked by people from the region, something they are more familiar with and passionate about, which is why they are sometimes quite authentic. I hope this is true!

Interesting.  I read the Tamarind restaurant menu and figured this, so booked Rudi's instead.  Many of the dishes in Tamarind are going to lack if under spiced and the HAL demographic may not be the spicey food crew.  If the chefs do not know how to make those dishes spikey, they might just throw in chili, sambal or flakes, which will ruin some dishes.  I may go for apps and drinks if possible, but likely will steer clear on this cruise.

8 hours ago, bdd123 said:

Click bait is really something that is intended to take you to another website.  Usually an advertizement for that website.  

Not to get into an argument on the definition of "clickbait", but I see the term as a provocative headline or subject line designed to attract eyeballs and get otherwise uninterested web surfers to click on the article/ad and pay attention to it or read it.  That may or may not require clicking to another website.

Nevertheless, I don't disagree with your second point is the intent was to start ANOTHER HAL bashing thread, since there aren't enough of those floating around CC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

the intent was to start ANOTHER HAL bashing thread, since there aren't enough of those floating around CC.

Clearly that is the intent of these posts whether it is coming from a new or veteran poster. A cursory look at their profile(s) usually shows these as one off posts into this forum and that their sailing experiences with HAL have been limited if at all. 

4 hours ago, bdd123 said:

Interesting.  I read the Tamarind restaurant menu and figured this, so booked Rudi's instead.  Many of the dishes in Tamarind are going to lack if under spiced and the HAL demographic may not be the spicey food crew.  If the chefs do not know how to make those dishes spikey, they might just throw in chili, sambal or flakes, which will ruin some dishes.  I may go for apps and drinks if possible, but likely will steer clear on this cruise.

I think there were some apps available to order in the Tamarind bar, but I'm not sure what they were. I enjoyed Tamarind very much, but I didn't go for the spicy items. Best duck I've had in ages.

I think HAL does assume that their demographic is not into spicy food. I tend to order mild or medium salsa or guacamole, depending on if I know the restaurant's scale of heat. But the salsa and guac at the taco station were too mild for me. (I usually got just guac and chips to go with a salad) The only thing spicy there was the ground beef, so if I had a taco, the milder accompaniments worked well for me.

11 hours ago, bdd123 said:

I don't think this was intended as clickbait.  I think that this person just wanted to get a HAL bashing thread going, or to bash HAL his/her self.  They have not responded with any other comment and are asking about other cruise lines.

Edited by shack

Back on topic.

I've done 3 cruises (K and NS) with HAL in 2022 for 33 nights. Overall, there were good and bad features.

The ships were new and comfortable. Crowded but quiet nooks were still to be found. Food preparation was good, though the quality of meat was disappointing. No wow factor here.

For my tastes, entertainment was fine. I enjoyed the Step One production, marvelling at the integration of technology and choreography. LCS added just the right touch of quality. There was loud music elsewhere on Music Walk.

I found that there were sufficient activities and events for a 16 day itinerary. Though it may become tedious for a cruise longer than that.

Hope this helps the OP.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I think there were some apps available to order in the Tamarind bar, but I'm not sure what they were. I enjoyed Tamarind very much, but I didn't go for the spicy items. Best duck I've had in ages.

We also enjoyed Tamarind, even if it wasn't super authentic or spicy. It is good Asian fusion, sometimes great. Lots of flavour and some interesting variety (and some of the best lamb chops I've ever had).

You can also order from the Nami menu while at Tamarind, and their miso soup (the last we had it at least) is some of the best we've had. They use a smokey bonito as part of the dashi that gives the soup a deep and savoury flavour (and we eat a lot of miso soup living on the west coast).

• Like 1

Generally I find that people who have something to complain about are more likely to post something after getting back from a cruise than those who had a great cruise, are happy for it, and just get back to regular life after getting home.  I'm that way myself.  Most of the cruises we go on are either very good or excellent, but I almost never post a review for those.  I have, however, voiced my displeasure after getting home from a cruise.  Just human nature I guess.  I find cruises a bit like pizza and sex though; even when they are "bad" they are still pretty good.

Wife and I are fairly experienced cruisers, with over 35, on many different lines.  We are sailing the NS in April, and sailed the NA at Christmas with our adult kids.  I will say, I was a bit disappointed with the NA.  Found the entertainment to be somewhat limited, did not like that the lido buffet was closed from 8:30 to 10:30, and the internet was horrendous.  The food quality was good, but enjoyed having more options to choose from in the dining room back in the pre-covid days.   After the first day I was kind of ticked off at these things.  But really what it meant was we just needed to adjust and plan just a bit more.  Checking menus and entertainment schedules earlier in the day, and then make sure if we wanted to grab a snack at the lido, get there before 8:30.  No workaround for the internet issue; it just sucks, and I really hope its better on the NS.   Only prayer is that they get starlink on board before April.  I wont hold my breath.

We had a good time on our NA cruise; just not as good as we have has in the past.  I hope cruising gets back to pre-covid days again.  The industry got the screw-job with horrible and unfair policies by bad and heavy-handed government.   It crippled cruise lines, even more that most other sectors of the economy, which were also unfairly assaulted with horrendous rules and policy.   Hope we can recover.  Until then there will be some cutbacks; and it will be avid cruisers who keep the industry afloat.

• Like 4

On 2/3/2023 at 12:57 AM, pirate_dad said:

. They cut out the NY Strip steak option and only do it on occasion or you can get the $40 dry aged. 

We did a cruise last year and I was very disappointed to see that the "everyday" menu was no longer available. I'm a fussy eater so knowing that I could always get the strip steak if I didn't like the daily menu was important. On that cruise we skipped the MDR twice because there was nothing I liked.

But, that said, someone in another thread on here said that you can still get the daily steak, you just have to ask for it, they don't put out a printed menu. We are about to go on a 14 day cruise on the Oosterdam and I very much hope this is correct, though I am probably not optimistic.

2 hours ago, ukpylot said:

We did a cruise last year and I was very disappointed to see that the "everyday" menu was no longer available. I'm a fussy eater so knowing that I could always get the strip steak if I didn't like the daily menu was important. On that cruise we skipped the MDR twice because there was nothing I liked.

But, that said, someone in another thread on here said that you can still get the daily steak, you just have to ask for it, they don't put out a printed menu. We are about to go on a 14 day cruise on the Oosterdam and I very much hope this is correct, though I am probably not optimistic.

Let us know - it would be good to know the standard daily items are still available on request, maybe even for room service...

34 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The "everyday" menu is still there. It has changed slightly, but is still there.

On my cruise, the "everyday" items were at the end of the list of main courses, not shown as a separate list. I recall "rustic lasagna" and roast chicken being there every night. I don't recall the steak, but it could have been there. The menu choices are more limited on gala nights because they print the fancy menu, but I would think that you could ask for the "everyday" items. 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

On my cruise, the "everyday" items were at the end of the list of main courses, not shown as a separate list. I recall "rustic lasagna" and roast chicken being there every night. I don't recall the steak, but it could have been there. The menu choices are more limited on gala nights because they print the fancy menu, but I would think that you could ask for the "everyday" items. 

Agree. There was a steak and Caesar Salad on the "everyday menu" as well.

• Like 1