Reserving Sun loungers!

fudge

Day 1

Hi, Everyone,

This is our fourth cruise with Seabourn, we have sailed with Silversea and Regent, in my opinion there is not a lot between them, others may disagree?

So, where to start? Mr. Fudge is a young 72 yrs. old, (well he thinks he is!) Mrs Fudge celebrates her 60th birthday and our wedding anniversary today, and her father’s birthday.

We emigrated from the UK about 20yrs ago to a small Island called Cyprus in the Mediterranean, a lovely sunny climate all year round.

To get to Barbados for the cruise, the best route was to fly to the UK and then to Barbados where we join the Ovation for two weeks, as I write we are in the Virgin Airlines business lounge drinking champagne, OK its 08.30 who cares!!

For the information of our British friends, we stayed overnight in the Ibis hotel just outside Heathrow, clean, comfortable and a good price.

It was not the best of starts, before the cruise Mr. Fudge fell and broke his wrist (badly) and has in arm in plaster for 6 weeks, this is my second week!  Thankfully I am left-handed so not too bad however, you don’t realise how difficult it is only using one hand, the simplest of tasks, tying your shoes, brushing your teeth, anyway, please don’t feel sorry for me, the food and drink will deaden the pain!

The flight time is 9.30 hrs but it will pass quickly.

We are in a veranda suite (826) deck 8, really looking forward to that, we love Seabourn although we like to dress up so SS is the cruise line for that.

We had a great flight; Virgin know how to treat their clients!

Landed in Barbados 45 minutes early 16.00 although the turbulence throughout the flight was pretty bad.

Although there were several large aircraft in already we breezed through Barbados airport, 20 minutes in all including collecting our bags, once outside we took a cab with two other couples, 30 minutes to the cruise terminal, 37 US dollars per couple, very reasonable.

We arrived at the cruise terminal met by Seabourn staff, through very quickly to a waiting coach, it took 30 seconds to the ship.

Checking in was also a breeze, five minutes, then straight to our suite.

Despite Seabourn saying they would decorate our suite with balloons Etc, nothing at all, very disappointing indeed, I was so excited before we got to the suite!!!

We attended a muster drill at seven PM for about 10 minutes then off to the TK grill.

We were at down immediately, the staff were very attentive, we both ordered the crab cakes and the saddle of Lamb, delicious. We were offered a 1.2 kilo pork chop!! We respectfully declined.

During dinner we struck up a conversation with two lovely couples, one from New York and the other from Canada. How is this for a coincidence, both partners were also celebrating their birthdays the same day!

TK staff brought out a birthday cake for each couple how nice was that.

We had an early night, it had been a long day.

Finally, please excuse my ramblings, sorry don’t do photos, not that savvy yet!

Fire away with any questions, will do my best to answer them.

• Like 4

If any of you read the Regent Board, there is thread about people who reserve sun loungers then clear off sometimes for hours!!  Regent have implemented a policy where if after 30 minutes your "stuff" is still there it will be removed and taken to lost property.

Now, whether this is happening I have no idea, and we all have thoughts on whether this is the right thing to do, I think its a good Idea however, If you for lunch which could take say 1 hour and return you may get upset if your belongings have gone.

In the Seabourn daily herald, it says almost exactly the same. Yesterday a couple were on a lounger in the sun however, they kept going to two sunbeds in the shade which they had also reserved and collecting sun cream or whatever, this happened most of the afternoon, as far as I am aware no action was taken. 

I am not the sun bed Police so didnt intervene, thoughts anyone?

• Like 1

I've been on several SB cruises where a one hour rule has been announced. And crew did remive items after one hour. However it was introduced on a case by case type basis - presumably after guest complaints during very busy warm weather cruises.

I'm not aware that there is a shipwide permanent policy. Having been on a cruise with a couple who reserved four sunbeds each every day, I can understand why it's necessary! 

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

I've been on several SB cruises where a one hour rule has been announced. And crew did remive items after one hour. However it was introduced on a case by case type basis - presumably after guest complaints during very busy warm weather cruises.

I'm not aware that there is a shipwide permanent policy. Having been on a cruise with a couple who reserved four sunbeds each every day, I can understand why it's necessary! 

If we weren't on the same cruise, we did know the same couple!

4 sunbeds on Deck 5, just about the only padded ones, two in shade, two in sun, all prepared with towels courtesy of a SB employee (who obviously was tipped to sort it every morning!)

31 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

If we weren't on the same cruise, we did know the same couple!

4 sunbeds on Deck 5, just about the only padded ones, two in shade, two in sun, all prepared with towels courtesy of a SB employee (who obviously was tipped to sort it every morning!)

Exactly that scenario! I can't remember which cruise, it was either Sojourn 10 December 2019 - 5 January 2020 or Sojourn Deember 2017.

I've also seen the same thing on the main pool deck, same couple again?

Edited by Isklaar

10 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Exactly that scenario! I can't remember which cruise, it was either Sojourn 10 December 2019 - 5 January 2020 or Sojourn Deember 2017.

I've also seen the same thing on the main pool deck, same couple again?

Yes!  We were on Sojourn 10th December to 21st December 2019.  Must be that one, as we didn't do a December cruise 2017.  

It was very annoying and entitled !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fudge said:

If any of you read the Regent Board, there is thread about people who reserve sun loungers then clear off sometimes for hours!!  Regent have implemented a policy where if after 30 minutes your "stuff" is still there it will be removed and taken to lost property.

Now, whether this is happening I have no idea, and we all have thoughts on whether this is the right thing to do, I think its a good Idea however, If you for lunch which could take say 1 hour and return you may get upset if your belongings have gone.

In the Seabourn daily herald, it says almost exactly the same. Yesterday a couple were on a lounger in the sun however, they kept going to two sunbeds in the shade which they had also reserved and collecting sun cream or whatever, this happened most of the afternoon, as far as I am aware no action was taken. 

Selfish - reserving one set of sun beds is bad enough but two is absolutely taking the Michael. We recently returned from a Regent Caribbean cruise and would go to breakfast at approx 8:15 and leave after 9 and we would pass the same two sunbeds reserved by the same things every day 😠😠

Edited by Techno123

If the offending couple is Dutch be very careful and do not talk to them about their selfishness. The husband is a big bully and a twisted operator at that. And have been do for years! Just report them to the HD and if you get nowhere to the captain.

Why Seabourn tolerates such arrogance and already documented belligerence is beyond me. And to what end?

Their continued presence is a deal breaker for us.  

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fudge said:

Day 1

Hi, Everyone,

This is our fourth cruise with Seabourn, we have sailed with Silversea and Regent, in my opinion there is not a lot between them, others may disagree?

So, where to start? Mr. Fudge is a young 72 yrs. old, (well he thinks he is!) Mrs Fudge celebrates her 60th birthday and our wedding anniversary today, and her father’s birthday.

We emigrated from the UK about 20yrs ago to a small Island called Cyprus in the Mediterranean, a lovely sunny climate all year round.

To get to Barbados for the cruise, the best route was to fly to the UK and then to Barbados where we join the Ovation for two weeks, as I write we are in the Virgin Airlines business lounge drinking champagne, OK its 08.30 who cares!!

For the information of our British friends, we stayed overnight in the Ibis hotel just outside Heathrow, clean, comfortable and a good price.

It was not the best of starts, before the cruise Mr. Fudge fell and broke his wrist (badly) and has in arm in plaster for 6 weeks, this is my second week!  Thankfully I am left-handed so not too bad however, you don’t realise how difficult it is only using one hand, the simplest of tasks, tying your shoes, brushing your teeth, anyway, please don’t feel sorry for me, the food and drink will deaden the pain!

The flight time is 9.30 hrs but it will pass quickly.

We are in a veranda suite (826) deck 8, really looking forward to that, we love Seabourn although we like to dress up so SS is the cruise line for that.

We had a great flight; Virgin know how to treat their clients!

Landed in Barbados 45 minutes early 16.00 although the turbulence throughout the flight was pretty bad.

Although there were several large aircraft in already we breezed through Barbados airport, 20 minutes in all including collecting our bags, once outside we took a cab with two other couples, 30 minutes to the cruise terminal, 37 US dollars per couple, very reasonable.

We arrived at the cruise terminal met by Seabourn staff, through very quickly to a waiting coach, it took 30 seconds to the ship.

Checking in was also a breeze, five minutes, then straight to our suite.

Despite Seabourn saying they would decorate our suite with balloons Etc, nothing at all, very disappointing indeed, I was so excited before we got to the suite!!!

We attended a muster drill at seven PM for about 10 minutes then off to the TK grill.

We were at down immediately, the staff were very attentive, we both ordered the crab cakes and the saddle of Lamb, delicious. We were offered a 1.2 kilo pork chop!! We respectfully declined.

During dinner we struck up a conversation with two lovely couples, one from New York and the other from Canada. How is this for a coincidence, both partners were also celebrating their birthdays the same day!

TK staff brought out a birthday cake for each couple how nice was that.

We had an early night, it had been a long day.

Finally, please excuse my ramblings, sorry don’t do photos, not that savvy yet!

Fire away with any questions, will do my best to answer them.

Mr. and/or Mrs. Fudge,

I have read your previous threads and have enjoyed them IMMENSELY! Thx for posting! 

7 hours ago, markham said:

If the offending couple is Dutch be very careful and do not talk to them about their selfishness. The husband is a big bully and a twisted operator at that. And have been do for years! Just report them to the HD and if you get nowhere to the captain.

Why Seabourn tolerates such arrogance and already documented belligerence is beyond me. And to what end?

Worth knowing, thanks!

Funnily enough, on our last Grand Pacific Cruise on Odyssey, there were no double beds with cushions out the back of Deck 5.  They had all gone.   There was just a lot more sofas, chairs and tables.... and the usual sunbeds without padding down the sides and the four at the front.  .

I do hope it's not because of 'this situation'... we used to like it out there if we were ever lucky enough to get a double bed! 

8 hours ago, markham said:

Dutch, in that case yes same people. We have seen them on more than one cruise, I believe the most recent was Sojourn in 19/20 as noted above. I feel for the crew having to deal with them.

On a similar note.  We were on the Seabourn Venture over the holidays.  No problem with sun lounger hogs, but somebody "reserved" the two best comfy, well placed lounge chairs in Seabourn Square everyday.  I always looked and there was the same backpack, reader, coffee cups.  Rarely did I actually see someone sitting in those two chairs.  I often wonder how these people react if someone were able to get to those chairs first.

5 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Mr. and/or Mrs. Fudge,

I have read your previous threads and have enjoyed them IMMENSELY! Thx for posting! 

I hope I am not boring everyone to death with my ramblings?

These “ entitled Chogs” certainly are annoying to say the least. They used to annoy me, but I had to remind myself that I live in Florida with my own pool, and 10 minutes from the beach. HOWEVER, many on most cruises are from cold weather areas trying to get some Sun and warmth. I was brought up to have manners, be courteous , and have consideration for others.  Totally aggravating to see some with an, “ I’ve got mine attitude”

Mr & Mrs Fudge, I’ve been enjoying your posts on this and on the Ovation. We’ll be taking the Ovation across “ the pond” on Easter. No need to save us a lounger, just a few IPA’s would be nice though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fudge said:

I hope I am not boring everyone to death with my ramblings?

Not a chance!! I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m thoroughly enjoying them. It’s so nice to hear about the ship, even if it’s not the same itinerary! That said, I love cruising altogether and I’ve really missed going for the last ten years or so. (We were busy raising children. One last one in the nest!) 

Isklaar,

This particular Dutch couple was also on the Ovation Christmas cruise in 2021-2022, and have been seen on one cruise a few months later, which shows that Seabourn continues to tolerate their behavior. This includes demanding the large revenue wine glasses in the MDR when they drink house wine, a certain table there (woe to anyone deigning to be seated there any earlier), and hogging the pool for themselves at their precise morning and evening times swims. Fortunately, they have no friends and so do not socialize in the Obs Bar or Club so their glowering and smirking is limited to their peculiar activities. Maybe they think that after sailing many days they are entitled to some one superior status?

When grievance reports are filed and still Seabourn takes no action after these many years, you might as well look elsewhere to a line with more elegance and decorum such as Silversea, where this sort of grubby anything goes/winner takes all does not work.

• Like 3

Hardly surprising they have no friends, Markham.  It is quite difficult to say if their behaviour is obnoxious enough for them to be removed from Seabourn's 'possible passenger' list.  I suppose if they are not  bad enough for the top staff to complain bitterly, then fellow passengers will suffer.   Sadly, money talks and revenue is  important, particularly at present.  Or are they perchance related to someone high up at Seabourn/Carnival?    I have certainly seen that on a couple of other luxury lines, with atrocious behaviour tolerated from large family groups with teenage children.  (Including Silversea, before it changed hands).  

Their behavior is predictable and not outrageous to the crew.   The ideal description of passenger to easily service.   Days sailed count for something.   Silversea has passengers that fit the profile.    By far, my preferred wine glass on SB can be found on pool deck at dinner.   Their stemware holding the premium wine requires use of my bionic arm.      Another topic that SS tops SB. 

Edited by saminina

On 2/6/2023 at 7:22 AM, fudge said:

Aloha.  Thank you for your posts. I remember years ago you could reserve a lounge for the duration of the voyage. It would certainly make it easier especially on the luxury lines.

59 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha.  Thank you for your posts. I remember years ago you could reserve a lounge for the duration of the voyage. It would certainly make it easier especially on the luxury lines.

Is that on a Seabourn ship?  If so, it is news to me.

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Is that on a Seabourn ship?  If so, it is news to me.

Aloha.  No…sorry I did not elaborate.  Back in the days it was routine on Holland America, Greek Line, etc.  I do not recall if there was a charge or just similar to having and assigned table for dining service. Nowadays it is probably impossible with the mainstream huge ships but for smaller luxury lines it would do away with the chair hog craziness.  That said,  i find it happening everywhere at land based resorts no matter the star ratings throughout the world except at the Cipriani in Venice and the Halekulani in Waikiki when we do a staycation.