Record HAL Bookings in January, 2023

Colorado Klutch

I recently joined this forum and I've seen a lot of negative comments about Holland America. They seem mostly justified as nobody likes higher prices with cutbacks. 

I just saw this article and was surprised to read that HAL set a record for bookings this past month. Maybe things will get better with more bookings? Maybe ships will be more crowded? It's interesting if nothing else.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cruise-sales-strength-continues-as-holland-america-line-sees-biggest-january-booking-week-on-record-301733112.html

16 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

$1 deposit sales will do that.  

Do you think a minimal deposit is the reason? Maybe I don't understand how most cruisers book. I mean, if you have the money to book a cruise, what difference does the deposit make? 

I booked a HAL Alaska cruise in early January and I didn't see the $1 deposit offer anywhere. Maybe it didn't apply to Alaska cruises?

Edited by Colorado Klutch

14 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Do you think a minimal deposit is the reason? Maybe I don't understand how most cruisers book. I mean, if you have the money to book a cruise, what difference does the deposit make? 
I booked a HAL Alaska cruise in early January and I didn't see the $1 deposit offer anywhere. Maybe it didn't apply to Alaska cruises?

The $1-deposit was a short-term promotion. We did our part to book in January 2023, using $600 in FCD bought on board!

The $1-deposit mostly affects those wanting to book the "Best Price" non-refundable fare, I think. At least it would for me, if I didn't see the value in HIA.

I remember last year when the $1 deposit sale hit people were booking a lot of cruises just to hold a cabin.  I hope for HAL some stick.  We booked two. I wouldn’t have done that without the $1 sale, so yes, I think it does effect the numbers.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, brovol said:

I agree.  Deposit promos are not even a deal.  Who cares?  You pay for the cruise regardless, and deposits are minimal anyway. I cant believe anyone is drawn to a deposit promo.

It’s a way for people to book multiple ships/itineraries and then pick one later.  If you’re only booking 1, the deposit doesn’t really matter.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Maybe it's a reasoning that they won't lose much if anything happens between booking and final payment. Or could be, like many with credit cards, charge now and figure out how to pay for it later. I'd be curious on what HAL's fallout rate is on these bookings. 

Alaska has some specific promos that come up. Check regularly to see if you can get a better deal (before final payment) 

Numbers can be skewed depending on where your data is collected. The negative comments on CC are a very, very small sampling of HAL cruisers compared to those that don't comment or that join FB groups, which are usually pro HAL by definition. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Alaska has some specific promos that come up. Check regularly to see if you can get a better deal (before final payment) 

I've already done the final payment. I signed up on Cruise Watch for my cruise. I'm thinking it's unlikely prices will drop if HAL is in fact getting a lot of bookings. But if prices do drop, is HAL likely to give me a refund or OBC for the difference?

Just now, Colorado Klutch said:

I've already done the final payment. I signed up on Cruise Watch for my cruise. I'm thinking it's unlikely prices will drop if HAL is in fact getting a lot of bookings. But if prices do drop, is HAL likely to give me a refund or OBC for the difference?

Not likely to give after final payment but it doesn't hurt to ask if the total cost is actually lower. (Not just the base fare). 

We are responsible for 3 cruises we booked in January.  None w/$1 deposits.

Anecdotaley, the agent at the big online TA we use also said she had been busier than ever this January with all cruise bookings. 

This is nothing but good news for the cruise lines and those of us who enjoy them.....

Go book a cruise!

The $1 deposit promoted me to book a Cali Costal cruise that I may not have been in a rush to book if I had to lay out several hundreds of dollars. Nothing to really loose if something changes between now and April 2024. That’s over a year away so see no need to let a business hold a chunk of my money for that long even if the final cost is the same.

• Like 3

Bookings do not necessarily translate into paid cruises. It is all smoke and mirrors - every cruise line is recording record bookings - I have cruises booked in to 2024. Will I actually take those cruises? Who knows? But for now they are booked.

Edited by RD64

10 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Bookings do not necessarily translate into paid cruises. It is all smoke and mirrors - every cruise line is recording record bookings - I have cruises booked in to 2024. Will I actually take those cruises? Who knows? But for now they are booked.

So much smoke, just to prove financial relevancy.  Remember when stores would offer layaway (maybe they still do that)?  Probably cost more to employ workers in customer service and more real estate to store all the merchandise...just to have people say nevermind.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

$1 deposit sales will do that.  

Exactly! As I recall, the HIA+$1 deal ended in January. Its possible that the promotion accelerated bookings. Subsequent months may see below-average bookings(?)

So, we need to average several months data to avoid a misinterpretation.

8 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Not if you have done the final payment