18 days on Marina Santiago to Buenos Aires 2025

Lundboat

We are booked in a PH2, but can change to a Concierge Veranda.  

The PH2 is $4,000 more than the CV, but there are a couple of changes that might not work out so well.

The room is smaller, and for 18 days on a mostly colder weather cruise we might enjoy the larger room.

Specialty reservations are 2 each on a PH, and only 1 each with a CV.

Also, might be nice for the butler to bring us dinner from a Specialty given the number of nights.

Of course there are additional considerations.

On the flip side, airfare from Seattle will run over $5,000 for both of us round trip, and saving $4,000 on the cruise goes a long way.

We are both just retired and just getting used to fixed income.

Thoughts from those that have done a long cruise in either type of cabin???

This one is pretty easy as we just disembarked Marina on Tuesday, February 7 after a Buenos Aires to Santiago cruise in a PH 2.  It is always nice to have 50% more space AND a walk in closet. Men, do not laugh, that closet is a real plus.  Our Butler was outstanding and it was great to have his assistance daily, for whatever we wanted.  Money decisions are only your decisions so it is your call but you will have more available $$ just entering retirement than perhaps later on in retirement, JMHO. 

We were able to get the Air Credit and only added a few hundred extra to fly Premium Economy from LAX to Buenos Aires and then from Santiago to Sacramento. Do some real price watching for your flights, there are some dollars to be saved. We were in a pretty new American 787 and it was a great flight, in both directions we flew through DFW. That keg of the trip is 10 hours so add your Seattle leg on top of that.  If you are going to fly Business Class, it is a “chunk” more PP each way so hopefully you have lots of Frequent Flier miles to use.  The flight options were challenging depending on the airline, many different cities were used.  DFW, Houston, Miami, San Paulo, Atlanta, etc.  it can be a long, brutal flight but we heard guests having 16 to 20 to 24 to 38 hour travel days so give a lot of thought besides the $$ to that flight decision. 

We used a Consolidater for a Business Class, RT, SFO to Rome and home from Venice in May for a Vista cruise and while pricy, it was a reasonable option as we saw prices escalate from $3k to 5k to 7k pp. OUTRAGEOUS.  It seems like the airlines are trying to make up for two Covid years losses in a single year with the prices being charged. 
Good Luck and Enjoy your cruise, we loved getting down to Antarctica on our trip. While we rarely got out on our Veranda, we would never give it up to save some $$.  Happy Wife, Happy Life and that goes for the PH too. 

Mauibabes 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mauibabes said:

This one is pretty easy as we just disembarked Marina on Tuesday, February 7 after a Buenos Aires to Santiago cruise in a PH 2.  It is always nice to have 50% more space AND a walk in closet. Men, do not laugh, that closet is a real plus.  Our Butler was outstanding and it was great to have his assistance daily, for whatever we wanted.  Money decisions are only your decisions so it is your call but you will have more available $$ just entering retirement than perhaps later on in retirement, JMHO. 

We were able to get the Air Credit and only added a few hundred extra to fly Premium Economy from LAX to Buenos Aires and then from Santiago to Sacramento. Do some real price watching for your flights, there are some dollars to be saved. We were in a pretty new American 787 and it was a great flight, in both directions we flew through DFW. That keg of the trip is 10 hours so add your Seattle leg on top of that.  If you are going to fly Business Class, it is a “chunk” more PP each way so hopefully you have lots of Frequent Flier miles to use.  The flight options were challenging depending on the airline, many different cities were used.  DFW, Houston, Miami, San Paulo, Atlanta, etc.  it can be a long, brutal flight but we heard guests having 16 to 20 to 24 to 38 hour travel days so give a lot of thought besides the $$ to that flight decision. 

We used a Consolidater for a Business Class, RT, SFO to Rome and home from Venice in May for a Vista cruise and while pricy, it was a reasonable option as we saw prices escalate from $3k to 5k to 7k pp. OUTRAGEOUS.  It seems like the airlines are trying to make up for two Covid years losses in a single year with the prices being charged. 
Good Luck and Enjoy your cruise, we loved getting down to Antarctica on our trip. While we rarely got out on our Veranda, we would never give it up to save some $$.  Happy Wife, Happy Life and that goes for the PH too. 

Mauibabes 

Thanks!  Sounds like we are taking your thoughts seriously and staying in the PH.  18 days could turn out to be a very long time if we are in a cabin that does not work for us.  And we will be spending a little more on flights so we have 2 flights each direction instead of 3.  And we we opt in for the Oceania room and transfers on either end of the trip.  That will make things super simple and a lot less worry.

We are currently on the Marina too. Great so far!

We flew direct from London to Santiago in Business class. Used airpoints. Flight was fine! 

Santiago and Valparaiso are great. 

We are in a concierge verandah. Plenty of space although the wardrobe is a bit cramped although we have overpacked (3 cases). 

Glad we booked a mid-ship balcony. Possibly the 7th floor maybe better too. Although I would say that the seas have not been rough you can feel it more at the bow and aft.

• Like 1

We are on the March 6th 2025 Marina cruise and we faced the same questions, this is our first Oceania cruise after several years of Celebrity Retreat Sky suites. We decided on the Concierge level cabin, it is a little smaller (20sq ft) than A Sky Suite on Celebrity and we have been in SS for longer B2B Celebrity cruises with no problems. The cost of airfare was the deciding point between A2 and PH2 cabins. We are looking at fares for next January as a barometer for what to expect in 2025. We may be flying Copa Airlines form Houston to Santiago and home from Buenos Aires in BC for next year they have very attractive fares Rt in BC and get high ratings from our TA. Next year Premium economy on United is more than what we are paying this year for BC to Amsterdam and home from Athens.

We originally booked this itinerary for 14 days in a Sky Suite on the Celebrity Equinox. Then we found this cruise for 18 days on the Marina and the A2 cabins were the same cost as the SS on Celebrity, but we get 4 more days and 3 more ports. 

Edited by terrydtx

21 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

We are currently on the Marina too. Great so far!

We flew direct from London to Santiago in Business class. Used airpoints. Flight was fine! 

Santiago and Valparaiso are great. 

We are in a concierge verandah. Plenty of space although the wardrobe is a bit cramped although we have overpacked (3 cases). 

Glad we booked a mid-ship balcony. Possibly the 7th floor maybe better too. Although I would say that the seas have not been rough you can feel it more at the bow and aft.

Good information, we booked a midship A2 cabin on the 9th deck for our 2025 Marina cruise.

23 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We are on the March 6th 2025 Marina cruise and we faced the same questions, this is our first Oceania cruise after several years of Celebrity Retreat Sky suites. We decided on the Concierge level cabin, it is a little smaller (20sq ft) than A Sky Suite on Celebrity and we have been in SS for longer B2B Celebrity cruises with no problems. The cost of airfare was the deciding point between A2 and PH2 cabins. We are looking at fares for next January as a barometer for what to expect in 2025. We may be flying Copa Airlines form Houston to Santiago and home from Buenos Aires in BC for next year they have very attractive fares Rt in BC and get high ratings from our TA. Next year Premium economy on United is more than what we are paying this year for BC to Amsterdam and home from Athens.

We originally booked this itinerary for 14 days in a Sky Suite on the Celebrity Equinox. Then we found this cruise for 18 days on the Marina and the A2 cabins were the same cost as the SS on Celebrity, but we get 4 more days and 3 more ports. 

BC??? Not sure what that means........

We are currently on this cruise too. We chose a PH suite, for the extra amenities. Another plus is that today due to higher winds, the outside decks are closed for safety, but we have a bigger veranda to sit on, and a nice big window/door to both sit in front of to watch for - anything! The walk-in wardrobe is huge, and the extra space welcome. Recommend deck 10, as there is a large overhang from the pool deck that steals the sunshine from verandas on deck 11, plus if chairs are dragged on the pool deck it can be noisy especially in the mornings. 

• Like 1

Good choice Spotbattman.  The space is worth it all. We were in 10025 and had no issues whatsoever on noise and access to anything. I know airfares are NUTS but to make a booking decision for a cruise two years off for a PH vs A2 Stateroom is false economy. We are Oceania Platinum level, 20-39 cruise credits, and we have been in many Concierge and Penthouse Staterooms and IMHO, your analysis is like comparing an Apple to a Watermelon, especially with Celebrity stateroom history in the mix. It is a bad stateroom decision IMHO because the Oceania PH is for 18 DAYS, NOT hours spent in an airplane seat. If you want the space and PH amenities and can afford it, go BIG. Our Butler added additional Specialty reservations routinely and that was for 6 guests as we were traveling with friends, not just 2 Tops. Our Butlers have been WONDERFUL so again, 18 days with an Oceania Butler is a much smarter decision than anything you can get out of your Crystal ball based on future airfares. JMHO 😇

Flights, I always start with the Oceania Free Economy Air, and yes I know nothing is Free but its value is about $700 pp each way. Then I look at Premium Economy options and also flight itineraries from other Major Airports close by. Business Class is normally out of our options since we do not have loads of FF Miles. This trip we took a cheap Southwest hop to LAX, used a Free Marriott night to get some rest and selected a late morning American flight as opposed to a miserable 6:00 a.m. flight to start our travel day. We then took advantage of some great American Premium Economy flights on their Boeing 787 which was perfect for us and only a few hundred more than the Oceania Air Credit. Better Bang for the Buck that added to the outstanding Oceania Value they are always pitching. 

Bottom line,, 18 days of cruising is worth a lot more decision weight than you were giving it in your analysis.  You are going on a luxury cruise to South America, or wherever, so value the cruise as opposed to the flight. 
As always, JMHO so enjoy your cruise.

By the way, I did $uck it up and booked Business Class, not thru O, to take the May Vista Founders Cruise because we do not want to arrive EXHAUSTED in Rome for a short 7 day cruise and then immediately fly back to California. The flight decision, and my wife’s INPUT, won out over me saving some money.  AKA, Happy wife, happy life!!!

Mauibabes

5 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Good choice Spotbattman.  The space is worth it all. We were in 10025 and had no issues whatsoever on noise and access to anything. I know airfares are NUTS but to make a booking decision for a cruise two years off for a PH vs A2 Stateroom is false economy. We are Oceania Platinum level, 20-39 cruise credits, and we have been in many Concierge and Penthouse Staterooms and IMHO, your analysis is like comparing an Apple to a Watermelon, especially with Celebrity stateroom history in the mix. It is a bad stateroom decision IMHO because the Oceania PH is for 18 DAYS, NOT hours spent in an airplane seat. If you want the space and PH amenities and can afford it, go BIG. Our Butler added additional Specialty reservations routinely and that was for 6 guests as we were traveling with friends, not just 2 Tops. Our Butlers have been WONDERFUL so again, 18 days with an Oceania Butler is a much smarter decision than anything you can get out of your Crystal ball based on future airfares. JMHO 😇

Flights, I always start with the Oceania Free Economy Air, and yes I know nothing is Free but its value is about $700 pp each way. Then I look at Premium Economy options and also flight itineraries from other Major Airports close by. Business Class is normally out of our options since we do not have loads of FF Miles. This trip we took a cheap Southwest hop to LAX, used a Free Marriott night to get some rest and selected a late morning American flight as opposed to a miserable 6:00 a.m. flight to start our travel day. We then took advantage of some great American Premium Economy flights on their Boeing 787 which was perfect for us and only a few hundred more than the Oceania Air Credit. Better Bang for the Buck that added to the outstanding Oceania Value they are always pitching. 

Bottom line,, 18 days of cruising is worth a lot more decision weight than you were giving it in your analysis.  You are going on a luxury cruise to South America, or wherever, so value the cruise as opposed to the flight. 
As always, JMHO so enjoy your cruise.

By the way, I did $uck it up and booked Business Class, not thru O, to take the May Vista Founders Cruise because we do not want to arrive EXHAUSTED in Rome for a short 7 day cruise and then immediately fly back to California. The flight decision, and my wife’s INPUT, won out over me saving some money.  AKA, Happy wife, happy life!!!

Mauibabes

I assume you're talking to Terrydtx? 

I personally would sacrifice a few hours uncomfortable on a flight for almost 3 weeks in a PH vs a standard room. With a history of suites on Celebrity I feel he is setting himself up for unhappiness with Oceania. But I could be all wrong. 

DITTO ORV. Especially since terrydtx is flying from DFW country. We have not done the Celebrity Retreat Sky Suite but it makes no difference, Oceania PH for 18 days wins hands down. 
Terry, if you have not booked the PH, get er done asap. 
Mauibabes

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I assume you're talking to Terrydtx? 

I personally would sacrifice a few hours uncomfortable on a flight for almost 3 weeks in a PH vs a standard room. With a history of suites on Celebrity I feel he is setting himself up for unhappiness with Oceania. But I could be all wrong. 

I agree - this dilemma comes down to the personal preferences. We were fine in the standard cabin on many Oceania cruises, but I can’t imagine us flying coach to Europe anymore let alone more far away destinations. It’s the best when the budget allows for both the comfortable flight and the preferred cabin at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

DITTO ORV. Especially since terrydtx is flying from DFW country. We have not done the Celebrity Retreat Sky Suite but it makes no difference, Oceania PH for 18 days wins hands down. 
Terry, if you have not booked the PH, get er done asap. 
Mauibabes

I appreciate your concern but I fully believe we will be happy with a Concierge cabin on the cruise. The PH cabins may have a butler and more room but we book Celebrity Sky suites not for the butler but for the suites only restaurant ( Luminae), sun deck and lounge, none of which we would get with a PH on this cruise. The A2 cabin on the Marina will have all the room we need and all dining venues on Oc from what I have read are far superior to the Luminae on Celebrity in quality. Remember we are getting 18 nights on the Marina for what we would pay for a Sky Suite 14-night cruise on Celebrity and 3 less ports.

• Like 2

We are staying with our original plan, the PH2 and now trying to figure costs on flights based on timing as far out as possible.  Looks like either Delta or AA from Seattle.  Delta has a better schedule, AA has better creature comforts and food.  Schedule will probably win as we don't want to sit in airports for hours on end..... been there, done that.  Either airline will probably be premium economy.  Might upgrade if we go Delta for the schedule which would upgrade comfort and food.

We are very happy with the Concierge cabin. The extra wardrobe space and opportunity to have more speciality meals is a bonus in PH but we could book another holiday with the difference!

Access to the concierge lounge for convenience of drinks is great for my wife who does not breakfast. I even managed to hop in the jacuzzi on the forward ‘retreat’ deck today.

I enjoy Luminae & Blu on Celebrity but the food that O offers is so much better. 

Terry If you enjoy a premium included beverage package on Celebrity and you use it to the full, plan for the extra expense on O. We purchased several great bottles of wines from vineyards in Chile and are happy to pay the corkage. Enjoy a G&T in our cabin. 

Collecting airpoints (churning cards) is a hobby so I can fly business class. I would never pay for BC. Would fly premium economy or even let DW fly PE and I would go in the back! 

We have three Celebrity cruises and a Princess cruise booked in 23/24. Am seriously considering booking another O cruise onboard. Just love the food!

• Like 2