Credit Card 'hold'

barriedavis

On my last cruise (Regal 15 to 29 January 2023), I had various amounts 'held' against my credit card.  It seemed that every time I went to the bar, they put another hold for relatively small amounts ($3.54, $4.37 up to $17.12 - 7 holds altogether totalling £132.64.)  When I disembarked, my account said I owed them $76.32.  Back 2 weeks and  the 7 amounts they held are now charged on the credit card.  I still have not received any refund.   I suppose it's one way to reduce the massive debt Carnival has but the onus is now on me to chase it down.  Anyone else had this?

Holds are not charges yet.

The holds are put on your account to be sure you have enough credit to cover the amounts.

No charge is actually made until the cruise is over.

The holds will drop off and the speed at which they do is is up to your bank's policy. Princess cannot do anything to make them disappear, only the bank can.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Holds are not charges yet.

The holds are put on your account to be sure you have enough credit to cover the amounts.

No charge is actually made until the cruise is over.

The holds will drop off and the speed at which they do is is up to your bank's policy. Princess cannot do anything to make them disappear, only the bank can.

I was kinda aware of that but the 7 sums appearing on my credit card are actually now charges, not holds. Having held 7 different amounts, surely technology is sufficiently advanced for Princess to work out that I didn't owe them anything but they owed me

If they are actual holds they should show on your account as pending and can take weeks to fall off. Many companies do this sometimes for just a dollar or so. On all of my cruises the holds go on every 3-4 days 

Princess always places holds in your credit card on file.  From experience they sometime show on your bank account and sometimes not.  The hoods are usually in the $60-$100 range.  Never seen small amounts. 

Edited by kiwimum

18 hours ago, barriedavis said:

On my last cruise (Regal 15 to 29 January 2023), I had various amounts 'held' against my credit card.  It seemed that every time I went to the bar, they put another hold for relatively small amounts ($3.54, $4.37 up to $17.12 - 7 holds altogether totalling £132.64.)  When I disembarked, my account said I owed them $76.32.  Back 2 weeks and  the 7 amounts they held are now charged on the credit card.  I still have not received any refund.   I suppose it's one way to reduce the massive debt Carnival has but the onus is now on me to chase it down.  Anyone else had this?

I've not ever had any of the pending pre-authorization charges turn into actual charges on my account.

They have always dropped off without affecting my credit balance, etc. 

We disembarked Feb 5, had about 6 different pending charges for varying amounts from $13 to $80 or so... All gone within the week and one accurate charge made for the balance due.

It's quite odd that you say they've become actual charges - if that's truly the case then should be easy enough to dispute them given you should have your final folio bill showing the correct amount due, or not...

I normally see pending charges show up during a cruise in varying amounts, then when the cruise ends and the final balance is determined then I will get 1 actual charge for the total owed amount and the pending charges will vanish.

if I have a negative balance with refundable obc, then there is no final charge the pending amounts have remained until they timed out. It has been as long as 30 says. But they have remained pending, not converted to actual charges.