what to do if cruise price significantly goes down after final payment?

Hi, I've booked a transpacific Carnival cruise from Brisbane to Seattle in mid-April.

I'm travelling solo and got an "inside" obstructed view (not fully obstructed) cabin and paid $2518 fare before port fees. Today I was looking at the same cruise and see a very similar cabin, not exact same, going for about $500 less on the Carnival site and about $700 less on the American Airlines cruise portal.

My cruise has an $800 cancellation charge so I can't just cancel and rebook. 

Does anyone have any recommendations - can I call Carnival and request a credit or cost reduction?

Hi Doribeans (is it Joanne?)

I remember you from the Constellation - small cruise world!

Yes, I took advantage of this "drop" I was actually going somewhere else, as I couldn't believe my eyes! I paid $1580 for a balcony yesterday - deck 8! Has changed on Carnival site now, but still available on the Expedia cruise site.

To answer you, I have called cruise companies before and asked for a reduction/refund.

It has worked, but doubt with Carnival somehow? At least try, or get an upgrade?

Cheers,

Pippa

PS thanks for the shout out for train travel!

4 minutes ago, pipparh63 said:

Hi Doribeans (is it Joanne?)

I remember you from the Constellation - small cruise world!

Yes, I took advantage of this "drop" I was actually going somewhere else, as I couldn't believe my eyes! I paid $1580 for a balcony yesterday - deck 8! Has changed on Carnival site now, but still available on the Expedia cruise site.

To answer you, I have called cruise companies before and asked for a reduction/refund.

It has worked, but doubt with Carnival somehow? At least try, or get an upgrade?

Cheers,

Pippa

PS thanks for the shout out for train travel!

Pippa - I thought I'd met you on Constellation but wasn't sure. I'd seen you'd noted the Celebration transatlantic and thought maybe I was wrong.

Yes it is a small world. Look forward to seeing you again!

On 2/3/2023 at 9:09 PM, Doribeans said:

Hi, I've booked a transpacific Carnival cruise from Brisbane to Seattle in mid-April.

I'm travelling solo and got an "inside" obstructed view (not fully obstructed) cabin and paid $2518 fare before port fees. Today I was looking at the same cruise and see a very similar cabin, not exact same, going for about $500 less on the Carnival site and about $700 less on the American Airlines cruise portal.

My cruise has an $800 cancellation charge so I can't just cancel and rebook. 

Does anyone have any recommendations - can I call Carnival and request a credit or cost reduction?

Did you book an Early Saver fare? That allows you to apply for price drops up until 2 days prior to sailing. Give Carnival a call and ask if they will adjust your fare, even if you didn't. The worst case scenario is you don't get an adjustment, but you still get a cruise.

Sparks,

Not sure if it was early saver, but I was able to talk to a manager today who upgraded me to a balcony and refunded me $500. No my fare is just under 100/day.

Moral of the story is to just be pleasant and ask nicely to talk to someone in charge.

Edited by Doribeans
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, Doribeans said:

Sparks,

Not sure if it was early saver, but I was able to talk to a manager today who upgraded me to a balcony and refunded me $500. No my fare is just under 100/day.

Moral of the story is to just be pleasant and ask nicely to talk to someone in charge.

Excellent outcome and you are so right.

• 1 month later...

Any chance I can get a refund from NCL?  We booked a July cruise several months ago and have made final payment.  Looking at my TA website a few minutes ago and my cruise has gone down about $800

10 hours ago, cwms said:

Any chance I can get a refund from NCL?  We booked a July cruise several months ago and have made final payment.  Looking at my TA website a few minutes ago and my cruise has gone down about $800

Call & ask 

Sometimes you can get  an OBC for the difference   sometimes nothing

On 3/26/2023 at 8:13 AM, LHT28 said:

Call & ask 

Sometimes you can get  an OBC for the difference   sometimes nothing

I agree, call and ask. This happened to us on our Hawaii cruise. We didn't get a refund or OBC but they did upgrade us to a much nicer room category.

• 2 months later...

Recently, I found a cheaper, same room/same category cruise after my final payment was made; this was on RC.  Their new policy is that after final payment, you'll get nothing back in either cruise onboard credit or credit card reimbursement.  That kinda sucked actually.

2 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Recently, I found a cheaper, same room/same category cruise after my final payment was made; this was on RC.  Their new policy is that after final payment, you'll get nothing back in either cruise onboard credit or credit card reimbursement.  That kinda sucked actually.

You can always wait until closer to sailing to see  what the price drop will be

Usually after FP  they will lower prices to fill the empty  cabins

but you take your chances   if  there are cabins available or not

• 8 months later...
On 2/4/2023 at 3:09 PM, Doribeans said:

I'm travelling solo and got an "inside" obstructed view (not fully obstructed) cabin and paid $2518 fare before port fees. 

What is a 'inside' obstructed view cabin????