In Search of Northern Lights Suggested Equipment

donaldsc

We are doing this in 2024 so I am thinking about this way in advance.  I know that it will be cold and I am prepared for it.   What I am sort of worried about is underfoot especially when we are out of the cities. We were talking to someone yesterday who did a winter Norway trip and they suggested that we bring strap on crampons and maybe trekking poles for balance.  Are they really necessary.  If we do a ship or private tour out in the country on aurora hunting trips will they be supplies or do we have to bring them ourselves.

DON

10 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

We are doing this in 2024 so I am thinking about this way in advance.  I know that it will be cold and I am prepared for it.   What I am sort of worried about is underfoot especially when we are out of the cities. We were talking to someone yesterday who did a winter Norway trip and they suggested that we bring strap on crampons and maybe trekking poles for balance.  Are they really necessary.  If we do a ship or private tour out in the country on aurora hunting trips will they be supplies or do we have to bring them ourselves.

DON

We are currently on the Northern Lights cruise that never ends, and the strap on spikes do come in handy.  One tour we were on supplied them, but others did not.  We bought 2 pair on Amazon for $11 that worked fine. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seadaze10 said:

We are currently on the Northern Lights cruise that never ends, and the strap on spikes do come in handy.  One tour we were on supplied them, but others did not.  We bought 2 pair on Amazon for $11 that worked fine. 

Agree with this. We didn't bring snow boots and did not need them. Even on the more adventurous excursions, you really won't be trudging across the tundra. Our waterproof hiking mid-high shoes worked great. The real important thing is a merino wool baselayer and Windproof/Waterproof parka and pants. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 2:54 PM, donaldsc said:

maybe trekking poles for balance

Definitely good idea depending on where you plan to go where you might wind up walking around on packed-down snow. I seem to recall we used them at Polar Park. Waterproof boots are highly recommended also.  

Edited by OnTheJourney

16 hours ago, seadaze10 said:

Our cruise was extended a couple of days due to stormy weather off the coast of Norway. My weak attempt at humor…..

Of course. I should have made the connection to the one that was delayed coming into Tilbury. We never got that far on the March 2019 sailing. Huge storm system - actually a bomb cyclone - which ended the cruise off the coast of Hustadvika. (More like WAY too close to the coast actually) 

1 hour ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Oh no. I'm getting more and more sure that I'll be spending my time lying groaning on the bed! I've got every anti seasick method already piled up and ready to pack. 😟

Actually the current cruise is having a fairly smooth sailing so far.  They deserve a break after losing two days of their trip.  Let’s hope we are as lucky.  So far I haven’t packed anything for sea sickness (maybe stupid?).  But I have a huge amount of chemical toe and hand warmers.  I’m afraid of the cold and you’re worried about the seas! 😜.  

• Like 1

It’s a really amazing cruise. I would advise taking along something for motion sickness though just as a precaution. North Atlantic can get rough on the way to Tilbury. It was our first cruise with Viking and we really enjoyed it till things went bad. Hated to leave the ship (especially by winch!). Scenery is fantastic. Extra time in Oslo is well worth it. We did Viking’s extension. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Oh no. I'm getting more and more sure that I'll be spending my time lying groaning on the bed! I've got every anti seasick method already piled up and ready to pack. 😟

I’m hoping you are able to enjoy the cruise! It sounds like you are prepared for bad weather. At least in Tromso and Alta we are doing overnights. 
This will be our 6th cruise since the pandemic, only one before that. We have never taken anything for seasickness, even on our 33 day cruise from LA to French Polynesia. However, hearing what the last Northern Lights cruisers went through, we asked our doctor for prescriptions for scopolamine patches, just in case. 
I will think positive thoughts that we have calm seas. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼 😁🤓😎

5 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Actually the current cruise is having a fairly smooth sailing so far.  They deserve a break after losing two days of their trip.  Let’s hope we are as lucky.  So far I haven’t packed anything for sea sickness (maybe stupid?).  But I have a huge amount of chemical toe and hand warmers.  I’m afraid of the cold and you’re worried about the seas! 😜.  

We have some warming packets, hopefully we won’t need them. The only evening excursion we are doing is a concert in Alta. I’m hoping daytime temperatures will be warm enough for us not to need them.

We also got a prescription for scopolamine patches. I’m really, really hoping not to need them!!! This will be our 7th cruise and we haven’t been seasick yet. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼 

I can’t believe we fly to London only 2 weeks from Sunday!!! We are doing the pre with Viking. 

I’m so excited!!!

• Like 1

We are off the Jan 31" extended stay" cruise. We had rough seas, heavy winds etc. Guest Services will provide meclazine tablets upon request. They also have a bowl full of green apples and they had candied ginger. I was shocked that neither of us experienced seasickness but my wife swears by the green apples and ginger. Others had success with ginger root tablets. Hope you have a smooth sailing.

• Like 2