Upgrade bidding

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

True, previously with the upgrade fairy.

That isn't the case with the ones you bid for, as it depends on what category you bid for, and then if you are successful or not.

Thanks for that info - this is new info for me. 

Sailing on Majestic Princess on 24th Feb.  Paid for a guaranteed balcony cabin.  We quite often book a guaranteed cabin as we never get sea sick and don't mind walking, so not really fussed about location.  I ignored the bid for upgrade emails as was happy to have any balcony cabin. We received an email a few days ago from Princess saying we had been upgraded to cabin R735 which is a Premium Deluxe Balcony cabin.  It is an aft facing cabin at back of ship.  Never been in one of these although we have done 45 cruises so quite excited.  On Princess board, asked members about this cabin and they all said great things about it. So am happy with this complimentary upgrade.  Just shows the "free upgrade fairy" is still alive and well.  

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, korky1 said:

Sailing on Majestic Princess on 24th Feb.  Paid for a guaranteed balcony cabin.  We quite often book a guaranteed cabin as we never get sea sick and don't mind walking, so not really fussed about location.  I ignored the bid for upgrade emails as was happy to have any balcony cabin. We received an email a few days ago from Princess saying we had been upgraded to cabin R735 which is a Premium Deluxe Balcony cabin.  It is an aft facing cabin at back of ship.  Never been in one of these although we have done 45 cruises so quite excited.  On Princess board, asked members about this cabin and they all said great things about it. So am happy with this complimentary upgrade.  Just shows the "free upgrade fairy" is still alive and well.  

It is good to hear. Enjoy your upgrade.

• 2 months later...

P&O have now instigated upgrade bids. I didn't bother as our cruise appears to be sold out and we were happy with our cabin anyway. I note on Cruise Control that you can still put in a bid. Guess they're covering their bases for projected last minute cancellations.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

P&O have now instigated upgrade bids. I didn't bother as our cruise appears to be sold out and we were happy with our cabin anyway. I note on Cruise Control that you can still put in a bid. Guess they're covering their bases for projected last minute cancellations.

And they also get some free data about how much people are willing to spend to trade-up to those cabins, if only they were available.

Personally, I think if you are entering an auction that you are bidding for something that is available, not for the right to secure something IF it becomes available.

• Like 1

Buyer Beware.  On my last cruise, I was offered an unsolicited upgrade which was supposedly better than my cabin. It wasn't!  On another cruise i was given an upgrade at the front of the ship, which I refused.  I chose cabins lower down in the middle of the ship, which lessen the possibility of sea sickness in rough seas.  

Yep, one of the risks of an upgrade. At least if one is bidding on a mini suite, SV suite, Penthouse, etc you know precisely where they are located. I don't have trouble with being forward or aft (depending on WHERE I am cruising), but totally agree that lower down centre is the ideal spot to avoid motion sickness.

3 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Yep, one of the risks of an upgrade. At least if one is bidding on a mini suite, SV suite, Penthouse, etc you know precisely where they are located. I don't have trouble with being forward or aft (depending on WHERE I am cruising), but totally agree that lower down centre is the ideal spot to avoid motion sickness.

I didn't apply for an upgrade, but was just offered one in each case.

I have a girlfriend who gets so seasick she has to go to the ship doctor for a needle to stop her vomiting.  I talked her into giving cruising another try in a cabin low down centre.  She did and had her first successful cruise and has cruised since.  

Yes, I remember back in the day when I took my first cruise that I was fortunate enough to use a travel agent who put me wise to the best cabins to avoid motion sickness. I was absolutely fine on that cruise even with a bit of rough water (rough enough to spill water out of the pool on the Lido deck. They closed the pool of course). Teeny bit queasy on the Lido deck, headed down to cabin no further problem. Haven't had a problem since and even sailed in a forward facing cabin on Symphony.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I didn't apply for an upgrade, but was just offered one in each case.

I have a girlfriend who gets so seasick she has to go to the ship doctor for a needle to stop her vomiting.  I talked her into giving cruising another try in a cabin low down centre.  She did and had her first successful cruise and has cruised since.  

For most cruise lines, you don't apply for complimentary upgrades. The opposite applies, where you elect "no upgrades" at the time of booking. With some ships, the automatic complimentary "upgrade" happens without even asking you. It is something we have always been aware of, so when wanting a specific cabin and/or location, we have always requested the no upgrade option.

12 minutes ago, arxcards said:

For most cruise lines, you don't apply for complimentary upgrades. The opposite applies, where you elect "no upgrades" at the time of booking. With some ships, the automatic complimentary "upgrade" happens without even asking you. It is something we have always been aware of, so when wanting a specific cabin and/or location, we have always requested the no upgrade option.

Yes I do state no upgrades now.

• Like 1