Many firsts, many questions

CityChickCruising

Hi all, I have been drinking in the advice of this forum! My mom and I are both going to Europe for the first time in August… it’ll be our first Celebrity cruise, we are Royal cruisers and excited to head out on the Infinity! We’ll hit Mykonos, Zakynthos, Kotor, Split and Dubrovnik. We have 2 days in Athens on the front end and will hit Florence and Rome on the back end of the trip. 

I have a few questions:

1. What’s the latest we can safely board the ship ahead of embarkation from Athens at 6pm if we want to soak in our time there?

2. Getting off the ship, should we bring our passports? On Caribbean cruises we don’t, but figured it could be different here.

3. Generally, what do you wish you would’ve known for your first European cruise?

4. If acceptable to ask, we are disembarking in Ravenna and heading to Florence. Do you all normally have a private car waiting for you at port to make the journey or can we expect taxis there to take us 2ish hours away? 
5. Lastly, also off topic, but it’s both of our first time flying across the pond… is it worth it to spring for first class for a 10 hour flight, at least on the way there? 

Thank you in advance! 

18 minutes ago, CityChickCruising said:

Hi all, I have been drinking in the advice of this forum! My mom and I are both going to Europe for the first time in August… it’ll be our first Celebrity cruise, we are Royal cruisers and excited to head out on the Infinity! We’ll hit Mykonos, Zakynthos, Kotor, Split and Dubrovnik. We have 2 days in Athens on the front end and will hit Florence and Rome on the back end of the trip. 

I have a few questions:

1. What’s the latest we can safely board the ship ahead of embarkation from Athens at 6pm if we want to soak in our time there?

2. Getting off the ship, should we bring our passports? On Caribbean cruises we don’t, but figured it could be different here.

3. Generally, what do you wish you would’ve known for your first European cruise?

4. If acceptable to ask, we are disembarking in Ravenna and heading to Florence. Do you all normally have a private car waiting for you at port to make the journey or can we expect taxis there to take us 2ish hours away? 
5. Lastly, also off topic, but it’s both of our first time flying across the pond… is it worth it to spring for first class for a 10 hour flight, at least on the way there? 

Thank you in advance! 

I can speak to a few of your questions...

2.  We did not take our physical passports off the ship but had pictures in our phones.  Not sure if this is how we would handle it now as things are different since our last cruise visit to that part of the world.  We will do a Med cruise next year and will likely take our passports with us while in port.

4.  We found the train system to be extremely efficient in getting from long distance place to place.  You can even reserve tickets on line and have them in advance.  You may have better luck with getting a taxi to the nearest train station.

5.  Totally worth the splurge and the only way I would go on a 10 hour flight!

• Like 1

For a 10 hour flight we would prefer business class.   But with airfare costing as much or more than the cruise we find that premium economy gives us enough extra leg room and slightly wider seat.  We look for a flight where we can get a 2-3-2 or 2-4-2 seat configuration and get  a 2.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CityChickCruising said:

Generally, what do you wish you would’ve known for your first European cruise?

It's NOT NECESSARY to take an excursion at every single port of call.  In many of your port stops such as Kotor, Split, and Dubrovnik you can enjoy sightseeing on your own but walking the streets and seeing things for yourself. Explore the streets and alleyways. Pick out a restaurant that looks enjoyable TO YOU for lunch. This does necessitate a little pre-trip planning and research as to what there is to see and do within walking distance from the port, but that's all part of the fun. Be an active vacationer by doing just a little pre-trip trip research. That time is worth more than any 1st class plane ticket can give you towards enjoying your vacation.

Lastly, also off topic, but it’s both of our first time flying across the pond… is it worth it to spring for first class for a 10 hour flight, at least on the way there? 

NO. The price difference from coach to first class is so high you're better off using those funds towards the experiences before, during and after your cruise. As others have suggested, if you want more comfort look into Economy Plus type seats. 

• Like 4

The ship will give you an "all aboard" time for each port. That will be the latest time you can safely return to the ship. 

Business class is absolutely worth it on that long of a flight. Your vacation begins when you get to the airport. You get off the plane feeling good instead of like you've been run through the ringer. 

I always take my passport. If you are concerned with pickpockets, there are a number of good options for safely carrying and concealing it (plus some cash and your ship card).

The best advice I ever got before travelling to Europe (or pretty much anywhere) is to learn about the culture beforehand and go with the flow once there. Everyone has their own way of doing things. Don't expect anyone to adapt to your way. 

• Like 2

Personally, I try to get at least premium economy seats, if not business class. With prices the way they are now, your budget may determine what you think is important. Having back issues, I find it much better to be comfortable so I can enjoy my trip. Sitting upright for 10 hours means I have to take a day of vacation to recover from the flight.

I don’t know about the other countries you are visiting, but it is a requirement to have your passport with you at all times in Italy.

This wasn’t one of your questions, but make sure you are prepared for HOT and HUMID weather.

• Like 1

If you do want to do things on your own, see if a city has a "city card" that includes public transportation and admission to many museums and other attractions. It may or may not be your best option, but it's worth checking out. 

If you want to do see a very popular attraction, see if you can buy tickets in advance (often for a particular time). That can save you loads of time standing in line. 

• Like 3

I have a few questions:

Boarding information will be in your “Daily” on board the ship.

We always take our Passports with us. They would be necessary if something happens that prevents you from rejoining the ship.

To have ordered and received our Foreign currencies before leaving home.

Normally we would not do this. Too many variables involving accidents that could cause the roads to be backed up for miles with traffic. (We lived in Italy 3 years).

Taxis might cost a small fortune as they use meters, so a private car would probably be less expensive.
Business class is nice, and less expensive than First. Shop around as the classes of service can vary widely different from Airline to Airline.

For your visits to Florence, check online for Museum and other places you plan to visit where you can purchase entrance tickets before you leave home .

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by C-Dragons

I have a few questions:

It'll be in your eDocs; otherwise all we can do is GUESS and the guess would be 5pm

If one misses the ship they go into your room and grab your belongings so your passport would be at the terminal.  I personally feel it's safer in the room as if it's on your, while incredibly rare you could be subject to pickpockets or even a robbery

If you don't speak other languages ensure the tours you book have guides that speak FLUENT English

Thank you in advance! 

Most people use the term first and business interchangeably, regardless if you actually first (which is a higher tier than business on the airlines that offer it) it's like anything:

1) How much is a coach exit row, how much is premium economy, how much is business class, how much is first?

2)  Same as #1 but do you have alternative means to book like using credit card points to soften the blow?

3) Will it be overnight?  I cannot sleep more than an hour on a plane unless I'm in a lay flat so I take timing into consideration

1.  you should be flying in at least a day early to account for any travel issues.  Need more time in Athens - add a few days on for arrival.  You should be o the ship at the earliest they will allow you.

2.  was in the Baltic last year and never took our passports .  

3.  there are hop on hop off busses available that can take the place of expensive tours.  Get a guidebook and see what interests you an then go there

5.  Business class is always better in both directions   more room and a higher luggage allowance   You may gag on the price these days 

6 minutes ago, tfred said:

1.  you should be flying in at least a day early to account for any travel issues.  Need more time in Athens - add a few days on for arrival.  You should be o the ship at the earliest they will allow you.

2.  was in the Baltic last year and never took our passports .  

3.  there are hop on hop off busses available that can take the place of expensive tours.  Get a guidebook and see what interests you an then go there

5.  Business class is always better in both directions   more room and a higher luggage allowance   You may gag on the price these days 

With #5, luggage allowance?  You can book coach and pay for checked bags…Generally it’s all about the lie flat seat and unlimited booze for drinkers…Everything else is a minor drop in the bucket for most like food, service, lounge access, amenity bag, priority, entertainment and baggage allowance

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

We would never dream of flying 10 hours in anything lower than Business Class with lie-flat (don't be fooled by "Business Class" products that do not offer lie-flat seating). Don't let people scare you with the prices. If you shop wisely, you can get some good deals.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

With #5, luggage allowance?  You can book coach and pay for checked bags…Generally it’s all about the lie flat seat and unlimited booze for drinkers…Everything else is a minor drop in the bucket for most like food, service, lounge access, amenity bag, priority, entertainment and baggage allowance

we have always flown business (ton of miles) but with a longer Europe trip it is easy to overpack. Pretty easy to get over the economy weight allowance.  I think UA is $200 for 42-70 lbs and $400 for 70-100. I have found it cheaper to fly business intra Europe with the luggage allowance rather than fly economy and pay extra 

7 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

We would never dream of flying 10 hours in anything lower than Business Class with lie-flat (don't be fooled by "Business Class" products that do not offer lie-flat seating). Don't let people scare you with the prices. If you shop wisely, you can get some good deals.

There are deals to be had if one has flexibility.  We’re struggling right now with finding a RT flight in coach with a single checked bag from lax to Puerto Rico for under a grand all in; can fly in 4 nights early but it’s still $900 and now we need to take additional vacation day and pays for hotels, food and entertainment

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

1 minute ago, mahasamatman said:

It all depends on someone's budget and what they consider to be important. I rather fly economy and take another trip in economy than fly business class. Of course you can get good deals but business class is going to cost you minimum 3x as much as an economy class ticket. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

There are deals to be had if one has flexibility.  We’re struggling right now with finding a RT flight in coach with a single checked bag from lax to Puerto Rico for under a grand all in; can fly in 4 nights early but it’s still $900 and now we need to take additional vacation day and pay for hotels 

Airfares aren't going to be priced the same anymore as prepandemic. 

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

It all depends on someone's budget and what they consider to be important. I rather fly economy and take another trip in economy than fly business class. Of course you can get good deals but business class is going to cost you minimum 3x as much as an economy class ticket. 

Absolutely agree; like anything it’s compared to what.  So if in coach you’re stuck in a middle seat, that would suck and I’d consider biz more .  But if you’re able to front coach seat where there’s like 5’ in front of you, you can get up at any time without bothering your neighbors and vice versa

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Airfares aren't going to be priced the same anymore as prepandemic. 

We were debating if we wanted to go on this comped Millie sailing out of PR or if we’d rather cancel it and visit Europe by land instead so we didn’t yet buy airfare for PR.  We watched it and it was $550.  It now doubled and worse, the sailing before and after has airfare available for $550.  In our case we snoozed and we “losed” lol

We are the same as you and your mom, CityChick, and taking our first European trip this May.  Last June I began looking up airlines, seat configurations (width, leg room, etc.), luggage allowances, etc., and decided on AA premium economy flexible tickets.  First class was out of our budget.  I’ve been checking prices once a month since July and I know for a fact the same seats would not be in our budget now but I would probably do some cost cutting elsewhere to not be crammed in economy for 10 hours.  My back would be laughing at me every time I cursed it after that plane ride.  

1. Usually you need to board at least  1 1/2 to 2 hours before sail away on embarkation day. Your edocs should have that time (or you will have to pre select your boarding time, depending on the cruise line). In any event, it is STRONGLY recommended that you arrive in your embarkation city a minimum of one day in advance. We like to have at least 2-3 days for sightseeing before the cruise begins.

2. Legally, only your passport is valid as identification in most European countries if you are a foreigner. We prefer to carry our passports, but only do it in a secure money belt or neck pouch, which keeps it safe from pickpockets. Others feel safe carrying a photocopy or a photo on their phone (plus a  DL in case they are asked for ID). 

3.Do as much research as possible in advance. For a first timer, I recommend getting a copy of the Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports book. If doing independent excursions, buy any entrance tickets to major sites in advance to avoid those lines.

4.Ravenna is over 200 km away from Florence. A Taxi (even if you found a willing driver) would be hugely expensive. A private car service would also be very expensive, but you could check prices online. Having traveled through Italy several times, we would opt for a taxi to the train station, then the train to Florence (look for one with only a single change in Bologna).

5. At my stage in life, we do premium economy for any flight over 2 hours and business class (not first class) for anything 5 hours or more. Otherwise I'm a wreck for the first day after arriving. You need to be the judge of whether the price is worth it to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CityChickCruising said:

I have a few questions:

Thank you in advance! 

Q5 - we have flown to the US and back about 30 in standard class and although tempted to upgrade, never thought the cost justified it. The flight is soon over and the money saved, or not spent, can buy gifts that will last forever, the flight is soon forgotten 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 2:26 PM, C4HCG said:

Q5 - we have flown to the US and back about 30 in standard class and although tempted to upgrade, never thought the cost justified it. The flight is soon over and the money saved, or not spent, can buy gifts that will last forever, the flight is soon forgotten 

thank you!! appreciate the insight.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:19 PM, mom says said:

1. Usually you need to board at least  1 1/2 to 2 hours before sail away on embarkation day. Your edocs should have that time (or you will have to pre select your boarding time, depending on the cruise line). In any event, it is STRONGLY recommended that you arrive in your embarkation city a minimum of one day in advance. We like to have at least 2-3 days for sightseeing before the cruise begins.

2. Legally, only your passport is valid as identification in most European countries if you are a foreigner. We prefer to carry our passports, but only do it in a secure money belt or neck pouch, which keeps it safe from pickpockets. Others feel safe carrying a photocopy or a photo on their phone (plus a  DL in case they are asked for ID). 

3.Do as much research as possible in advance. For a first timer, I recommend getting a copy of the Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports book. If doing independent excursions, buy any entrance tickets to major sites in advance to avoid those lines.

4.Ravenna is over 200 km away from Florence. A Taxi (even if you found a willing driver) would be hugely expensive. A private car service would also be very expensive, but you could check prices online. Having traveled through Italy several times, we would opt for a taxi to the train station, then the train to Florence (look for one with only a single change in Bologna).

5. At my stage in life, we do premium economy for any flight over 2 hours and business class (not first class) for anything 5 hours or more. Otherwise I'm a wreck for the first day after arriving. You need to be the judge of whether the price is worth it to you.

awesome, thank you!! We will arrive to Athens two days early after a redeye. I am very excited for tours and taking in such an incredible city! We will look into money belts/neck pouches, that's a great idea. I am very much a researcher - we have a lot of things planned already excursion-wise, as a Game of Thrones fan we chose this itinerary for Split/Dubrovnik, but we need to book ahead for our final three days in Rome. I'm trying to dig through all of the websites that are selling tickets to the attractions so that I don't buy 'scam' ones. Let me know if you have any thoughts on where to buy Rome tix!

Great tip on Florence train tix... we'll do this! 

Thank you thank you thank you!