Dress code for dinner?

KKB

7 day Caribbean cruise on Divina

DS 27 is wondering if polo & khakis is dressy enough--or should he throw in a button up shirt for "dressier" nights? Nicer pants too?

Thanks!

Thanks for asking this question.  We sail on her again,  but been a few years,  in a couple weeks and I was wondering about the dress code.   And I'm glad to see no snarky remarks about , that's been asked on here many times.  

2 hours ago, Avatar345 said:

Does anyone dress up at all? Dressing up is my natural inclination lol

Yes, in fact when we sailed on MSC, we noticed that because of the high numbers of non-Americans onboard, people overall were dressed much better than on a mainly US ship.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Avatar345 said:

I do still wear cocktail dresses every night but I never get to dress up. So love it. Dh use to wear suits but now just khakis and a button down shirt. He did take a sports coat for dress up night last week on the Mera.

4 hours ago, Avatar345 said:

"Does anyone dress up at all? Dressing up is my natural inclination lol"

Since you asked . . .

I'm in formalwear every evening, by 6 PM, while on a cruise. We don't linger in port and generally try to get back to the ship by 3-4 PM.

I bring two black tuxes and an ivory dinner jacket, with accessories and such. Why?

After all, as I've mentioned on CC before, if I'm bothering to go way out in the ocean, I'll be damned if I'm going to dress like I'm just having dinner at Olive Garden.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Avatar345 said:

With Alaska its super easy to dress up with a sweater over the top of a button up shirt. In the Caribbean I have a lightweight button up that I roll the sleeves up, dress shorts, and sandals.

If I end up booking MSC will double check the requirements but can't see myself bringing a suit or dress pants/shoes because of a single night over a week.

We always eat right when the dining room opens though.

I am on the Divina right now and just walked out of the dining room behind a man in shorts and a shirt sleeve shirt. He obviously was served with no problems and this was elegant night! 

You see tuxes, gowns and shorts in the mdr, even on special nights. Msc would do nothing to offend a passenger.

3 minutes ago, RandomUser123 said:

You can wear gym shorts and a sweaty t shirt if you want, as long as you are not just walking around mdr in just your underwear then you are fine.

In the Buffet last week on the Meraviglia there were men walking around in Speedo's with nothing else on, not even flip flops. 🤮

• Haha 1

You can expect swim wear, gym wear, and even sleep wear in the buffet. (I saw pajamas and robes.) Most buffets are near a pool area.

In the YC restaurant, they will ask folks to go back and change if they are wearing beach wear/tank tops at dinner. They allow shorts (maybe not on formal/dress up night), but the expectation is resort casual at dinner and they do enforce it if people stray too far.

When it comes to what I wear, I don't dress up, resort casual at most... After all, if I'm on vacation, I'll be damned if I'm going to lug around extra clothing I don't want to wear or dress uncomfortably. I spent years wearing a suit for work (hated every moment) and became an early work at home adopter back in the mid-90's so I could wear shorts and a t-shirt all day. We took a few cruises early on where we did dress up for formal nights (didn't like that). (I'm a tall guy with big feet. Including something just to wear in the evening/for dinner with an extra pair of shoes takes up significant luggage space and will require me to bring an extra suitcase. Not happening, especially for something I won't enjoy and I have always found uncomfortable.)

Edited by jame_g

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

In the Buffet last week on the Meraviglia there were men walking around in Speedo's with nothing else on, not even flip flops. 🤮

The only positive I can see to that scenario is I would lose my appetite therefore not gain any cruise weight 🙈

• Like 1
  • Haha 4