How bad is a cabin on deck 1?

kj_connections

2 minutes ago, theckenlady said:

We stayed in the last cabin aft deck one on the Valor. Worst room we've ever had. Noise wasn't bad on sea days, but coming into port and docking was crazy noise. Move cabins if you are here.

You're hearing the side thrusters.  While I'd agree with avoiding the aft, the 1A cabins and portholes are up front and get the same noises but at a serious discount to a standard OV cabin.  So it's all what someone wants I suppose.

• Like 1

We have done 20 cruises and usually book an inside cabin on deck one or two midship.  There is less movement and is located pretty close to Main Dining and the Forward Lounge.  If we want to see anything, it is a short elevator ride to the Lido or Promenade.  The main reason, though, is we are frugal (read cheap).  Our Valor cruise last week was paid for by credit card points.😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, theckenlady said:

We stayed in the last cabin aft deck one on the Valor. Worst room we've ever had. Noise wasn't bad on sea days, but coming into port and docking was crazy noise. Move cabins if you are here.

I'm in the very last cabin on deck 1 for my Venezia cruise in June.  Same cabin on deck 2 for January and May, '24.  I've been in a similar area I think on Liberty and I understand the noise.  At least I'm prepared and I won't have to hunt for my cabin; I know exactly where I am.  All the way THAT WAY lol. 

On 2/9/2023 at 6:17 PM, theckenlady said:

It is the same in forward cabins.  Especially in a tender port when they drop the anchor.

On 2/9/2023 at 7:17 PM, theckenlady said:

1 hour ago, clackey said:

It is the same in forward cabins.  Especially in a tender port when they drop the anchor.

I've been in steerage on many of my Carnival cruises and I never found the noise that bad.  I can feel and hear the ocean bump along - especially at high speeds and/or in bad weather - but that rarely bothers me.  The thrusters bother me a little, but I'm often in the shower or out and about when they're turned on.  I can't remember hearing the anchor being thrown and wouldn't know what it sounds like.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:42 AM, Crusin Karen said:

I'm in the very last cabin on deck 1 for my Venezia cruise in June.  Same cabin on deck 2 for January and May, '24.  

We are on an aft on 2 on the June cruise and an aft on 1 in February.  Have stayed on 1 on a few cruises over the years and never had a problem, usually quiet.  We dont look for 1 or 2 specifically but sometimes with some of the rate codes those are the only decks offered.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 7:22 PM, jsglow said:

You're hearing the side thrusters.  While I'd agree with avoiding the aft, the 1A cabins and portholes are up front and get the same noises but at a serious discount to a standard OV cabin.  So it's all what someone wants I suppose.

I usually stay in the forward 1A cabins on deck 2. The most noise I heard was when the ship crashed through a wave. It was a loud boom but nothing ever woke me out of my sleep. I feel like I'm a normal sleeper, not especially light or heavy. The rest of the noise was like white noise. It definitely wasn't quiet. But nothing I really noticed. I think the sea spray going past my window (like a white out) did more to wake me than any noise. It looked like a flash of light when my eyes were closed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

I usually stay in the forward 1A cabins on deck 2. The most noise I heard was when the ship crashed through a wave. It was a loud boom but nothing ever woke me out of my sleep. I feel like I'm a normal sleeper, not especially light or heavy. The rest of the noise was like white noise. It definitely wasn't quiet. But nothing I really noticed. I think the sea spray going past my window (like a white out) did more to wake me than any noise. It looked like a flash of light when my eyes were closed.

Sometimes that's the sound of hitting a whale too...

(jk, but not 100%)

Tom

• Haha 1