Not to pile on, but it’s bad…

buckeye8810

23 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

@HMR74 are right about the price of AQ going through the roof. Pre-Covid the difference in fare between verandah and AQ was often less than $500 pp for the entire cruise. In the past year it more often upwards of $1000pp. Also in the past year they have increased the cost of specialty restaurants at least 20% and added an 18% gratuity on top of that.

A better way to analyze prices rather than using absolute dollars is to look at cost per day.

We were paying246 a day for 2 of us in Aqua late Dec 2019. The Dec 2020 was 28 days in Aqua in SE Asia and Austrailia and that was well under 400 a night, Thats headed toward 1,000 now. I looked at a Jan 2024 S class 9 night Carribean cruise and that was 7000 or 777 per night, non refundable. Not a spectacular itinerary.

((in 2020 a non refundable reduced price of a 14 day cruise by 900, now it adds a lot more both for aqua or suite))

I can only speak for myself but its pricing me out of cruising  because I want the experience to be nice. Moreso it made me look at land tours -totally different . But we actually see more  things and get authentic local meals.

If I want a relaxing vacation I go to a golf resort.

different strokes (golf pun)  for different folks.

Edited by HMR74
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

It really seems now ther are two classes inside X, Suites and Aqua, and the rest.

Its absurd to pay 100 a night for the specialty dining to avoid MDR. (buying a multi night pass) and frankly, Suite and Aqua prices have gone thru the roof.

My last X cruise was Dec 2019 in Aqua-the times we went to MDR for lunch it felt like instituational food. Blu did not. The NOv trip on Royal, the burgers in MDR were noticable better than the Burgers in X MDR. To get a good burger on X you have to go to Luminae.

Something  is wrong and I point the finger to management. When LLP is on board rather than socializing she needs to get her hands dirty and work in the galley of MDR on S class and see if she is proud of whats coming out of the kitchen.

Or, LPP should  spend the money and rennovate the ships to be all suite and that solves the food problem but then they have a problem with occupancy.

Boy, are they screwing up.

Are they screwing up though, or is food, as ever, subjective. Kwokpot just posted a review last night about the same sailing and said he had no complaints about food in the MDR and the food overall on the ship was good. 

The poster who just slated the MDR food in this thread last posted a review last year about the Apex and stated about eating in Luminae every night "I will say there’s not a lot on the menu that I’ll eat, but food is subjective."

Also, your comment about AQ prices being through the roof, are you taking into account those prices including classic drinks, WiFi and tips by default? I've looked at countless cruises where the difference between concierge and AQ pretty much amounts to the fact that AQ is all included. A very quick look at Beyond sailings next Jan/Feb shows the difference between concierge and AQ ranges from $120-150pp extra per day. The difference between upgrading concierge to all included and the AQ price is about $65pp per day on several sailings I just checked. Is that through the roof pricing? Not really. 

1 hour ago, avp1234 said:

A positive was the staff. So nice and friendly. Unfortunately, a lot of them said their contract was up and they were leaving. Moving to different companies, but that’s another story. All the bartenders were good. Housekeeping was great. All staff were really good. We have a trip in April on the beyond we’re going on, we’ll see how it goes. If no improvement I guess it’s time to finally move on from our celebrity. I guarantee we won’t be the only ones to do so. 

I just sailed Beyond, my honest my review of the food/dining is identical to yours. 

I wish you the best! 

Patty 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, OysterD said:

Are they screwing up though, or is food, as ever, subjective. Kwokpot just posted a review last night about the same sailing and said he had no complaints about food in the MDR and the food overall on the ship was good. 

The poster who just slated the MDR food in this thread last posted a review last year about the Apex and stated about eating in Luminae every night "I will say there’s not a lot on the menu that I’ll eat, but food is subjective."

Also, your comment about AQ prices being through the roof, are you taking into account those prices including classic drinks, WiFi and tips by default? I've looked at countless cruises where the difference between concierge and AQ pretty much amounts to the fact that AQ is all included. A very quick look at Beyond sailings next Jan/Feb shows the difference between concierge and AQ ranges from $120-150pp extra per day. The difference between upgrading concierge to all included and the AQ price is about $65pp per day on several sailings I just checked. Is that through the roof pricing? Not really. 

yeah, apples to apples

and Prices. I  booked a b2b2b back in Dec 2021 on Beyond in Skysuite for this Apr May.

When I booked it was 1156 a night and last I looked before I cancelled it was 1875 a night. exactly the same thing (although I get a % discount off list price thru TA).

Thats a 60% increase apples to apples.

The prior years 26 day cruise in suite  apples  to apples was 846 a night

Food is subjective, but since I was in the restaurant business I feel my subjective is a tad better than average.

Quality is several issues--Lexus vs toyota, Cadillac vs Buick  "quality"  where the beef for example gets cut down a level of quality.

On the other hand, if its not being prepared properly thats another level of quality. If both types decline -MDR gets Chevy vs Buick  and they change presentation and limit choices to cut costs and simplify (Henry Ford, any color as long as its black), thats a decline in services rendered. And reduced choices are also a decline in product.

Then I have another issue-may people just have low standards. Management has an easier time fooling those people

My wife has a simple comment

"if your standards are low you will not be disappointed"

and also :

"The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten”

now we have high prices

Companies like Cruise lines should always be setting higher and higher standards to make their customers 100% happy.  The Wow factor. X had that magical factor 4 years ago .

I for one do not want to spend big bucks on a cruise and not be happy.

Edited by HMR74
  • Like 7

By the way, this whole issue with refundabe non refundable has turned out to be a fiasco.

I think it was introduced somewhat before the pandemic.

When I was offered the choice of taking non refundable  on a deposit  of 900 to save 900 on a 4600  2020 cruise , it was a good risk as we never cancelled before final payment.

Then came the pandemic and took the control out of our hands.

I knew my cruises were not going several weeks before X cancelled them which was a few days after final payments were due-what a coincidence. Thats because Austrailia said it was closed to cruise ships till after 2020.

Now if you book a cruise the headline price is non refundable and you have to add to get refundable.

This is a management problem, just as much as anything else. Never make it appear you are taking something  away.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thanks for the review.  Curious if you tried any of the specialties and if so, was the food any better?  We board Solstice on Saturday...I'm definitely going in with an open mind because food taste is subjective but the use of poor quality meats is hard to cover up regardless of one's palate.  

No, we didn’t. I hope your dining experience is better. We did have a good time on the ship. Have fun!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, cw2go said:

I just sailed Beyond, my honest my review of the food/dining is identical to yours. 

I wish you the best! 

Patty 

It’s booked and paid for so we’re going. Sorry you had the same experience as us. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

looks like progresso canned soup. Its good-for canned soup, but not good for a cruise soup unless its a freighter you are cruising on

Progreso is better. The broth wasn’t good and there was literally only macaroni noodles in it. I do like macaroni, so I ate those  I was so tired of the pasta bar, so at the one station beside it they were serving hamburgers, so I got that. The bun was huge and hard for that little patty left over from lunch. It wouldn’t fit in my mouth!  So I tried to take some of the hard top and bottom off as you can see. It didn’t work lol

42D4E398-880A-4F84-8DF5-AED3E6872B80.jpeg

Edited by avp1234
To add another picture

1 hour ago, OysterD said:

When you compare a cut of filet or ribeye vs sirloin (not top sirloin) there is not much subjectivity to it.  Most will choose the filet or ribeye.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

Just now, NMTraveller said:

When you compare a cut of filet or ribeye vs sirloin (not top sirloin) there is not much subjectivity to it.

the real question is where else are they cheapening the  cruise experience that are not being seen.

On issues like soups-restaurants are sold large plastic bags of frozen soup. Minestroni for example might have 3-4 different prices dependeng on the  quality  of whats inside and the thickness or quantity of whats inside.

Beef soup could have tender or not so tender beef.

got to understand the permutations  and yes, a bad kitchen can screw up the best custs, The army for examply had pretty good quality when I was in but everything  in the army was cooked and prepared the same. and differerent  cooks would  add too much salt or not at all .They did just enoughto avoid getting in trouble

We just had our family italian beef night and used beef tender  and there are several other cuts  that are cheaper andmany wil not know the difference on small bites as they inhale  the food. Which is hte desired effect of the purveyor if using cheaper cuts.

Honestly, I’m the first to say that food is subjective, but we’ve been on at least 15 cruises with Celebrity and I’ve never complained and always found something I can eat and it’s good. We cruised twice with them last year and no complaints at all. For people saying the cruised last year and it was wonderful, I believe you. But have you cruised over the past month?  We weren’t the only ones that noticed. There was a young couple we met and we were talking about the cruise in general, and she said she was surprised by the food because they were excited to try Celebrity. They had cruised carnival and Royal and heard it was supposed to be a step above. They won’t cruise Celebrity again. If they want to keep their current customers something will have to change. Just my opinion. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, HMR74 said:

Or, LPP should  spend the money and renovate the ships to be all suite and that solves the food problem but then they have a problem with occupancy.

Don't think this would solve the problem with food.  You are assuming they could serve thousands of guests each night with Blu or Luminae quality?  It would quickly become MDR - like.  The only way to solve the problem is to go back to the quality ingredients and portions from just a year ago.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, avp1234 said:

Honestly, I’m the first to say that food is subjective, but we’ve been on at least 15 cruises with Celebrity and I’ve never complained and always found something I can eat and it’s good. We cruised twice with them last year and no complaints at all. For people saying the cruised last year and it was wonderful, I believe you. But have you cruised over the past month?  We weren’t the only ones that noticed. There was a young couple we met and we were talking about the cruise in general, and she said she was surprised by the food because they were excited to try Celebrity. They had cruised carnival and Royal and heard it was supposed to be a step above. They won’t cruise Celebrity again. If they want to keep their current customers something will have to change. Just my opinion. 

I believe they don't want to keep their past customers. We KNOW what it should be like. Newbies will spend money on the photos and specialty dining etc, etc. They do not get discounts on anything. I think X wants to do away with those that get perks. Hey, that scoop of Gelato going out for free could be going to a paying newbie! Newbies are not going to get discounts on the drink package, WIFI, specialty dining, laundry, etc.

Even though the food is bad, the staff is still stellar But they can't make up for the missing educational programs, crafts, speakers, or events. 

Looking at their advertisements, they are looking for 40-somethings. We have 4 40 somethings in our family, I can say that they are not looking at X. They prefer something with more to do than trivia and have high expectations when it comes to food. Their kids are in their teens and may or may not cruise with them. If they do, even the teens have high expectations when it comes to food. I guess because that is what they were raised with. What can I say? I am a pretty good cook and they and DH are spoiled.

X STILL makes the best Cinnamon and Peanut Butter Ice Cream.

If you are looking for a move up from Royal, Celebrity is no longer "IT".

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Don't think this would solve the problem with food.  You are assuming they could serve thousands of guests each night with Blu or Luminae quality?  It would quickly become MDR - like.  The only way to solve the problem is to go back to the quality ingredients and portions from just a year ago.  

I was actually being a bit sarcastic -bt it is "brainstorming"

they have 1500 non suite cabins now, and if they increased the size by 50% they still have  about 2200 guests.

They would need to reimagine specialy dining where it was included.

What they need to do is also become lesws institutionalized where Luminae runs 2 week cylese of the same stuff. same for Blu-and be more ambitious in serving regional foods and thus sourcing regional . we had tasteless fruit  on a 16 day cruise in aqua and port after port had local great fresh fruit.

15 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I believe they don't want to keep their past customers. We KNOW what it should be like. Newbies will spend money on the photos and specialty dining etc, etc. They do not get discounts on anything. I think X wants to do away with those that get perks. Hey, that scoop of Gelato going out for free could be going to a paying newbie! Newbies are not going to get discounts on the drink package, WIFI, specialty dining, laundry, etc.

Even though the food is bad, the staff is still stellar But they can't make up for the missing educational programs, crafts, speakers, or events. 

Looking at their advertisements, they are looking for 40-somethings. We have 4 40 somethings in our family, I can say that they are not looking at X. They prefer something with more to do than trivia and have high expectations when it comes to food. Their kids are in their teens and may or may not cruise with them. If they do, even the teens have high expectations when it comes to food. I guess because that is what they were raised with. What can I say? I am a pretty good cook and they and DH are spoiled.

While I take the point that many are making that food has deteriorated when compared to previous experiences, (and also that food, and many other aspects of cruising are subjective), I really find it very hard to believe that X is deliberately trying to alienate its frequent cruisers. Seems like a very odd strategy.  I refuse to believe that any large corporation wants to eliminate its loyal customers as a strategy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

getting paid for gelato is not going to do it, and you pointed out the other perks that make a difference.

they need to shake up management to understand the  basic concept of keep your current customers happy- for one reason the reputaion of any business declines-I am not necessarly complaining but helping X with problem identification and solution. .But I do not think they want my help or anybodys help. They are apparently just too smart for us older folks.

when our kids  were young we took them on Royal then switched to X.

OUr kids who are 40 somethings wil not cruise on x because its not kids oriented. but they are looking forward a few yesrs when they thought  they would cruise again and x would be a target but now so would look at Regent -Seaborn, Viking and Oceania.

However, I think there is a bigger problem.The kids now, in general, are not doing as well financially as the older generation did and the middle class is shrinking. They are getting squeezed by inflation. Thats a problem, for many businesses.

The mass of kids cannot afford  expensive trips.

X may be too big to be able to do premium  strategy.

• Like 3

from a problem solving perspective, take it a different way

They introduced edge and I did not want to pay that much more for the new  edge class and I liked S class.

Then Beyond came on board and prices escalated further up . Especially on good desired itineraries, whic Edge class seems to do more of. eg, reflection this year had itineraries that were badically a shuttel between Barcelona and Rome.  with a few changes here and there.

Edge class seems to be on the hot itinerary group. greek islands eastern med.

Anyway less and less X is meeting our goals, as is cruising in general.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, avp1234 said:

Agree food subjective. We cruised last May Retreat (I know can’t compare Luminae to Blu). and last month in Aqua (sailed Aqua many times)   We were surprised to see meatloaf on the Blu menu, especially since Blu is supposed to be “healthier /cleaner” foods.   I don’t care if it was Angus beef in that meatloaf. Meatloaf is high in fat.      We noticed the portions were considerably smaller as well.   Fish was only offered a few nights unless you wanted salmon

I know this came up before but I will repeat.  In the OVC at lunch, cheese was a scarce commodity.    So, yes, we saw changes in the food for sure

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JCruise85 said:

I'll just say I find all the "X is so much worse now" comments are kind of funny because I've been reading this since we started sailing with them in 2015. 

I'm sure it is, in some ways, worse than it was when Celebrity first opened. Isn't everything? (The wonderful world of cutbacks)

But I sometimes wonder if it isn't just the change in food quality and more the change in people's expectations (or taste buds).

In several cruising with X, we've yet to have a bad time and never not come off the cruise considerably heavier. 

Interesting how everyone can see the same thing and come away with very different impressions.  I've also been following the Celebrity board for many years and quite honestly I've never seen as much outrage and posting about declining food quality.  Sure there have always been people complaining about cutbacks, but this level of disappointment I've never seen - not by a long shot. jmho

• Like 7