Best Way to Have NZ$ at Airport?

JohnQ

We are flying in at 6am in the morning and wondering how to have local currency available for luggage cart Uber/taxi, etc? Is their a money exchange service at airport at reasonable rates? We will be staying in downtown area for 4 days before cruising on Saturday evening. We plan on using credit card for bigger purchases, like tours, meals.

During covid everything became contactless and will not be going back , Westpac dont do forigen cash anymore . Ride share are payed with plastic too . Maccas did not take chash in Auckland. Beer at a pub , tap and go .

1 hour ago, JohnQ said:

We are flying in at 6am in the morning and wondering how to have local currency available for luggage cart Uber/taxi, etc? Is their a money exchange service at airport at reasonable rates? We will be staying in downtown area for 4 days before cruising on Saturday evening. We plan on using credit card for bigger purchases, like tours, meals.

Hi, you definitely don't need cash for luggage trolleys, they're free, and no need to tip in NZ. As previous poster said, credit cards can be used in most places (check with taxi driver if you can use credit card, most you can). There will be a money exchange at airport, maybe not the very best rate but not extortionate either. Not sure of their operating hours though.

Thanks Jean C. We will get some cash for our days in Auckland and ports along the way. Looks like the nz$ is strong agaist the us $. When we booked, the exchange rate was showing 1.70 to 1.00, but now saw 1.42 to 1.00.

The last time I arrived home in NZ in November it took a month for me to pick up any NZ cash. Luggage carts are free - uber only works with a card anyway - both the shuttles and taxis take cards . I just don't use cash anymore. 

And yes the exchange rate has improved  a bit (from our perspective). But not that much its 1.58 to 1 according to xe.com 64c US for us - which is pretty "normal" - the rate does move around a lot 

• Like 1

We were in NZ just before Christmas, staying five nights in Auckland before cruising back to Sydney. Although we had some NZ cash with us we didn't actually use any of it until our Lyttelton port stop. Everything just went on the credit card, even food court meals.

I was on a cruise in NZ late January/early February. It is indeed true that everything imaginable can be paid with a card in NZ and Australia now, even a single cup of coffee. The one thing that we did need cash for  was buying home made garments such as wooden beanies, blankets and jumpers from the shore excursions to sheep farms. We had about $40 NZ from a previous visit to NZ, but the beanie I wanted was $50 NZ.

However, your problem would probably be what you would do if you had that sort of money left after your cruise, with no intention of visiting NZ again for many years.