Onboard internet

jjeffjb

• 2 weeks later...

On our Antarctica cruise this year, Nan and I both received 1GB each for the eleven days. It's restricted to the initial device you first register and cannot be changed to another. It was slow, we didn't use it much, and we consumed about 950GB by the last day. You can ask at the reception desk how much you used.

You can buy more, but it's expensive - $350 for 5GB.

Here's an article that breaks down what 1GB of data can comprise in layman's terms... it really isn't much...

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/1407996/how-much-is-1gb-of-data

Yeah, Antarctica isn't known for high speed, 4-5G internet, and the closer you get to the poles the harder it is to connect. In actuality, I'm surprised there is any connection at all.

We didn't have any complaint about the internet speed, as we fully understand the difficulty of satellite internet the farther you get to the poles. It was the 1GB and tying it to one device that was restrictive. When the norm is unlimited, it's hard to adjust to metered, especially with so many background processes that run on devices. 

Edited by kml246

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm others here...just back and it is AWFUL! Half the trip it is just not available and when it is...it is painfully slow and the data allowance is eaten up in a flash - one strategy is to have one of the two go dark if possible for the trip and just use one device for the two provided packages. That is what we did.

EDIT - Do NOT think that you can "buy your way" into an acceptable internet environment...you can't because even when you do have availability it is way to slow and uneven to even attempt anything serious...do NOT go on this trip thinking you can carry on with essential business...it is very likely that you will not be able too...maybe, but maybe not. It is best to assume that this is a 9 day communication blackout trip with only the most basic of check ins.

Edited by VACruiser123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Internet is not great! You can add in 1GB increments for $. Only plan to use internet for messaging or an Emergency! While you’ll want to share the beauty, waiting until you’re home or in Argentina worked for us.

Corey & Karen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/18/2023 at 10:32 PM, agreene said:

I just returned and it’s terrible.   The only thing you can do is basic messaging and email and the 1GB goes fast.  Prepare to pay extra.  

I know it's an old thread but I've got my pre-cruise package for Nov 6th's and complementary internet is 150 MB now for one device per stateroom and 250 MB for a suite.  So, compare to 1 GB, this will go much faster.  Make sure to prevent everything from doing background refresh/using wifi except email app and only turn on wifi to check email then turn off.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

We sailed on the Atlas Traveler in the UK in October.  Ship internet is always going to be slow.  What really surprised us was the 1GB limit.  I get throttling down internet speeds unless you buy a streaming package, but at this price point and how long internet has been available on cruise ships, this was a total disappointment.

To update my own post, I just came back from a wonderful 14-day trip to South Georgia and Antarctica.  Even though the printed package that I've received said I get 150 MB per stateroom, in reality, after we board the ship World Navigator, my wife and I actually received an access code for 1 GB each.  We've turned off just about everything except necessary apps that we use to keep contact and only turn on wifi to do a quick refresh, reply email, etc. then turn off wifi.  I ran out of my data about 4 days before cruise ends.  Additional 1 GB is $80, so I didn't bother to buy it.

• Thanks 1

Overall the cruise line is good and will definitely try to take another cruise with them, destination unknown, maybe greek isles or arctic.  Just don't have too much expectation so you won't be disappointed.  This company's cruise cost is lower than others after all.  🙂

Since this topic is for onboard internet, I'll write something about my trip in the roll call for World Navigator.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

We are very excited about our upcoming circumnavigation of Svalbard cruise!  It was quite surprising to learn the included internet is limited to 1GB 😳, especially after hearing AOV Voyager has Starlink.  It is reported that all of Norway 🇳🇴, including Svalbard/Spitzbergen is a currently approved and activated Starlink area.  

image.thumb.jpeg.3af1fc23f7ce060df43da76f5b114794.jpeg
It feels like a retro throwback to have to turn off/reset most apps and wifi on a device as @kd9 described, simply to read and reply to email and stretch rationed access. We haven’t metered wifi use on any cruise ship in a LONG time.  

We hope to upload and share pictures and video of beautiful scenery 🗻, amazing wildlife 🐋🐦🦭🐻‍❄️, and our AOV expedition and ship experiences.  Sometimes you have to swap devices online to download/upload pics.  Are you really limited to only one registered device versus one device at a time?  

I have read about how much time 1 GB provides, but have no idea how it will work in practice.  It’s rare to have limits these days.  And, minutes are certainly more easily understood than GBs.  I’m not planning to live online (No Zoom, Teams, Webex, Netflix, etc.) while on vacation, but on downtime between zodiac or shore visits, I hope to stay connected to friends, family, and manage household logistics.  After all, it’s not going to be pool weather around Svalbard 😎🌴❄️☃️🗻.  I would normally try to do a full cruise “LIVE from…” post on Cruise Critic to showcase this unique itinerary, however, the 1GB allowance might limit my ability to do this. YMMV.

IMHO, paying over and above for a reasonable quantity of included internet on what @AOV Communications  describes as a “refined luxury” experience, on a brand new ship with Starlink, seems odd in 2024.  Ponant began including unlimited wifi in 2018.  We had very good speed and connectivity in Antartica with Ponant in Jan 2019, prior to Starlink.  Seabourn, Silversea, and Linblad offer unlimited wifi as do most others. It would be great if AOV would consider updating their internet policies to meet or exceed the industry standard for luxury/expedition cruise lines.

• Like 1