Texting, Calling, & Face Timing

shipndip60

On many Princess ships over the past year...people are reporting that the WiFi is definitely no longer "The Best WiFi at Sea".  Many itineraries have reported basically NO internet capability.  Don't count on it...but ship location plays a big part in this.  What ship and what itinerary are we talking about?

In the middle of the Tasman Sea at the moment heading to Tasmania/Australia and have been texting my sister in NY all afternoon with no issue. I have called using WhatsApp. I'm not a face time person but can confirm that wifi isn't always consistent.

Edited by paradiselivin1
  • Like 1

Lots of confusion here.  Let's start with:

1 hour ago, shipndip60 said:

Crown Princess out of SF to Hawaii - ERROR

The Crown is out of Los Angeles on it's way to Hawaii.

INTRAnet WiFi AND the app have nothing to do with INTERnet/Medallion Net.

You need to purchase Medallion Net to use iphone wifi calling, texting, and FaceTime, and the World Wide Internet.

I have done the Hawaii itinerary many times are rarely had any issues with connection.  Sometimes it is faster than others.   Sometimes you may have trouble downloading a photo.  But I have used all of these functions.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, shipndip60 said:

I’m Going to be on the crown Dec. 22, 2023 out of S.F. to Hawaii.  I’m just trying to get all my ducks in a row early. 

My apologies.  I thought you were doing it sooner.  Princess has been mixing up her fleet and it is confusing ME.  She used to home port ships for a year at a time.  I just can't keep track of her fleet.  

It used to be so simple.  OR.....am I just aging?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shipndip60 said:

Will I be able to text, make phone calls or face time calls from the ship on my I-phone to family at home using the ships Wi-Fi 

No problems on the Crown Nov/Dec out of LA  roundtrip to South Pacific Islands.

11 hours ago, shipndip60 said:

I’m Going to be on the crown Dec. 22, 2023 out of S.F. to Hawaii.  I’m just trying to get all my ducks in a row early. 

Just got back from same itinerary. Internet texting was never a problem but some days WiFi calling was difficult - very laggy  ( for reference I use FaceTime audio).

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

Time to buy an iPhone....hee hee.  

Hey...we have enough drama around here just dealing with cruise topics!  You don't really want to start that whole controversy up, do you? 😄  Ok...Word or WordPerfect? (Dating myself!)

• Like 1