“Live” from the Royal on Mexican journey.

LadyL1

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from LadyL1! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

LadyL1 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

We boarded Royal Princess yesterday in SFO: very efficient process checking in and through security. What did amaze me was, when the first announcement was made for boarding of “full suites” it seemed to have slipped many people’s mind at what level they were travelling, by the numbers rushing forward!

This is our first Princess cruise, and have been impressed by the helpfulness of the crew. The ship appears to be spotless, and the attention to constant cleanliness is obvious to see, which is very comforting as COVID has not gone away. Also, the number of people still voluntarily masking, is more than I would have expected.
The sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge late yesterday afternoon was awesome in glorious sunlight, and to date the sea has been calm and blue skies enjoyed by all!
Corrine is the cruise director on board, and I have learnt that the Royal is sailing with 2800pax.

4EC848FD-D319-4ED4-B436-DF89A9E02198.jpeg

• Like 9

We are also on this cruise and are enjoying it so far. The internet is working better for us this time than it did on our November 2022 cruise on the same ship. I suspect it’s because this sailing is at 77% capacity and the November sailing was at 109% capacity.

@LadyL1I know you said in our roll call you have CC dining but I haven’t met you yet. What time do you go down for lunch and dinner? We have been sitting at tables covered by Samuel and Maria as we really like them. 4CF96079-5F1E-4411-A10D-CB6B6D6FFE20.thumb.jpeg.101a64933b5555159be5b330ff7d0de9.jpegD38EECE8-1543-40C5-81DD-0C3BC580254B.thumb.jpeg.0a0909472ec4414297aeb3d589a11bcf.jpeg09ECD44D-4F5D-4F9C-A48B-DED7B75ADE66.thumb.jpeg.12db7360f89927ef44c9e7bbb53ddc43.jpeg1613603A-A3D3-4BB8-A033-69A9D73C4884.thumb.jpeg.40ac6c5c7c03c27cc45ac8b7baf4c98c.jpeg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

@LadyL1I know you said in our roll call you have CC dining but I haven’t met you yet. What time do you go down for lunch and dinner? We have been sitting at tables covered by Samuel and Maria as we really like them. 

KLM3164

We generally do not eat before 7.30 in the evening, and hence take a late lunch. So far have found that we have had numerous waiters!

• Like 1

As has been said, the internet seems very good on this cruise. We have forward accommodation and connectivity has never been a problem.  Extremely impressed with the Medallion App, which works a treat and so useful: so much better than continually signing for drinks etc.

A little about the food. The first night we ate in the Crown Grill, well after 7.00pm. We found it manic at first, although it did rapidly quieten after our arrival. This rather spoilt the ambience of a “premium” restaurant, although the steak and lobster mains we had were good. Club Class dining certainly seems to be worth the premium as we have seen a few queues outside restaurants, and this is when the e ship is not full. This lunchtime we tried Alfredo’s (Italian) and will certainly go again.

it is so pleasant being at sea with perfect conditions: the Mexican coast can be seen at times quite clearly, on the port side. Another sea day tomorrow before Puerto Valletta.

Plenty of enjoyment for all tastes on board. A formal night this evening, and hopefully we have the correct attire!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Just a curiosity.  We'll be boarding her on her next cruise.  I think the cruise director just left (Corrine Steele?).  Can you share who your current Cruise director is?  Glad you got off to a great start.  Enjoy.

Corrine is definitely on the ship now….we call her Sparkle.

If I see her around I’ll ask if she’ll be on the next sailing and if not who will be taking her place.

Edited by KLM3164
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Just a curiosity.  We'll be boarding her on her next cruise.  I think the cruise director just left (Corrine Steele?).  Can you share who your current Cruise director is?  Glad you got off to a great start.  Enjoy.

I just talked to Corinne and she is getting off the ship on 2/10. The CD for the next cruise is Guido who is an assistant CD on the current cruise. After your sailing Armando Merin will be on as CD. Armando is coming over from the Discovery.

Edited by KLM3164
  • Thanks 1

This is our 5th cruise since restart and each time cruising is becoming more like it was before. For example this cruise we had the Champagne waterfall tonight. Also this cruise the Voice of the Ocean has returned. I’m happy have these 2 events back on the cruise. 
1A2B618E-57DA-4118-BA85-AA5195EF8A07.thumb.jpeg.92330d27ba805a669f3856cb0f0bcf7c.jpeg

E8E856F2-001B-491D-8E62-FB1DDB1F263A.thumb.jpeg.d165f431c675ef75f6f9b0a527f946de.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Another perfect sea, with the temperature rising by the hour. Mid morning the whales gave us a display of breaching and blowing, then around lunchtime we sailed past Cabo San Lucas with a pretty good view of the rocks and ships at anchor.

The sun is bringing folks out onto the decks and by the pools. I had another good daily workout in the Retreat pool, and have to say this is one of the best ship’s pool I have swam in: depth ideal! It is pleasing to see that the crew really seem to adhere to the “adult only” theme to this area.

Tonight we ate in Sabatinis, which we feel is certainly the best eating venue on board. Each morning breakfast has been a pleasure, and this evening the meal was superb. Afterwards as the air temperature was 72 degrees it was fitting to finish the day with a stroll around the open deck. There were certainly more people watching the movie under the stars and a beautiful moon.

Below is the exquisite tiramisu, I had tonight.

4F98E598-D03C-4DCB-9C9D-BB2241ADFC09.jpeg

• Like 4

We had a wonderful shore excursion today called Colonial San Sebastián, Tequila Tasting & Lunch. The tour also included a stop at a small coffee plantation. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and getting out of the bustling city. 

At the tequila stop we had 5 samples at the tequila place….3 were thumbs up (the flavored ones) and 2 were thumbs down for me (the straight tequila). My favorite was the Licor de Almendra which had an amaretto flavor.

Next stop was the coffee stop which isn’t my thing unless there is cream which they didn’t have so I passed on the tasting. They did have some very sweet dogs there and as an animal I was happy to take some photos of the pups. My favorite was a Chug named Paco and I also liked the sunbathing Chihuahua (name unknown).

Next off to a delicious lunch in the center of San Sebastián. It was a very good feast with salad, bean tacos, veggie tacos, beans, salsas, carne asada with a variety of grilled vegetables, tortillas, bread, lemonade, tequila and a Mexican cheesecake for dessert. I befriended another dog there named Marshall who enjoyed some leftover carne asada.

Finally had some free time to wander the town square and visit the church in San Sebastián. 

The ride back was about 90 minutes and it was time for a drink before heading to dinner. Tonight is a favorite of mine….Italian night.

Tomorrow will be another long day as we have another full day tour on our stop in Manzanillo. This one starts especially early at 7 am…..yikes!
image.thumb.jpeg.0cee17fd9551ca1538357b952ec324a0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8e00da04683e3fccbaf128bd166b791d.jpeg

Paco the Chug

image.thumb.jpeg.92137d88a8abcf2856bff80fde7ae47f.jpeg

• Like 2

Ibfluffy - Crown Grill $25.

Yesterday, Puerto Vallerta was hot and interesting, but not a place I would wish to stay on a prolonged vacation. Manzanillo was charming, lovely beaches near the port that has a mountainous backdrop.

Last night on the lido deck, at 10.15pm there was a “Hot, Hot Music Session” live band, dancing and the Terrace Grill open. Perhaps not quite for my age group but all seemed to be having a great time in the evening warmth.

My first negative of the cruise so far, was that at lunchtime, the service was appallingly slow in Alfredo’s. Such a pity as our first visit was impressive. Albeit the wait time, the meal was tasty, with profuse apologies: probably our last visit!

As I write, we have commenced our voyage northwards, and that means SFO bound, but we still have 2 more ports of call to look forward to, and no doubt some good evening meals.

Hopefully I will get a good workout in pool in the next hour or so. Earlier the The Retreat pool was packed with those just cooling off from the intense heat, and no possibility of a good swim. Maybe these cruise lines should have smaller pools for “bobbers” who can sit themselves in with drinks and for a chat!😄 Always a first for everything!!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

Yesterday, Puerto Vallerta was hot and interesting, but not a place I would wish to stay on a prolonged vacation. Manzanillo was charming, lovely beaches near the port that has a mountainous backdrop.

Last night on the lido deck, at 10.15pm there was a “Hot, Hot Music Session” live band, dancing and the Terrace Grill open. Perhaps not quite for my age group but all seemed to be having a great time in the evening warmth.

My first negative of the cruise so far, was that at lunchtime, the service was appallingly slow in Alfredo’s. Such a pity as our first visit was impressive. Albeit the wait time, the meal was tasty, with profuse apologies: probably our last visit!

As I write, we have commenced our voyage northwards, and that means SFO bound, but we still have 2 more ports of call to look forward to, and no doubt some good evening meals.

Hopefully I will get a good workout in pool in the next hour or so. Earlier the The Retreat pool was packed with those just cooling off from the intense heat, and no possibility of a good swim. Maybe these cruise lines should have smaller pools for “bobbers” who can sit themselves in with drinks and for a chat!😄 Always a first for everything!!

Thank you so much about Crown Grill. I also look forward to swimming in the retreat pool. My favorite form of exercise.

In Manzanillo did you just walk around off the ship? We may very well just do that.

Thanks for the great review so far. Great information 

jessica 

50 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

Enjoyed your review but did smile at your comment about it being hot.  I suspect when I is from the UK just about any sunny weather seems hot :).  We live in Puerto Vallarta, watched your ship come into the port yesterday, and "froze" on the beach during the afternoon.  It has been relatively cool here in Puerto Vallarta and many of us who go to the beach with our umbrellas, do not bother to use the umbrellas because we are cold in the shade.  I think it was about 27 C 80 F which is a little cool for those who us used to this kind of weather.  When it gets up to about 33C (which has not happened in a couple of winters) that is when we get hot.  Our Condo has A/C which has not been turned on this year.  No need :).

Bon Voyage.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

Hope you heat those pools up for us boarding in San Fran on Friday.  More than likely, just wishful thinking on my part.  Thanks for your "live" though!

3 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Hope you heat those pools up for us boarding in San Fran on Friday.  More than likely, just wishful thinking on my part.  Thanks for your "live" though!

Redwing55

I have swam every day: the first 48 hours I was mostly alone. As the pools have warmed with the air temp, the less hardy have emerged! The hot tubs are always busy, but they are not for me.

I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise on Friday: I would happily stay on ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1