AQV No refunds for trip cancellation

rippedoffbyAQV

In July we received notice of cancellation for an October cruise.  None of their promises of a refund have been honored.  The trip insurance sold by the company does NOT cover cancellations by the company, only cancellations by the guest and only for limited reasons.  We feel like we have been taken in by the company and their recommended travel insurance.  The Better Business Bureau has several complaints on file and rates the company as a D minus.  The Florida department of Consumer Affairs has been unable to get a response from the company. 

If anyone knows of a way to get them to make good on their refund promises, please post. 

• 3 weeks later...

Put the credit card charge in dispute, if you can.  Otherwise, wait, and wait, and wait.  Our river cruise was cancelled by American Queen Voyages in December 2022 (without proper notice to us).  We had paid in full in August.  Despite our many calls and letters and emails, we did not receive a refund until February 2023 -- three months after the cancellation!  They held our full payment for six months and provided no compensation; and also provided no reason for the cancellation.  

Good luck. We didn't figure out until Feb 2, that our Oct 2023 10-day Civil War-themed cruise no longer existed, and that was just because I called when I couldn't find the cruise on their website.  We had booked and paid in full last May.  When I called Feb 2, I was told that cruise "was just a place holder", and would I like to use my credit to book another cruise, minus the $250 pp cancel fee.  I said we didn't cancel, and we should get full refund.  When I said I needed something in writing about their refusal to refund the entire amount we paid, I received an email for an 8-nt cruise, totally different section of the Mississippi, with it stating that we'd canceled the new cruise, and so we were still being charged the $250 penalty pp!  We had rebooked nothing, especially not an 8-day cruise to New Orleans!  Several more phone calls and emails back and forth with Star, a supervisor, to no avail. In final phone call Feb. 8, she said she was meeting that day with Alice, manager of "this department" about AQV's  "lack of professionalism and lack of communication" in handling their removal of the cruise from their schedule, and she would call me back later that day. She didn't call.  After several phone messages to her over 2 weeks, on Feb 22,  I filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau and with Federal Marine Commission. I just learned Monday from Federal Marine Commission, that when AQV says itin change and doesn't admit they canceled a cruise, you are entitled to transportation from the beginning of the old cruise to the new embarkation and transportation from the new debarkation port to the ending of the old cruise, as well as hotel expenses incurred because of the change. In most cases, that would cost AQV much more than if they just refunded the $250 per person, for a total refund of what you paid. You can contact Federal Marine Commission for assistance.   complaints@fmc.gov.   Good luck!  

Just a place holder???????????? If that's all it was, they should never have taken full payment. I can see doing a deposit on a cruise that might happen if it's special. Cruise lines sometimes do that for a maiden voyage when a new ship is joining the fleet. But only a deposit, and it's always refundable.

You can complain to whatever agencies you want, but your best move is to dispute with your credit card. 

Stories like this make me nervous about my cruise in June. AQV sounds like Jeckyl and Hyde. IF your cruise goes as scheduled, it's great. IF they cancel, you have to scratch and claw to get your money back. 

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 2:29 PM, rippedoffbyAQV said:

In July we received notice of cancellation for an October cruise.  None of their promises of a refund have been honored.  The trip insurance sold by the company does NOT cover cancellations by the company, only cancellations by the guest and only for limited reasons.  We feel like we have been taken in by the company and their recommended travel insurance.  The Better Business Bureau has several complaints on file and rates the company as a D minus.  The Florida department of Consumer Affairs has been unable to get a response from the company. 

If anyone knows of a way to get them to make good on their refund promises, please post. 

Hi there! We have issued all refunds. Please monitor your credit card over the next two weeks to see if you have received your refund. If you do not receive it, please get in contact with our Guest Care Center. Thank you for being patient.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2023 at 3:10 PM, judyzoo said:

Put the credit card charge in dispute, if you can.  Otherwise, wait, and wait, and wait.  Our river cruise was cancelled by American Queen Voyages in December 2022 (without proper notice to us).  We had paid in full in August.  Despite our many calls and letters and emails, we did not receive a refund until February 2023 -- three months after the cancellation!  They held our full payment for six months and provided no compensation; and also provided no reason for the cancellation.  

Mine was cancelled within hours after I was bullied to pay in full to keep my promised website displayed discount.  

I was told 90 days.  Will be surprised if they actually keep to that.  

It took over 6 mos to get a refund (July to February) and it may have helped that I contacted the Florida department of consumer affairs.  The refund came within 3 weeks of opening a complaint.  I don't think you can believe any promise they make for a time line.

• Like 1