Can you bring canned soda

gizmodog

According to HAL's official policy, NO.

I have recently been able to get cans on a few times, but definitely no bottles in Fort lauderdale. They even confiscated my 1 plastic water bottle that I had it my purse. 

So if you are ok with losing your soda, it may be worth a try. 

2 hours ago, jenp123 said:

According to HAL's official policy, NO.

I have recently been able to get cans on a few times, but definitely no bottles in Fort lauderdale. They even confiscated my 1 plastic water bottle that I had it my purse. 

So if you are ok with losing your soda, it may be worth a try. 

HAL policy as of June 1, 2021:

-------------------------------------------------------

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

All checked and carry-on luggage will be scanned and any prohibited items, including alcoholic/nonalcoholic beverages will be removed, confiscated, and discarded.

------------------------------------------------------

That said, sparkling water (LaCroix) has been allowed on our last cruises as long as it is in cans.  One 12-pack per cabin is permitted.

Others have said they brought sodas through without getting them confiscated so it's up to you to decide whether you want to gamble.  Worst case, you are out the $4-8 cost of the soda12-pack.  Best case, they let you bring it on and it offsets the HAL shipboard price of $35.40 for 12 cans ($2.50 each + 18% gratuity).

Edited by AFNavigator
typo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

They have loads of canned soda on the ship

This is not an accurate statement. We boarded Rotterdam yesterday and there was no Diet Coke or Coke Zero to be had until later in the evening. I'm told they started to run out at many locations a few days before the end of the previous cruise. 

1 hour ago, jenp123 said:

It's not about the money for me, it's the kind of soda. I bring on caffeine free regular coke. 

The ships do carry Caffeine Free Coke, though.
So, now you know you don't need to bring it. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jenp123 said:

Is this a brand new thing?  I was on a recently as late December and it was not available. 

I have been able to order it for years.
Perhaps the delivery for your cruise didn't arrive? Did your ship have a Coke machine that included it, but you have to pay extra? Could there have been a change in policy? Somehow I doubt that, though. 

Did you ask why it wasn't available on your December cruise?