LUGGAGE STORAGE

GeriatricNurse

1 hour ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Is there a 'secure' location to store 'carry-on' luggage once onboard at embarcation until the announcement is made that the rooms are ready?

Depends on the ship...Jewel class and the other smaller ships will usually let you check it in a bar but I don't know how secure it is (you do get a claim check but it is out in the open). Breakaway class and above do not have this available.

That might depend on the ship. In the past, up to our Alaska cruise last July, we have found and used this service. They had a lounge/bar area roped off and attended. We were given a claim ticket. However, on the Sun last summer we needed to retrieve our bags before our cabin was ready. Only had backpacks on our latest cruise and did not look for it.

3 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Is there a 'secure' location to store 'carry-on' luggage once onboard at embarcation until the announcement is made that the rooms are ready?

Looks like you are on the Getaway. There is no drop off. You should leave all luggage with the porters and only have a small backpack or carryon bag. 

• Like 1

Remember the more you carry on, if you have to "nurse" it, is a real pain for yourself, and also everyone else, if you plan to eat in the Buffet.   It used to be quite easy when they had an MDR open on Embarkation Day but that sems to have gone the way of all good things.

Now that we can schedule our reservations in advance, my strategy will be to have a leisurely brunch the morning of embarkation and then make our way to the port in the early afternoon, when hopefully the crowds in the port building will have subsided and our room will be ready.

Edited by zzdoug

I carry on what I do not want to loose.  too many fliers distributed to rooms day 2 of cruise asking if you have seen this piece of luggage.  Cannot imagine why someone would keep luggage in their cabin if not theirs. but these notices have happened many times. We drop off carry on luggage in our cabin once onboard.  although rooms are not being announced as ready, you can find your cabin drop luggage off and go about the rest of the afternoon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

@hallux

when they had an MDR open on Embarkation Day but that sems to have gone the way of all good things.

They aren't doing that now?

We had 4 cruises on the Jade November/December and the MDR was not open on any of the 4 Embarkation Days.

Must be only the Jade...I have been on Encore, Escape, Bliss, Prima and even the Jade in the past 18 months and ate lunch in the MDR on embarkation day on all of them. Will find out next week if it is still happening when I embark on the Joy.

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Looks like you are on the Getaway. There is no drop off. You should leave all luggage with the porters and only have a small backpack or carryon bag. 

Yes, I understand that I leave my (larger) one bag of 'CHECKED' luggage with the porters, BUT I am wondering IF there is a SECURE (designated) location on the 'Getaway' where I would be able to deposit my (roller) 'CARRY-ON' bag, so that I would NOT have to drag it around with me everywhere on the ship; especially in the ?crowded dining venues; UNTIL an announcement is made that our staterooms are ready; (which I have read here on the NCL CCB 'may' not happen until 2:00 - 2:30 p.m.)!

3 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Yes, I understand that I leave my (larger) one bag of 'CHECKED' luggage with the porters, BUT I am wondering IF there is a SECURE (designated) location on the 'Getaway' where I would be able to deposit my (roller) 'CARRY-ON' bag, so that I would NOT have to drag it around with me everywhere on the ship; especially in the ?crowded dining venues; UNTIL an announcement is made that our staterooms are ready; (which I have read here on the NCL CCB 'may' not happen until 2:00 - 2:30 p.m.)!

And it appears the answer is no. We’ve always just brought our carry ons to the MDR, ate lunch, and then headed to our cabins.