Carry-on Weight Limit for Qantas and Air New Zealand

After two years of planning we (4 siblings and spouses) leave from the States in less than 40 days for our trips to New Zealand (7 day South Island tour) and to Australia (7 days in Sydney and 28 day Round Australia cruise) and are finally getting serious about packing.  We are all on United flying outbound which doesn't have a weight limit on carry-ons.  One couple is flying directly on a Air New Zealand/United code share from the States to Auckland to Christchurch.  The other three couples are flying into Sydney, sightseeing for a few days, and then will be on Qantas and Air New Zealand for the round trip to Christchurch. Post cruise we are flying back to the States on United. 

All that said, we will have more luggage than usual but those visiting Sydney will leave at least a bag each at the hotel that we will return to for a few days before the cruise.  I always carry a luggage scale but am interested in how strict they are on the weight limit as long as the luggage meets the size limit. 

Thanks.  And thank you to all the posters on this thread who have been great sources of information for the past two years since we first booked the cruise!

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

After two years of planning we (4 siblings and spouses) leave from the States in less than 40 days for our trips to New Zealand (7 day South Island tour) and to Australia (7 days in Sydney and 28 day Round Australia cruise) and are finally getting serious about packing.  We are all on United flying outbound which doesn't have a weight limit on carry-ons.  One couple is flying directly on a Air New Zealand/United code share from the States to Auckland to Christchurch.  The other three couples are flying into Sydney, sightseeing for a few days, and then will be on Qantas and Air New Zealand for the round trip to Christchurch. Post cruise we are flying back to the States on United. 

All that said, we will have more luggage than usual but those visiting Sydney will leave at least a bag each at the hotel that we will return to for a few days before the cruise.  I always carry a luggage scale but am interested in how strict they are on the weight limit as long as the luggage meets the size limit. 

Thanks.  And thank you to all the posters on this thread who have been great sources of information for the past two years since we first booked the cruise!

You also have not stated whether you are flying economy or business class, as the limits increase for the latter.  That is, an extra item in some cases.  All the limits in dimensions, weights and quantities should have been printed on the pages following your e-ticket.  United might not be so helpful there, compared to Qantas.  Definitely the weight limit will be observed, if not actually put on a scale.

Have a wonderful trip, tour and cruise. 

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

Carry on bag weight will depend on class as said above.

I have travelled many times on Qantas, both local and international, and I have never had my carry on weighed or put in the size check rack. In many cases our carry on's have been over weight.

How ever I would not count on it, they do from time to time check. we always have things in them that can be taken out and worn, just in case.😬

As mentioned, size comes into it. 

When buying luggage here, there are two different carry-on sizes, commonly referred to as domestic carry-on and international carry-on. The "international" size is commonly used all over the US, but is oversized for most economy Oz/NZ flights. Depending on the airline/aircraft type, the international carry-on bags will not fit in overhead lockers.

• Like 1

It depends if everyones flights (per person/couple/family) are on the same ticket.

Say, US-SYD-AKL-CHC-US.

Then, for all flights, a generous 2-piece checked luggage (max 32 kg on QF) should apply to all flights.

As for cabin luggage, i suggest that you stick to the 7 kg limit as much as possible. At least dont bring SEVERAL pieces, and nothing that obviously looks heavy or is of excessive size. That sort of thing just ticks off every diligent check-in person or gate agent.

• Like 2

Qantas and AirNZ are pretty strict on carry on. Checked baggage (with limits) is free partly to discourage people from cramming everything into carryon to save money on checked luggage and filling up the overhead bins.  When we travelled to the US I had to train my husband to get on the planes as soon as possible as unlike in Australia where you can usually find space in an overhead locker regardless of when you board, in the US the lockers filled up very quickly.  As Buchhalm said if the flights are all on the same ticket, the most generous allowance usually applies.  My nephew recently returned to Australia with Qatar and because the last flight on his ticket was a domestic virgin flight with a generous bag allowance, he wasn't charged excess baggage by Qatar, whereas a colleague was charged more than $200 simply because they did not have the virgin domestic flight on their ticket.   

I want to thank each and everyone of you for your responses.  As I said, we knew what the size limit is so I will just re-enforce that everyone should stay within the weight limit too (and verify it with a luggage scale before departing for the airport).

My siblings and their spouses send their thanks too! 

• Like 3