Clothing for Northern Lights cruise

oskidunker

I am not doing any tours  going out  late at night looking for the Northern Lights. Hope to see them on the ship.have one tour to polar park to see animals.  Other tours are chocolate tour and a few included ships tours  What clothing should I bring?

i have a down parker with fur hood, a rain coat bought in Norway, and some waterproof pants. The coat is very heavy(/used to ski in bad weather) I also have a lighter parka with a hood. Neither is water proof. I have a very nice heavy wool sweater bought in Canada. If I take the down parka I am thinking of putting it in checked luggage(suit bag) as it is very heavy.  Have free  luggage as flying business on klm 

thanks

38 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I am not doing any tours  going out  late at night looking for the Northern Lights. Hope to see them on the ship.have one tour to polar park to see animals.  Other tours are chocolate tour and a few included ships tours  What clothing should I bring?

i have a down parker with fur hood, a rain coat bought in Norway, and some waterproof pants. The coat is very heavy(/used to ski in bad weather) I also have a lighter parka with a hood. Neither is water proof. I have a very nice heavy wool sweater bought in Canada. If I take the down parka I am thinking of putting it in checked luggage(suit bag) as it is very heavy.  Have free  luggage as flying business on klm 

thanks

Hi from another Californian!

We have been discussing clothing on our Mar 8 Roll Call and I think it does make a difference that you aren’t going on any of the Chasing NL tours.  The most important thing is to bring layers rather than one big heavy item.  Looking at the projected temperature in Feb for Alta the HIGHs range from in the high 30s  to 16F and that’s the daytime.  And if the lights appear at night you will be going out on deck in the cold …albeit for a shorter time than the tours.

I think you can’t go wrong with a base layer… Marino wool top and bottom (basically long underware).  Follow that with a mid layer… heavier pants and maybe a fleece top or sweater.  As an outer layer I’m bringing windproof /waterproof pants.  The wind proof is important if you are out on the deck of a moving ship.  The jacket should be warm … I’m actually bringing a down long sleeve puffy that I can wear inside my waterproof jacket… but I’m doing the NL tours.  BRING hand warmers if you are bringing lightweight gloves.  If you aren’t bring boots, try waterproofing your shoes as the streets could be slushy.

it sounds like I know what I’m doing.  I’m just going from an experiences above the Arctic Circle during June when it was warmer.  Plus, coming from So Cal I’m not use to the cold so I want to be prepared.

Edited by SoBaycruiser

12 minutes ago, Lovewarmsand said:

What kind of clothing is worn onboard on sea days?  Are nice joggers and tee shirts too casual?

No, not too casual.  That's what we wore most of the days.  The ship was a little cold so warmth was important (and I'm rarely cold).  

This topic has come up previously a few times, so you may want to do a search on it.  We were on the March 2019 cruise, so I would suggest, layers, waterproof clothing, and waterproof footwear.  Due to wind, and extended periods outside, even If you are not going on any excursions for the NL, thermals, gloves, and winter hats are suggested also.  Be careful if you are using wool socks, as they can cause sweat after a while and actually make your feet cold. You will find the weather very changeable over short distances with it getting quite cold (0-10 degrees F).  On our cruise, I honestly didn't see anyone in joggers & tee shirts, probably due to the cold and weather.  On the positive side you will see beautiful scenery, and hopefully you will get to see the NL.  JohnEB

• Like 3

3 hours ago, johneb2 said:

This topic has come up previously a few times, so you may want to do a search on it.  We were on the March 2019 cruise, so I would suggest, layers, waterproof clothing, and waterproof footwear.  Due to wind, and extended periods outside, even If you are not going on any excursions for the NL, thermals, gloves, and winter hats are suggested also.  Be careful if you are using wool socks, as they can cause sweat after a while and actually make your feet cold. You will find the weather very changeable over short distances with it getting quite cold (0-10 degrees F).  On our cruise, I honestly didn't see anyone in joggers & tee shirts, probably due to the cold and weather.  On the positive side you will see beautiful scenery, and hopefully you will get to see the NL.  JohnEB

If not wool for socks, what do you recommend? I’m headed to the Northern Lights cruise and bringing merino wool blend. 

“If not wool for socks, what do you recommend?”

We have been avid hikers for many years, and Smartwool socks are our go to, rain, snow, or sunshine, summer or winter. Wool are the most recommended on outdoor adventure websites. For us, wool evaporates moisture well. Whatever works for you…I’ve been advised against cotton, perhaps a poly blend might not hold the moisture as previous poster experienced. 

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LinnieRed said:

If not wool for socks, what do you recommend? I’m headed to the Northern Lights cruise and bringing merino wool blend. 

When we went to Greenland on an expedition cruise they recommended merino wool or smart wool socks.  We had a combination of both… a thin Marino wool liner sock and then a heavier sock of either smart wool or merino over it.  (DH had one and I had the other).  Worked great for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would advise also booking an evening search especially since having a sighting is so hit or miss. Some who have done these trips have reported seeing the lights during night excursions but not on the ship, and vice versa. Your call but I’d say you’re somewhat limiting your chances by only hoping for a sighting onboard. Agreed on taking layers along for clothing options. No need to really overthink it all that much. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

We are on this trip now…..I’d say waterproof is more important than heavy.  We bought wonderful ponchos in Bergen and have found them perfect with a sweater and A light jacket underneath.  

We were lucky and saw the lights on our second night out, from our balcony.  Bad weather is keeping us in Tromso for an extra day, and Narvik has been cancelled as well as Amsterdam.

Barbara M. In NH

AB99417E-2663-44F1-BABC-460B5EB266A9.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Avery's Gram said:

We are on this trip now…..I’d say waterproof is more important than heavy.  We bought wonderful ponchos in Bergen and have found them perfect with a sweater and A light jacket underneath.  

We were lucky and saw the lights on our second night out, from our balcony.  Bad weather is keeping us in Tromso for an extra day, and Narvik has been cancelled as well as Amsterdam.

Barbara M. In NH

AB99417E-2663-44F1-BABC-460B5EB266A9.jpeg

WOW! What a beautiful photo!

We saw our best view of the Lights one evening from the ship.  We went from the dining room to our cabins for heavy jackets and gloves in a rush.  It was extremely cold standing outside that evening so be sure to be prepared with very warm layers standing ready in your cabin.

• Like 3

Our captain just announced we will not be in Tilbury on Sunday morning as the weather here is still very rough.  We are very glad that we chose to let Viking make our flight plans for us, as now they are planning how to get us home.  In the meantime, we are enjoying a lovely cruise….rough seas, but we’ve seen worse.  And the ship is lovely and the service has been outstanding, so another day on board will not be too hard to take!

we already knew we spent an extra day safely docked in Tromso, so Narvik and Amsterdam were canceled.

Barbara M.  Usually in NH

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Avery's Gram said:

Our captain just announced we will not be in Tilbury on Sunday morning as the weather here is still very rough.  We are very glad that we chose to let Viking make our flight plans for us, as now they are planning how to get us home.  In the meantime, we are enjoying a lovely cruise….rough seas, but we’ve seen worse.  And the ship is lovely and the service has been outstanding, so another day on board will not be too hard to take!

we already knew we spent an extra day safely docked in Tromso, so Narvik and Amsterdam were canceled.

Barbara M.  Usually in NH

“We are very glad that we chose to let Viking make our flight plans for us, as now they are planning how to get us home.“ 

Exactly what I said to my husband when I saw your ship was delayed arriving at port. We prefer to book with Viking, because it gives you an extra layer of help when there are issues.  Another layer is using a travel agent.  
Enjoy the rest of your cruise and stay safe. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Avery's Gram said:

Wish they would have safely docked in Tromso back on 3/23/19. Sorry you lost ports. We never even made it to Tilbury as well as lost two other ports. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Within 6 hours our flights were rescheduled….same flight with same good seats (premium economy as my husband is 6’4 and regular seats are really hard on long flights.), just a day later. it’s really been rough and slow today….the Restaurant was nearly empty for lunch today.

we have not heard anything about what happens to the incoming group, just that “We will take it one day at a time, and safety is our priority.”  

Barbara M.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...