Need cancellation help - one person did not sail; other person did

sacteach

On 2/2/2023 at 11:03 PM, sacteach said:

I definitely understand that and wasn't trying to get a balcony room by myself (though it was nice). But, this is what it says in the policy which is what I found last night after doing more research. Wouldn't the highlighted part at the bottom mean that I *don't* have to pay a single supplement. Should I be the one seeking a refund then? 

image.thumb.png.d7431741aa842bd1f0393d3cff007fa3.png

But there was no cancellation.  

On 2/1/2023 at 11:22 PM, sacteach said:

Last November, my friend and I booked a quick weekend cruise to Mexico. We both paid the insurance. The day before the cruise, my friend was sick and took the day off work. I called Carnival to ask about options if she did not go on the cruise. I was told that we could both cancel (cancel the room entirely), I could pay $100 to swap her with another person, or I could go on my own and she could file a claim for her portion (minus the $49 insurance).

The next morning, she was still sick, so I went without her. After I checked in, I went to the guest services desk (still in the terminal, not on the ship) and told them she wasn't coming and asked what we needed to do. They stated that they would remove her from the roster. I again asked about the insurance and they said she could file a claim.

For the last two months she's been trying to get a refund for her portion. She is getting back $100 from the insurance company and was told the rest would have to come from Carnival. They are saying that because she was a "no show" and I still went, that she doesn't get anything back. She asked for the written policy and they couldn't provide anything and I can't find anything about one person sailing and the other guest in the room not sailing.

Has anyone had this experience? Is there another route we should pursue? And if she can't get a refund, do I pay back what she paid me and basically the cruise cost me double than I planned? 

The terminal people aren't Carnival employees and it is always on the policy holder to understand their coverage

• Thanks 1

The whole problem stems from the fact that neither of you called Carnival to cancel prior to the sailing. She was a no show and telling Guest Services does not count. First you cancel with Carnival, then you call the insurance company to start the claims process.

Had you called Carnival to cancel out your friend, they would have charged you the single supplement while they had you on the phone.   Then, you would have received her cancellation notice, including penalty amounts.  You would have received a new confirmation showing that you paid the single supplement.

Then, you would have each filed separate insurance claims.  If she was too ill to travel, she would need documentation from a physician to complete that claim based on canceling for medical reasons.  You, would have to file a claim to get the single supplement refunded.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sgwscruiser said:

The poster sailed anyway. asking your friend to pay half these costs when she couldn’t go seems to me a very petty way to treat a friendship 

There’s nothing petty about the financial arrangement. The friend paid her own way by paying back Sacteach who initially paid the whole fare. Then the friend of Sacteach decided not to go…whatever the reason..she could have gone even feeling sick, but decided not to.  I don’t feel Sacteach should repay her friend.  It’s a chance anyone takes by paying in advance for any activity…sports games, concerts, opera, movies, etc.  Even with insurance, one has to follow their rules or you’re out the money.  Simply put, no refunds.

• Like 4

Here is where we stand... a few months later. 

Cruise was 11/11-11/14. Friend was seen by a doctor and had a diagnosis with a travel restriction effective 11/10. 

On 11/13, I received $6.56 back to my credit card from Carnival with no explanation of what it was.

At some point in November, she received $100 from AON

From November to last week, there were multiple emails and phone calss back and forth between my friend/Carnival/AON

This past week (3/29), Carnival stated that I had been refunded $146 for the port taxes, fees, etc. and that now that their portion was complete, she had to contact AON to reopen the case and pay the rest.

On 3/31, the refund hit my cc account. I also found out the $6 from November was hers, so I paid her the $152 that I was refunded.

She called AON on 3/30 and let them know that Carnival had amended the case. AON will now finish out the claim and apparently pay her the rest directly... if by chance it comes to my CC instead, then I'll pay her back.

Ultimately, it sounds like she is getting a refund for the entire fare she paid (about $590) with some coming from Carnival and some coming from AON.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for coming back with the updated info.  I was interested in how this would play out.  We have cancelled 2 cruises due to illness- but did it the day before, and we use an outside company. (Travelguard)  Had no problem getting all our fees, fares and expenses back within a week.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sacteach said:

Here is where we stand... a few months later. 

Cruise was 11/11-11/14. Friend was seen by a doctor and had a diagnosis with a travel restriction effective 11/10. 

On 11/13, I received $6.56 back to my credit card from Carnival with no explanation of what it was.

At some point in November, she received $100 from AON

From November to last week, there were multiple emails and phone calss back and forth between my friend/Carnival/AON

This past week (3/29), Carnival stated that I had been refunded $146 for the port taxes, fees, etc. and that now that their portion was complete, she had to contact AON to reopen the case and pay the rest.

On 3/31, the refund hit my cc account. I also found out the $6 from November was hers, so I paid her the $152 that I was refunded.

She called AON on 3/30 and let them know that Carnival had amended the case. AON will now finish out the claim and apparently pay her the rest directly... if by chance it comes to my CC instead, then I'll pay her back.

Ultimately, it sounds like she is getting a refund for the entire fare she paid (about $590) with some coming from Carnival and some coming from AON.

If Carnival just refunded the port fees at the end of March they really dropped the ball on that one. Usually port fees and any prepaid gratuities are refunded much much faster than that, like a couple weeks later.

• Like 1