THE WORST CRUISE I'VE TAKEN and the RESPONSE FROM MSC.

scorpiony3358

17 hours ago, nednrom said:

I've been on an inaugural cruise and there is something given out to commemorate the occasion. MSC gave nothing!

(You have this letter and your fond memories!)

I love this statement

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I was surprised that my remarks didn't get a single like, but your quote of one of my remarks did.  So that's something.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

There is/was a guy on the RCCL boards that had a similar reputation for complaining called Andy. Every cruise he found something to complain about and received in return a voucher for $300- $400 for a future cruise depending on the category he booked. Complaining can be a profitable endeavor.

Bur really, do you want to spend your time on the ship complaining?  Shouldn't you be relaxing and soaking up the sun vs lining up at the customer service desk in hopes of something?  I mean there are legit complaints but if the whole cruise sucks (but others are enjoying their time) -- maybe its not them but you? (speaking about the guy who complains and not you specifically)

Edited by xcell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stories like this still won't deter me from booking more MSC cruises.  The only thing I might reconsider is whether to request a table for two instead of our usual group table.  In 50 cruises, we've had one couple who, 30 seconds or so after introducing themselves, said "We voted for......", and one couple who complained at every meal.  Neither became our favorite tablemates.  Apart from those two, we've enjoyed all our cruises, and all our dinners with positive people.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 12:21 AM, scorpiony3358 said:

.....This was my first cruise with MSC taken on the recommendation of my travel agent. I've previously cruised on Regent, Silversea, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL and Oceania....

For me, this is the most telling part of OPs long and poorly structured whinge. Most cruisers go up the food chain so my hunch is that the order of those cruiselines in the OPs experience might be NCL, RC, Princess, Celebrity Oceania, Silver sea, Regent.

Most likely recent experience will be on the higher end of this particular food chain. So, an allegedly experienced cruiser compares MSC (non-YC) against some of these premium/luxury lines! 🙄 🤔

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/9/2023 at 10:46 PM, nednrom said:

I've also been cruising for over 25 years and I've had some bad cruises myself.  I don't think that compensation is warrented here. Whether you like something or not is subjective and not a reason to compensate a passenger.  You might have been better off just bringing up the billing issue.  Even then:

1. If you're given on board credit, you cannot spend it before getting onboard.  That is true for all cruise lines - you prepaid for a drink package and dinner package and had $500 on board credit to spend after that.

2. Some of the onboard credit can be non-refundable (on any cruise line) - whether it's refundable or non-refundable should be on your invoice.

3. You can't get compensated for a cruise becase you didn't like the entertainment, food, service etc.  espcially since you didn't miss any ports. My travel agent was told that Seascape could not guarantee an extension cord for my husband's CPAP so we took both water and extension cord with us.  Maybe your TA is not too familiar with MSC.

This kind of principle holds true for all service industries. If you're in the music industry you may know - I can't return tickets to a concert or I couldn't return a music CD once I opened it whether I liked the music on it or not.

1 is actually inaccurate. I have on many occasions spent on board credit before sailing with both Royal and Celebrity so it is not true for all cruise lines.

never been able to use my MSC credit in advance but to say that is true of all cruise lines is misleading.

Edited by Spurschick

If you look at his profile he is warning people on Regent and Silverseas (I think) to BEWARE single supplements and the cruiseline keeping his money! We may have a troll as someone suggested Mariner Boy!!

Edited by emmas gran
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, emmas gran said:

If you look at his profile he is warning people on Regent and Silverseas (I think) to BEWARE single supplements and the cruiseline keeping his money! We may have a troll as someone suggested Mariner Boy!!

You kind of don't need proof.  People like OP who take paragraphs to recount an issue, or like @mscdivina2016 belaboring a point ad nauseum, typically aren't just sharing a point or experience. 

OP wanted sympathy because his two page complaint letter didn't get him a free cruise and I've yet to figure out what @mscdivina2016's pile on was all about.  There's an old saying - leopards don't change their spots.  Some people relish being miserable and you can tell by what and how they post. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hamrag said:

For me, this is the most telling part of OPs long and poorly structured whinge. Most cruisers go up the food chain so my hunch is that the order of those cruiselines in the OPs experience might be NCL, RC, Princess, Celebrity Oceania, Silver sea, Regent.

Most likely recent experience will be on the higher end of this particular food chain. So, an allegedly experienced cruiser compares MSC (non-YC) against some of these premium/luxury lines! 🙄 🤔

Actually, maybe OP should fire his TA as they were the ones that recommended MSC, even though he has been on Regent, Silver Seas, etc...

• Like 4

Some people just have it in their nature to complain and never try to find anything positive.

We were on MSC's inaugural  cruise to the U.S. in 2008.  Thoroughly enjoyed the international flavor of food, entertainment, ports and guests.  Was it perfect?  Probably not but we thoroughly enjoyed.

The worst were the ugly Americans who were rude, complained of everything and, literally, had staff in tears.

Sailing MSC again in 2024 in the Mediterranean between transatlantics and looking forward to it.

Negotiations are progressing for MSC to home port in Galveston and construct a new terminal.  I can only hope that cruisers will treat others as they would like to be treated.

This is the kind of traveler that cruise lines should probably pay to stay home.

Extension cord: I carry one with me, along with a small 3-to-1 splitter so that I can plug in multiple devices. A "seasoned traveler" should bring what he needs and not expect a cruise ship to provide things like extension cords.

CPAP user and cigar smoker? Good thinking.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What has been posted here and elsewhere by many including scorpiony3358 and mscdivina2016 have been very helpful to us. Caveat emptor. When I first began my affiliation with CC I was accused of being another nom de plume of ‘mariner boy’ having read his review of the Seaside and agreeing with his use of the elevator override for Yacht Club guests. Seems that anything that ‘piques’ a fellow enthusiast, like using elevator over rides, tipping extra, and dressing for meals in restaurants brings about the wrath of many.

We have learned from scorpiony3358, again, not to take an inaugural cruise (most cruise gurus advise the same). To bring all necessary paraphernalia with one (extension cords,etc). That complimentary foods (ice cream/gelato) are not yet being served until week 4 after an inaugural (we had it every lunch and dinner on cruise 4). Learned never to purchase the restaurant packages until one reads the included menu first. Not to expect the entertainers or the staff to be ‘ready’ even on cruise #4.

From mscdivina2016 I learned to take the offered refund or date change and not sail on a chartered ship. We were able last year to book a cruise in a suite 48 hours before the ship sailed.

I appreciate the constant reminders posted here. It makes CC a more valuable resource for us novice and adroit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 4:31 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this part...

On our last Celebrity (Reflection B2B) sailing, we had something like $800 OBC for each leg. I was able to draw on that prior to sailing for excursions and such - ended up using most it ahead of time to get dozens of their $55 promo chips for $50.

On our upcoming Mardi Gras sailing, each time I've purchased something for that cruise (Wi-Fi, specialty dining, etc), I'm given the option of using my OBC. I, instead, use the handy $500 AARP Carnival gift cards - which I purchased for $450 each. 🙂

Tom

Some cruise lines allow to use OB prior to sailing, and some don’t (Seabourn, for example).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

What has been posted here and elsewhere by many including scorpiony3358 and mscdivina2016 have been very helpful to us. Caveat emptor. When I first began my affiliation with CC I was accused of being another nom de plume of ‘mariner boy’ having read his review of the Seaside and agreeing with his use of the elevator override for Yacht Club guests. Seems that anything that ‘piques’ a fellow enthusiast, like using elevator over rides, tipping extra, and dressing for meals in restaurants brings about the wrath of many.

We have learned from scorpiony3358, again, not to take an inaugural cruise (most cruise gurus advise the same). To bring all necessary paraphernalia with one (extension cords,etc). That complimentary foods (ice cream/gelato) are not yet being served until week 4 after an inaugural (we had it every lunch and dinner on cruise 4). Learned never to purchase the restaurant packages until one reads the included menu first. Not to expect the entertainers or the staff to be ‘ready’ even on cruise #4.

From mscdivina2016 I learned to take the offered refund or date change and not sail on a chartered ship. We were able last year to book a cruise in a suite 48 hours before the ship sailed.

I appreciate the constant reminders posted here. It makes CC a more valuable resource for us novice and adroit. 

I love your posts. You always find positive things even in some of the most negative posts on here. 

You’re truly an asset to these boards! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Spurschick said:

1 is actually inaccurate. I have on many occasions spent on board credit before sailing with both Royal and Celebrity so it is not true for all cruise lines.

never been able to use my MSC credit in advance but to say that is true of all cruise lines is misleading.

The same here, but the basic premise relates to the OP's unhappiness that they ended the cruise with OBC remaining, and I think that most cruise line OBC will expire at the end of the cruise if you don't use it.  So I didn't find that comment to be a reasonable complaint, particularly coming from a seasoned cruiser.  As to the billing concerns, most know it's important to address billing issues while still on the ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I'd certainly agree with that.  Anyone who has been reading these boards for a while will probably recognise that MSCDIVINA has a tendency to over-elaborate.

I don't mind.  I've griped about some of my considerable concerns, mostly pre-cruise.  Usually, they're directed at those new to MSC in order to properly set expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is to Emmas Gran

In reply to you calling me a troll because I voiced my opinion first let me say as a Solo traveler having to pay a supplement is OK as long as it is reasonable. Interesting how now Regent is pushing that they currently have 20 cruises with a zero supplement. I took advantage of two the first in Aug 8th 20 nights Copenhagen to Amsterdam and the second Nov 4th Istanbul to Barcelona. Since you want to point out that I posted about the single supplement you fail to mention I didn't say anything negative about Regent and have sailed over 100 days with them. 

Regarding Silversea my issue was that I had 3 expeditions booked prior to Covid. It was Silversea that cancelled then rescheduled which was OK with me as the price was the same. What I didn't appreciate was that they then rescheduled again, but this time the price doubled and that's when I cancelled as they kept $600. I also cancelled the other two, but no money was held. I have over 100 nights with Silversea and will book another cruise when they have a reasonable single supplement.

To xcell

I totally agree with enjoying the cruise, but when one follows the instructions regarding cabin needs for my CPAP machine in writing and receives a confirmation one would think everything was fine. 

I was told there was a Cigar lounge as was my TA and it didn't exist I was also told that I could change a specialty restaurant which also wasn't true. 

The lesson learned is not to take a new TA at their word and you get what you pay for. 

• Like 1

To Hamrag

Sorry my post didn't meet your standards. I do have the following scheduled for the rest of the year and who knows might add another or two. Uniworld Budapest to Bucharest 10 nights

NCL Athens RT 14 nights

Regent Copenhagen to Amsterdam 20 nights

Regent Istanbul to Barcelona 14 nights

To Longterm

First I've never had an extension cord issue in over 30 cruises beginning in 1999. Second MSC had my request in writing and responded that my needs would be in my cabin. I do carry adaptors as well as a backup battery. 

Guess you're not a doctor as a CPAP machine has nothing to do with smoking. 

Finally you live in Tx 

To B_A_H

I didn't request a free cruise and if one was offered I wouldn't use it as MSC is not my cup of tea. The only compensation I would want was the return of the unused OBC because on other cruise lines one is allowed to use it during pre booking. 

Finally I don't need sympathy and wouldn't have posted if MSC had responded and addressed my issues for which I set a time limit which was ignored. Upon reading the posts it shows that MSC doesn't care about their customers and hopefully my post with the issues opens some eyes.

25 minutes ago, scorpiony3358 said:

To xcell

I totally agree with enjoying the cruise, but when one follows the instructions regarding cabin needs for my CPAP machine in writing and receives a confirmation one would think everything was fine. 

I was told there was a Cigar lounge as was my TA and it didn't exist I was also told that I could change a specialty restaurant which also wasn't true. 

The lesson learned is not to take a new TA at their word and you get what you pay for. 

From experience I have gotten 3 different answers from 3 different MSC reps so it wouldn’t surprise me that someone told your TA the wrong info. 

Considering the cruise lines you’ve cruised with I’m surprised you didn’t book the Yacht Club. 

Just curious…what do you want them to do for you? Full refund?

03697CB9-D406-4F3B-8DC6-0A335B6C3BB4.jpeg.66e43b0943f8687ce59edbf674756c2b.jpeg