Interior Cabin Advice

artvlay

FWIW

We spent two weeks in inside cabins on the Nieuw Statendam in November.

We booked inside guarantees.

Week #1 was on deck 1/Main and was a J cabin.

Week #2 was on deck 4/Bethoven and was a L cabin.  The aft back. 

Both were plenty of room for us.  Seemed like the same size as our usual VF balcony cabins just less the balcony.  It had been awhile since we were last in an inside as we thought we always required a balcony.  Her Majesty said "these are not bad at all and have plenty of room" and now she is permitting the booking of insides when it is a port intense itinerary. 

We have learned that the inside cabins also arrive at the port the same time as the balcony cabins and the $$$$ savings is substantial.

RE:  Spa deck cabins....We got a free upgrade to a VQ spa balcony deck cabin once.  It's a nice location as you are tucked away on top and we frequent the gym/hydro suite but, in our opinion, it is not worth the extra $$$$.  Deck 8 forward (one below the gym/spa) is just as convenient and has a much better price point. 

Enjoy the cruise!

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 5:29 AM, Real NHDOC said:

The pinnacle ship's interior cabins are almost all very small and almost none have any extra seating in them - some triples have a useless couch shoehorned alongside the bed.  Typically the room is slightly larger than the bed with a small dressing table and a cube that serves as both a seat and a tray table for room service. 

Can the small dressing table double as a place to receive, or use as a tray table for room service?

On 2/8/2023 at 1:13 PM, robotpony said:

We were in 6116 on the NS, and it was larger than I expected, similar to our Veranda on the Koningsdam except the couch was under the TV. Lots of storage, huge bathroom, decent amount of room in front of and on one side of the bed (the other side was tight, but didn't really matter). It looked like an accessibility room, but was not marked as such, nor did we book it as such.

6116 is shown as an accessible cabin on the NS deck plan I have, which probably explains why it is roomier.

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

FWIW

We spent two weeks in inside cabins on the Nieuw Statendam in November.

We booked inside guarantees.

Week #1 was on deck 1/Main and was a J cabin.

Week #2 was on deck 4/Bethoven and was a L cabin.  The aft back. 

Both were plenty of room for us.  Seemed like the same size as our usual VF balcony cabins just less the balcony.  It had been awhile since we were last in an inside as we thought we always required a balcony.  Her Majesty said "these are not bad at all and have plenty of room" and now she is permitting the booking of insides when it is a port intense itinerary. 

We have learned that the inside cabins also arrive at the port the same time as the balcony cabins and the $$$$ savings is substantial.

RE:  Spa deck cabins....We got a free upgrade to a VQ spa balcony deck cabin once.  It's a nice location as you are tucked away on top and we frequent the gym/hydro suite but, in our opinion, it is not worth the extra $$$$.  Deck 8 forward (one below the gym/spa) is just as convenient and has a much better price point. 

Enjoy the cruise!

Curious as to whether you used room service/in cabin dining in either of these cabins, and your comments/experience with that.

9 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

We did not partake in in-room dining/service.

This may partially explain your general satisfaction with the roominess of the cabins. Seems that many of the comments relating to tiny cabins refer to the lack of a place to sit down and enjoy room service, other than on  the bed.

This is a bit discouraging to us, as we do enjoy coffee service every morning, and occasionally a full meal in our cabin. A deal breaker...no, but still..

53 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Can the small dressing table double as a place to receive, or use as a tray table for room service?

For one person, yes. You can sit on the cube and eat at the dressing table. That is assuming you don’t keep things out on that table that you would have to move each time. 

As for the response that said their inside cabins were as big as a VF this is clearly inconsistent with reality. Maybe they are confusing an ocean view with an inside but the inside cabins are much smaller because they lack all of the extra area normally used for the small couch across from the dressing table. The pinnacle class OV cabins are about the same size as a veranda cabin but just without the veranda but the interior cabins are not even close.  I would say they are probably no more than about 70% the area of the OV or Veranda cabin. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

This may partially explain your general satisfaction with the roominess of the cabins. Seems that many of the comments relating to tiny cabins refer to the lack of a place to sit down and enjoy room service, other than on  the bed.

This is a bit discouraging to us, as we do enjoy coffee service every morning, and occasionally a full meal in our cabin. A deal breaker...no, but still..

Understood.

Coffee and breakfast might easily sit on the desk.....But the atmosphere of eating in the bedroom would not work for us even if it fit.  

Now breakfast on our balcony, that's worth it!

(for us, we would be fine slepping our sorry selves to the the lido for breakfast if it save us big $$$$ vs eating in the bedroom....again, our opinion and understand that others see this differently....folks need to work their own business case to do what works for them)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

As for the response that said their inside cabins were as big as a VF this is clearly inconsistent with reality.

Just relaying our "feeling of reality".   We "felt" and "experienced" the same type of room that our VF balcony has just less the very nice balcony....Not confused with an Oceanview.  We've never experienced an Oceanview on HAL. 

But, let's look at the square feet:

According to HAL (from website):

Inside= 143 to 225 square feet

Verandah/Balcony= 228 to 405 (balcony included)

So if you took a verandah/balcony cabin and deducted the balcony dimensions, the inside cabins are not much different.  

Perhaps my "feeling of reality" was close to real?

What am I missing?

31 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Just relaying our "feeling of reality".   We "felt" and "experienced" the same type of room that our VF balcony has just less the very nice balcony....Not confused with an Oceanview.  We've never experienced an Oceanview on HAL. 

But, let's look at the square feet:

According to HAL (from website):

Inside= 143 to 225 square feet

Verandah/Balcony= 228 to 405 (balcony included)

So if you took a verandah/balcony cabin and deducted the balcony dimensions, the inside cabins are not much different.  

Perhaps my "feeling of reality" was close to real?

What am I missing?

Everyone is entitled to their own reality. If you believe it to be true I cannot convince you otherwise.  HAL exaggerates their numbers and never actually tells you the size of YOUR cabin (or any particular cabin) so it’s not possible to compare their published ranges of areas. The fact is that every cabin above an interior on the pinnacle class has at least an extra 40-50 SF of area that the interiors don’t have. Doesn’t sound like a lot but if it’s the difference between 150 and 200 SF it’s pretty dramatic 

Edited by Real NHDOC

2 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

HAL exaggerates their numbers and never actually tells you the size of YOUR cabin so it’s not possible to compare their published areas.

Guess we all need to start bringing our tape measures and adding that to HALfacts.  LOL.

All good...as I enjoy my own reality!  

• Like 1

Truth in advertising is not adhered to in the cruise business.  Cabin size is almost never disclosed except in ranges. I would doubt very much there is a 225 sf interior cabin on a pinnacle class ship, except of course the handicap rooms discussed above. Those are pretty roomy. Just not available to everyone. 

47 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

The fact is that every cabin above an interior on the pinnacle class has at least an extra 40-50 SF of area that the interiors don’t have.

What's your source for this?  

And do you know the square footage of a verandah balcony (the balcony portion only, not the entire cabin)? 

Edited by FlaMariner

19 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

What's your source for this?  

And do you know the square footage of a verandah balcony? 

It’s the width of the cabin times the length of the small couch that is missing from them. If you figure the couch is about 5’ long and the cabin about 10’ wide you get 50 sf. Maybe I am being generous so I say 40-50 sf. The verandas are the width of the cabin times their depth. The depth varies from about 3-5 feet on up to the very deep ones at the transition points. So probably 30-50 sf on average. 

We’ve spent about 300-400 days on pinnacle class ships in every type of cabin from interior to neptune suite. 

You can justify a lot of things to make the case for taking an interior cabin, you just can’t say they’re about the same size because they’re just not. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Thanks 1

Gotcha!

I'll stick with the HAL square footage numbers and our view of reality after being in both types of cabins.

We've only spent 56 days on Pinnacle ships (42 days in VF & VQ  balconies and 14 days in Insides).  Your 300-400 days onboard Pinnacle class ships and your variety of cabin types makes you  much more of an expert than I am. Nice. 

All good and savor the journey....no matter your cabin size!

I worry more about the numbers of drawers and closet space.

Last cruise on Konigsdam we were on two different decks - in similar cabins, but the verandah on Deck four was huge compared to Deck 8.  But we were "short-drawered" on Deck Four - the drawers pulled out only half the distance as the Deck 8 cabin drawers.

Something internal must have blocked the depth of that drawer space on that deck. However, everything we took for a 19 day cruise still found a place. 

4 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

It’s the width of the cabin times the length of the small couch that is missing from them. If you figure the couch is about 5’ long and the cabin about 10’ wide you get 50 sf. Maybe I am being generous so I say 40-50 sf. The verandas are the width of the cabin times their depth. The depth varies from about 3-5 feet on up to the very deep ones at the transition points. So probably 30-50 sf on average. 

Do you have a special tape measure holder that you can clip on your belt and carry with you at all times while cruising?...   j/k 🤣

• Haha 1

While the vista class has some more options in terms of interior cabins the photos don’t help the OP who was asking about the Rotterdam. 

One of HAL’s deceptive practices that bothers me include showing the photos of those large interior cabins as being typical when one books an interior on the Vista class, however there aren’t that many like those and you’re more likely to get a small cabin on those too.  It’s not until you open the cabin door that you realize your cabin doesn’t look anything like that. 

10 hours ago, ski ww said:

This is an inside cabin on the Westerdam, can't remember our room #, but we had a cabin crawl to see the different types of cabins & we hosted an inside one.

That's a J- or K-category cabin, which are that size on Main Deck ONLY, on the Vista and Signature class ships. Those cabins are a generous size, and capable of taking a mobility scooter (should there be a need for one, without the need for other accessible features). 
There are also a few I-category cabins on an upper deck that are also a generous size, but the other inside cabins are
tiny

• Like 2

On 2/8/2023 at 5:06 AM, artvlay said:

Haven't booked an interior Cabin on Holland and would like direction from experienced people.

We want to book the largest interior class on Rotterdam. Is "I" the largest?

What is the Spa Interior cabin? How does it differ from regular cabins ?

Thank you 

Hello, artvlay,

We were on Rotterdam in December 2021. We were in Cabin 1146 on the Main deck. Because of its orientation there seemed to be more space than most inside cabins. We are Inside cabin fans for a lot of reasons, price being foremost.

Jim