Reasonably priced whale watching tour?

Derbie

Good morning,

Can anyone advise of a company that is pretty reasonable for a whale tour?  There are 8 of us, and we trying to save a little money on port costs. We are going the last week of March, so I do realize we will not see tons of whales.  We did it the same week some years back, and we saw about 10 and a few calfs.  Any suggestions, would be very much appreciated.

46 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

What do you define as "reasonable"? The price is the price.

I suppose the question is open ended, as $200-$250 for 8 people for say....30 mins is reasonable to me, but to someone who has a larger budget $1000 is reasonable.  So. having said this; I will rephrase my question.  Will I be able to get a whale watching quick trip for $200-$250 for 4 adults/4 kids

.  So there you have it...the price is the price, I would like to find. i appreciate you replying.

We are using Cabo Trek for a 2.5 hour whale watch in a couple of days. 
$190 for 2 adults. Not sure if they have kids pricing. My guess is you will not be able to do a tour for 8 for $250 or less. I also doubt you will find a 30 min whale watch. 
Perhaps you will be able to see whales from the ship or as you approach Cabo

I agree $250 for 8 people will be hard to find, especially when cruise ships are in port. We paid around $90 per person when we docked there last week through whale watch cabo (I highly recommend). 

You may be able to negotiate with a dock vendor (there were a ton of them…some look sketch at best), but I have no idea what kind of quality experience you are going to get. 

Oh, and it takes about 30 mins to get out to the whales. 

Edited by ikirumata

5 hours ago, ISLABONITA said:

This may or not help you but I found a great offer in San Diego where our cruise departs in Groupon 

San Diego Whale Watch

Dolphin and Whale Watch Cruise for 1, 2, 4, 6, or 10 People at San Diego Whale Watch (Up to 56% Off) - Good for $46.40 towards: 3 Hour Whale Watch Cruise for 2 People

We have done this whale company quite a few years ago and they are superb! In fact, when we got back from our morning tour, we loved it so much, we purchased tickets for the afternoon tour! I’m glad we did because we got to see a blue whale with her baby! 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the recommendations.  I have seen several posts that recommend taking a ride out to the arch and back and see if you can get the captain to agree (extra cost) to look about for whales.  I will continue to search and look.  I wouldn't mind quite a lot more, if I was certain (since we are going last week of March) to see lots of whales and calfs.  thanks again

On 2/13/2023 at 1:10 PM, ikirumata said:

I agree $250 for 8 people will be hard to find, especially when cruise ships are in port. We paid around $90 per person when we docked there last week through whale watch cabo (I highly recommend). 

You may be able to negotiate with a dock vendor (there were a ton of them…some look sketch at best), but I have no idea what kind of quality experience you are going to get. 

Oh, and it takes about 30 mins to get out to the whales. 

We did CaboWhaleWatch and they were great! On the way out and when the whales were taking breaks, the guide gave us all kinds of great facts about the whales. It was around $90 per person and they were very considerate of our time and dropped us off back at the tender port (it’s a public dock, so you had to pay a couple bucks to the dock master). This allowed us to stay out watching the whales a bit longer. 

I had my camera, but they also took some fantastic photos and shared them via dropbox link. 

I attached some photos I took. The photos the tour guide took were equally as awesome! We plan on coming back and using whale watch cabo again. 

6EF451B2-2EDC-4C35-96E5-9326B7B9715E.jpeg

0EBA95FB-8D02-4F99-B520-DECC900747BF.jpeg

4CCD6051-B85B-4CE9-B5A5-FD4D61E9D6B4.jpeg

Edited by ikirumata
some files were too big
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update on our Cabo visit a few days ago.  We did get 2 hours on a very nice boat for eight people to the arch, and then whale spotting.  $4040 pesos, as we had already exchanged funds in the US ahead of time.   Approximately $240.  We did give the captain and his first mate a good tip in US funds.  Just an FYI, as most folks thought the amount was not a possibility.  We had a great time, and spotted several whales.  

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 8:21 PM, Mike45LC said:

Derbie, thanks for the report.  I am very happy for you that you found a very reasonably priced tour.  Did you just negotiate at the Marina with one of the many salesmen picked at random?  

You are very welcome!  We had been approached by quite a few people, and I thought based on the quotes we wouldn't find anyone for two hours for the amount we had.  It was almost the last man that approached us before we left.  I am not a good negotiator, but he knew we were offering all we had in Pecos,  At one point, he wanted to change the price.  I started to take the money back from him and he relented. Again, I am not aggressive, and we did tip nicely to the captain and the first mate.  It was a great two hour cruise, and it was a very nice boat.  Everyone had a great time.  Best to you in your searching for the same type of deal!

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2023 at 2:21 AM, Mike45LC said:

Derbie, thanks for the report.  I am very happy for you that you found a very reasonably priced tour.  Did you just negotiate at the Marina with one of the many salesmen picked at random?  

Sorry for the delay in my reply. We are on another cruise. We did negotiate in port. We waited until most of the people who were going were on their way. This was done by way of snacks for grandkids and a little shopping and laundry ahead of time. I think this probably gave us a little bit of an edge.  We just pick someone randomly. I hope this helps. Happy sailing and if you have any other questions, let me know.