Many firsts, many questions

CityChickCruising

13 minutes ago, CityChickCruising said:

awesome, thank you!! We will arrive to Athens two days early after a redeye. I am very excited for tours and taking in such an incredible city! We will look into money belts/neck pouches, that's a great idea. I am very much a researcher - we have a lot of things planned already excursion-wise, as a Game of Thrones fan we chose this itinerary for Split/Dubrovnik, but we need to book ahead for our final three days in Rome. I'm trying to dig through all of the websites that are selling tickets to the attractions so that I don't buy 'scam' ones. Let me know if you have any thoughts on where to buy Rome tix!

Great tip on Florence train tix... we'll do this! 

Thank you thank you thank you! 

Hi.

My advice for Rome & Athens is Hop on Hop off buses,,the best way to see both city’s.

Florence,one of my favourite cities is very walkable.

Dont Miss the sail in or out of Kotor,,,beautiful.

If you want to visit the Vatican museums and St Peters a timed entry ticket is a must,,the queues without tickets are horrendous.This is the link for tickets.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjY8f3u5Yj9AhURiVwKHQ5zCTkQFnoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.museivaticani.va%2F&usg=AOvVaw1Wh4J-jNjr2oauWYfZ7wXg

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 1:15 PM, RTR 21-0 said:

We are the same as you and your mom, CityChick, and taking our first European trip this May.  Last June I began looking up airlines, seat configurations (width, leg room, etc.), luggage allowances, etc., and decided on AA premium economy flexible tickets.  First class was out of our budget.  I’ve been checking prices once a month since July and I know for a fact the same seats would not be in our budget now but I would probably do some cost cutting elsewhere to not be crammed in economy for 10 hours.  My back would be laughing at me every time I cursed it after that plane ride.  

I'm so glad you are able to take this trip!!! We are flying United and actually saw tickets for Polaris - their business/first class - drop to $1000 for our way there and bought them yesterday. My mom thinks that it'll be worth it for the way there, and I agree... I think premium economy is also a fantastic way to do it, especially for AA! It's so hard when the prices fluctuate as much as they do... leaves you wondering what striking while the iron is hot actually means when it comes to flights!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi.

My advice for Rome & Athens is Hop on Hop off buses,,the best way to see both city’s.

Florence,one of my favourite cities is very walkable.

Dont Miss the sail in or out of Kotor,,,beautiful.

If you want to visit the Vatican museums and St Peters a timed entry ticket is a must,,the queues without tickets are horrendous.This is the link for tickets.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjY8f3u5Yj9AhURiVwKHQ5zCTkQFnoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.museivaticani.va%2F&usg=AOvVaw1Wh4J-jNjr2oauWYfZ7wXg

Amazing!! I wouldn't have thought of hop on/hop off buses being there... I live in DC so I'm very familiar with how great these are for tourists 😆 we actually splurged on a balcony on the 6th floor (sweet sixteen as the folks on here have coined it) just so we can watch the sailing in and out of Kotor!!

Nice - we will get the Vatican/St. Peters tickets here!! Really appreciate the link and your advice!

On 2/5/2023 at 11:54 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

It'll be in your eDocs; otherwise all we can do is GUESS and the guess would be 5pm

If one misses the ship they go into your room and grab your belongings so your passport would be at the terminal.  I personally feel it's safer in the room as if it's on your, while incredibly rare you could be subject to pickpockets or even a robbery

If you don't speak other languages ensure the tours you book have guides that speak FLUENT English

Most people use the term first and business interchangeably, regardless if you actually first (which is a higher tier than business on the airlines that offer it) it's like anything:

1) How much is a coach exit row, how much is premium economy, how much is business class, how much is first?

2)  Same as #1 but do you have alternative means to book like using credit card points to soften the blow?

3) Will it be overnight?  I cannot sleep more than an hour on a plane unless I'm in a lay flat so I take timing into consideration

I see that some tours aren't in English... fantastic point! Now I know to look out for this.

We ended up getting Polaris, which is the highest class on United's international flights, for a great deal on the way there, thanks to my obsessive checking. My mom, after a long flight last week across the country, said that her back hurt enough doing that, so... upgrading it was. It'll be overnight, so I think closing my eyes and hitting purchase was the best thing to do 🙂

Thanks so much for your insight!

• Like 4

On 2/5/2023 at 10:35 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

I can speak to a few of your questions...

2.  We did not take our physical passports off the ship but had pictures in our phones.  Not sure if this is how we would handle it now as things are different since our last cruise visit to that part of the world.  We will do a Med cruise next year and will likely take our passports with us while in port.

4.  We found the train system to be extremely efficient in getting from long distance place to place.  You can even reserve tickets on line and have them in advance.  You may have better luck with getting a taxi to the nearest train station.

5.  Totally worth the splurge and the only way I would go on a 10 hour flight!

Thank you thank you!! All of this is very helpful. We will look into the trains this weekend! We did end up purchasing the Polaris upgrade for the way there. We'll see if we decide to do it on the way back, but for now we are feeling good knowing we'll start our trip well rested 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CityChickCruising said:

I see that some tours aren't in English... fantastic point! Now I know to look out for this.

We ended up getting Polaris, which is the highest class on United's international flights, for a great deal on the way there, thanks to my obsessive checking. My mom, after a long flight last week across the country, said that her back hurt enough doing that, so... upgrading it was. It'll be overnight, so I think closing my eyes and hitting purchase was the best thing to do 🙂

Thanks so much for your insight!

Great score on airfare!  With the english tours my overall point was to research that the guide doesn't just "speak English" but speaks FLUENT english.  Was on an NCL sailing, booked an English tour but the person hardly spoke English so she was very hard to understand and when you asked a seemingly basic question in English she wouldn't understand...Most of the tour group were very frustrated and felt like it was false advertising to claim this person spoke English but most couldn't understand her and she didn't understand our verbal questions so we ended up using google translator

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Great score on airfare!  With the english tours my overall point was to research that the guide doesn't just "speak English" but speaks FLUENT english.  Was on an NCL sailing, booked an English tour but the person hardly spoke English so she was very hard to understand and when you asked a seemingly basic question in English she wouldn't understand...Most of the tour group were very frustrated and felt like it was false advertising to claim this person spoke English but most couldn't understand her and she didn't understand our verbal questions so we ended up using google translator

Yes!! Awesome price, we were pumped. Point of inquiry: were these excursions through NCL? Do you think that cruise excursions are more likely to have folks who speak English well, or research is necessary either way? Thanks!! 

1 minute ago, CityChickCruising said:

Yes!! Awesome price, we were pumped. Point of inquiry: were these excursions through NCL? Do you think that cruise excursions are more likely to have folks who speak English well, or research is necessary either way? Thanks!! 

Was an independent tour operator.  I think it's a total crap shoot

7 hours ago, CityChickCruising said:

I'm so glad you are able to take this trip!!! We are flying United and actually saw tickets for Polaris - their business/first class - drop to $1000 for our way there and bought them yesterday. My mom thinks that it'll be worth it for the way there, and I agree... I think premium economy is also a fantastic way to do it, especially for AA! It's so hard when the prices fluctuate as much as they do... leaves you wondering what striking while the iron is hot actually means when it comes to flights!

How did you manage to get a fare like that? What's your departure airport?

10 hours ago, CityChickCruising said:

Your diligence watching those prices paid off!  Congrats on that winning booking and wishing you and your mom a wonderful vacation full of beautiful memories! 

3 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Your diligence watching those prices paid off!  Congrats on that winning booking and wishing you and your mom a wonderful vacation full of beautiful memories! 

Im still trying to figure out how she got 2 tkts in Polaris class for $1000 each from anywhere in the US to athens in August. 

Edited by kwokpot

8 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Im still trying to figure out how she got 2 tkts in Polaris class for $1000 each from anywhere in the US to athens in August. 

Well, to be specific... $1270. I checked twice a day since we booked the flights - out of IAD - both on 'change flight' and 'change seat' and on Tuesday night 'change seat' was $1466 and 'change flight' was $1270... so we went for it! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CityChickCruising said:

Well, to be specific... $1270. I checked twice a day since we booked the flights - out of IAD - both on 'change flight' and 'change seat' and on Tuesday night 'change seat' was $1466 and 'change flight' was $1270... so we went for it! 

Thanks for you reply. I don't mean to be difficult, but your math still isn't working out. Did you book an economy ticket and then pay for an upgrade to Polaris? $1,200 is less than economy for IAD to ATH for August. A Polaris seat is $3700 pp/OW for that itinerary. You mentioned upgrade to Polaris in one of your posts. I'm only trying to set realistic expectations in this thread. 

Edited by kwokpot

Just now, kwokpot said:

Thanks for you reply. I don't mean to be difficult, but your math still isn't working out. Did you book an economy ticket and then pay for an upgrade to Polaris? $1,200 is less than economy for IAD to ATH for August. A Polaris seat is $3700 pp/OW for that itinerary. You mentioned upgrade to Polaris in one of your posts. I'm only trying to set realistic expectations in this thread. 

I mean, you are being difficult haha - it is an upgrade as I said, so I'm not sure why there's any reason to be bent out of shape? I paid 1800 for my roundtrip flight with economy plus seats for both legs initially. Add $1270 on for the Polaris ticket from Dulles to Athens. Voila!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, CityChickCruising said:

I mean, you are being difficult haha - it is an upgrade as I said, so I'm not sure why there's any reason to be bent out of shape? I paid 1800 for my roundtrip flight with economy plus seats for both legs initially. Add $1270 on for the Polaris ticket from Dulles to Athens. Voila!

Thank you. That's makes a lot more sense now. You didn't mention that you already paid$1800rt.  Your posts initially implied that a business class seat was only $1000 one way. The prices I initially quoted are correct if you were to do business class both ways. I just don't want people thinking that it will cost only $1000 to fly business class this summer to Greece.  Glad it worked out for you. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 10:12 AM, CityChickCruising said:

Hi all, I have been drinking in the advice of this forum!

I thought you meant you were drinking in preparation for posting. And I wouldn't blame anyone who did!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Haha 1