Cozumel - Tequila Stop

cmaleblanc

Hi everyone, back in Feb 22, we stopped in Cozumel on the Apex. We had a tour that started with a drive in our own jeep (guides in another jeep that we followed), we ended up at a resort where we did some scuba, followed by a trip through a wilderness/nature park (?), it ended at a tequila tour/tasting. We got to taste a bunch of different tequilas, and we ended up picking up a few, one was an amaretto, another strawberry flavored, and we picked up a bottle for some friends. We are heading back to Cozumel in a few weeks on the Celebrity Reflection, we already have a tour booked, but our friends asked us to pick up some more of the tequila for them. 

Where would people recommend to get the tequila in Cozumel, is it realistic to find this place and drive/taxi to it to get more? what would be the price of a taxi or drive. Last Feb we noticed a lot of people in buggies...

looking for some ideas/suggestions for experience people in Cozumel. 

thanks. 

1 minute ago, cmaleblanc said:

Hi everyone, back in Feb 22, we stopped in Cozumel on the Apex. We had a tour that started with a drive in our own jeep (guides in another jeep that we followed), we ended up at a resort where we did some scuba, followed by a trip through a wilderness/nature park (?), it ended at a tequila tour/tasting. We got to taste a bunch of different tequilas, and we ended up picking up a few, one was an amaretto, another strawberry flavored, and we picked up a bottle for some friends. We are heading back to Cozumel in a few weeks on the Celebrity Reflection, we already have a tour booked, but our friends asked us to pick up some more of the tequila for them. 

Where would people recommend to get the tequila in Cozumel, is it realistic to find this place and drive/taxi to it to get more? what would be the price of a taxi or drive. Last Feb we noticed a lot of people in buggies...

looking for some ideas/suggestions for experience people in Cozumel. 

thanks. 

There are lots of tequila tastings/stores in Cozumel.

Could you be more specific as to locality, description of place, brand of tequila?

On 2/3/2023 at 4:38 PM, c-leg5 said:

There are lots of tequila tastings/stores in Cozumel.

Could you be more specific as to locality, description of place, brand of tequila?

Thanks C-leg, I was over at my friends place this weekend and I grabbed a shot of the bottle.

I remember it was in or close to the park we went off-roading in through.  We sat down for a taste testing, we went through 7-10 different versions of the tequila. This is the one we brought back for our friends. 

If you have a suggestion for better tequila or a place we should look that would be great. (I'm trying to avoid buying at the dock, assuming we would get a tourist upcharge anywhere close to the boat.) We have a day trip planned for Playa Mia.  

PXL_20230203_224045949.jpg

If you took the Jeep Your Cozumel, you may have gone to the Punta Sur Eco Park and then did the scuba and tequila tasting at Chankanaab Park or Discover Mexico, the affliated muesum next to the park.  You should be able to find  the tequila at Discover Mexico.  You can ask your taxi driver to stop on your return from Playa Mia.  If not there, you need to take a taxi toward downtown and stop at one of the 2 super markets along the way or go further into town to Covi Liquors.

There are several websites that rate tequilas available only in Mexico which should give you a decent guide to what to look for outside the commercial distilleries that export to the US. 

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 10:03 AM, cmaleblanc said:

I remember it was in or close to the park we went off-roading in through.  We sat down for a taste testing, we went through 7-10 different versions of the tequila. This is the one we brought back for our friends. 

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

If you took the Jeep Your Cozumel, you may have gone to the Punta Sur Eco Park and then did the scuba and tequila tasting at Chankanaab Park or Discover Mexico, the affliated muesum next to the park.  . 

I agree with @crewsweeperyou probably went to Punta Sur but I am not sure tequila tasting would be at Chankanaab, (unless you did scuba there) or Discover. Although affiliated to Punta Sur they would have required extra admission costs. Also you say the tasting was close to where you off-roaded and I think you would have noticed if you had entered another location.

I don’t drink tequila and haven’t done a tasting, I just know it is available at various beach clubs, restaurants, roadside stalls etc. which was whybI asked if you could describe location. Mi Mexico Linda seems to be the main company, with several locations, although they don’t seem to list them on their website but recent photos I saw suggested they had taken over the hacienda factory on the transversal, where many tours go. 

However, i did find this review, which doesn’t mention scuba only snorkeling, but it indicates there is a tasting near the lighthouse in Punta Sur. Does that sound familiar?

https://eatsleepcruise.com/jeep-adventure-to-punta-sur-national-park-tour-review/

Another jeep tour I found mentioned a tasting at El Cedral and another at Sky Reef so you may want to look up photos of those to see if they help.

That's the hard part I'm find c-leg5. The tour that we went on doesn't seem to be offered anymore. It was through Playa Mia, (we are actually going back for a different tour in a few weeks, so I'm hoping they may be able to help when we arrive). We did a discover scuba at that location, had lunch. (it seems most places are only offering the snorkeling now...now sure why the change.) Once we left Playa Mia we went for a drive through a nature reserve/park not to far down the road. I don't recall leaving the park until after the Tequila.  That's why I think it's had to be close. 

There is, or used to be prior to COVID, a beach resort at Punta Sur, can't recall its name.  Catered to excursions.   They may have or  had a tequila tasting set up.  Can't find your tequila listed on any tequila in Mexico sites.  Name on bottle looks strange, hard to make out the correct spelling.

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2023 at 8:52 AM, crewsweeper said:

If you took the Jeep Your Cozumel, you may have gone to the Punta Sur Eco Park and then did the scuba and tequila tasting at Chankanaab Park or Discover Mexico, the affliated muesum next to the park.  You should be able to find  the tequila at Discover Mexico.  You can ask your taxi driver to stop on your return from Playa Mia.  If not there, you need to take a taxi toward downtown and stop at one of the 2 super markets along the way or go further into town to Covi Liquors.

There are several websites that rate tequilas available only in Mexico which should give you a decent guide to what to look for outside the commercial distilleries that export to the US. 

Is Discover Mexico still doing the Tasting ?  Looked on line, not finding much.

Last visit it was Joe Cuervo sponsored but nothing even in our RCCL excursions about Discover Mexico 

21 hours ago, ecps92 said:

Is Discover Mexico still doing the Tasting ?  Looked on line, not finding much.

Last visit it was Joe Cuervo sponsored but nothing even in our RCCL excursions about Discover Mexico 

I have no idea. Sorry.

On 3/7/2024 at 11:42 AM, ABQrobin said:

Just about every beach club on the island offers a "free" tequila tasting.  

Unfortunately my experience has been Free Booze samplings is entirely different from a Tasting and learning about the differences