Can I leave the ship Lahavre and not return?

Derbie

I read on another thread where you can obtain permission to leave the ship and not return.  We are considering a 12 day European Isle cruise with family member; including an 18- and 20-year-old.  They would very much like to see Paris and this is close to the end of the cruise.  Does anyone know?  I have never sailed on Princess before.  If we book this cruise, I will be back with a bunch of questions for you grand folks!  

Thanks in advance,

You need to contact Princess and fill in a request. Several planned this on one of my BR Isles cruise, but due to sea conditions we could not go to Le Havre, and had a sea day in its place.  So have a backup plan.

We are Elite with Princess and have ported in La Havre. You are talking about a Route Deviation request. You can file one of these. 

All up to you, but if you go to Paris, you will likely be flying out of Charles DeGaulle airport to make your way back home. I have heard from several with difficulties at that airport, and they speak French. Hope your experience is better.

If you'd like to continue on the cruise, but want to experience a bit of France, besides the port area, consider the excursion to Rouen. See the Cathedral, the place where Julia Child trained as a chef and where Joan of Arc was burned.  Surprisingly these are all quite close together in a touristy but fun few blocks. We don't speak French and had no trouble communicating in the shops there.

You need a trip deviation approval from Princess prior to embarkation.  Be sure to have a written copy prior embarkation.  This is mostly a local custom and border  protection decision versus a PrIncess decision. 

Edited by tcdcruiser

Very good advice from many of the  posts above.....

On background ....during a week long trip to London 15 years ago, my wife threatened ...and... against my will.... drug me to Paris  for ONE day via the Eurostar.  Now we go to Paris twice a year. Flying out of Charles Degaulle (CDG)   can be  very busy, but certainly manageable.

Crazy as it sounds, ,If we are on a cruise, and if  we dock in Le Havre,  we will suffer the several hours on a cruise ship  sponsored bus ride, to have 4-5 hours in Paris on our own before returning to the ship..

Next month we are taking our 8 year old granddaughter to Paris ( her 2nd trip and she insists a yearly ritual!) via the Eurostar from London. The Eurostar is a great option for you to consider and is a lifetime memory  by itself.

A word of caution.... for Your 18 and 20 year old family members, visiting Paris will become a destination they will return to many times! Its that special!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

I have heard from several with difficulties at that airport, and they speak French. Hope your experience is better.

We have flown out of (and through) CDG several times...there is no problem finding English at gate/ticket counters.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Because they speak French - in France - is a reason to avoid flying out of Paris?

Not sure if you were responding to me or Rick&Jeannie, but to clarify, I wasn't there. The problem I mentioned was related to where to go and which gate, after which, they were redirected with a long way to the new gate.. At times it comes in handy to read the signs and speak the local language, but it wouldn't have mattered. Maybe I could have phrased that better.

We were on a transatlantic last spring and disembarked 2 days early in Lisbon.

A lot of people did this.

It’s usually no problem but you should arrange before you leave.

They have to clear with local customs.

9 hours ago, ldtr said:

Just keep in mind that La Havre has been missed due to weather in the past.  

On one cruise we were on La Havre was missed due to a strike.

The ship went to an alternate port in The Netherlands. Those who had arranged to depart in La Gavre were offered the option of staying on the ship or disembarking in The Netherlands and being on their own for getting to wherever they wanted to go to.