Sail and sign charges question

Eli_6

I have four charges "pending" to my credit card from my sail-and-sign account.  Only we paid our balance on our S&S account while onboard with gift cards.  Will these eventually fall off or do I need to go ahead and contact carnival?  

Edit: To clarify, we just got off today. 

Edited by Eli_6

Agree with shof515 with one note. If you put write-in tips on a receipt, such as a drink receipt, the last night, it may not have shown up on your sign and sail account till after you were off the ship. We often have that happen. When we look at the print-out they put in your room mailbox the last morning we will see the drinks charges but not the tips we added. In those cases the pending charges on our visa account will disappear except for those tips.

11 hours ago, mz-s said:

Back in the day the funtimes used to explain this. I don't know where this information is nowadays that the funtimes doesn't exist. I guess it's on the app somewhere where nobody ever goes.

They also cover it in their FAQ:

Sail & Sign Account Opened with a Credit Card or Debit Card

• Guests may activate their Sail & Sign account on Carnival.com, My Cruise Manager, Online Check-in prior to their cruise or on the first day of the cruise at embarkation.
  • On embarkation day, an initial bank hold of up to $200 (depending on cruise length) is placed on all credit card and debit card accounts to verify that the card is valid:
    • 2 - 6 day cruise: $100 USD for each stateroom charged using the same credit card or debit card 
    • 7 days or longer: $200 USD for each stateroom charged using the same credit card or debit card 
  • If the guest replaces a credit card or debit card previously used, the hold will remain on the account during the cruise and will remain on the account for one or more days after the cruise depending on the issuing bank's hold policy, limiting access to funds.
  • As money is spent throughout the cruise, additional holds on bank funds are obtained. This will result in multiple amounts being held.  
    • If a credit card is presented, this will reduce the amount available on the credit card for other purchases.
    • If a debit/check-cashing card is presented, the hold will restrict the available cash in the checking account.
  • On the day the cruise returns, Carnival immediately settles the guest's account with their bank for the total amount of their onboard expenses. Holds will remain on the account for one or more days depending on the issuing bank's hold policy, limiting access to funds.
  • For Debit Card Holders, if using this form of payment, the bank will process the final total spent on the guest's Sail & Sign account plus retain the bank holds processed, per the bank policy.
  • The bank is responsible for releasing any pending holds from the guest's account.
  • Please Note: Carnival is not able to expedite the release of bank holds. The guest will need to contact their bank for assistance.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Funtimes really needs to come back

This thread got me to thinking so I pulled out a set of Fun Times from our cruise in 2012. No mention of credit card holds. While I miss the Fun Times using the app is more friendly to the environment.

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

This thread got me to thinking so I pulled out a set of Fun Times from our cruise in 2012. No mention of credit card holds. While I miss the Fun Times using the app is more friendly to the environment.

I don't know about 2012 but I remember credit card holds being discussed in the funtimes more recently - like early 2020 before COVID. It may also have been discussed in other paperwork that used to be delivered to the stateroom...

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

I don't know about 2012 but I remember credit card holds being discussed in the funtimes more recently - like early 2020 before COVID. It may also have been discussed in other paperwork that used to be delivered to the stateroom...

I thought this was covered in the Debarkation Information letter they put in your cabin the last evening.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Last time we cruised with Carnival, they no longer left paper copies of Fun Times in your cabin, but they were available to pick up by guest services. Are they still there for people to pick up for those who want paper copies? Or, is it digital only?

yes paper copies is still there. the coffee shop also has it too 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The sheets at coffee shop etc are just a listing of daily activities and open times. It doesn't have all the info that used to be in the funtimes.

that is the same thing that guest services has

the actual funtimes format that they had back in the day is pretty much gone these days 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

As of today, 2 of the holds disappeared and 2 are still there.  

It could be there a few more days, depending on when exactly they were placed. I noticed on my last cruise, there seemed to be holds placed on my card after certain dollar amounts were met, meaning multiple holds throughout the cruise. Unless there were amounts charged to your S&S account after you paid it onboard, all of the holds will fall off, usually within 5 business days, and nothing will be pushed through as a settled charge. Note also that the holds may not fall off until after nightly processing for your card on the last business day the hold is good for.

Edited by Mic101680
typos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mic101680 said:

It could be there a few more days, depending on when exactly they were placed. I noticed on my last cruise, there seemed to be holds placed on my card after certain dollar amounts were met, meaning multiple holds throughout the cruise. Unless there were amounts charged to your S&S account after you paid it onboard, all of the holds will fall off, usually within 5 business days, and nothing will be pushed through as a settled charge. Note also that the holds may not fall off until after nightly processing for your card on the last business day the hold is good for.

Yes, it is probably that last statement as the two holds from the first day fell off and the two still left are from the second day.