Norway Cruise Question

Diane Rose

Most likely not, but my memory of this may be limited today.

I would say North Cape is little more than a shore excursion event, if you dock near by and visit the spot - or somewhat scenic, as you cruise by, due to its rocky promontories and being this  geographical spot on the map of Europe. But it is just not in the same category as cruising into the glacier bays of Alaska or chances of seeing wildlife which also abound in Alaska.

However, there are options for naturalist-led shore excursions on Norway cruises - try  the hike to Pulpit Rock out of Stavanger is you want a classic, and very rugged,  outdoor Norway experience.

• Like 1

I've been there a few times, and there was scenic cruising---with narration---by North Cape after the port stop earlier in the day. 
By then the fog has usually lifted, and you can see what isn't visible earlier in the day. 

If your cruise also goes to Stavanger, as mentioned in the previous post, then there should be scenic cruising, which will also have narration. There is also usually a shore excursion offered there on a small boat, which gives an entirely different perspective. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Diane Rose said:

We will be cruising as far north as Norway’s North Cape in June.  Just wondering if HAL has a Naturalist on board like they do in Alaska.

Diane

If you go to the Ports of Call page, there are all kinds of good info on Norway, excursions etc. 

• Like 1

If you are stopping in Honningsvag, you can get to North Cape  with Blue PUffin which is highly rated.  In Stavenger Rodne offers a lovely boat visit to Pulpit Rock and other sights.  Both are very close to where the ship docks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diane Rose said:

Thanks everyone.  I know the scenery is going to be beautiful, but now wondering is there wildlife to see as well?

Diane

Not as much as Alaska, at least from the ship. I saw zero whales on my 7-day cruise. There may be excursions that are more focused on wildlife, but the best time for marine life is more towards the early late fall from what I understand. 

In the summer of 2019 aboard the Nieuw Statendam, we did have a naturalist onboard. 

I can’t remember if the narration was on the stateroom tvs (I assume so), but it definitely was on decks outside.

Earlier in the day, and even the day before, they or the captain made announcements for approximate times we would pass by various places during the sailing. Just know that some of the times won’t be exact, the time predicted may be slightly later than the actual time, or slightly earlier (as was our case a few times). So if there’s something you have your heart set on seeing, write down the approximate expected time, but be prepared that you might pass a little before or after it.

It was an absolutely fabulous cruise!!!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1