Maya Chan vs Nohoch Kay and any safely issues

beauty1492

Which is better? Maya Chan vs Nohoch Kay. anyone been there lately?  Any safely issues lately in getting to Maya Chan? I know it is a longer road trip. 

going in April. have res at Maya Chan wondering if we should switch to closer beach at Nohoch Kay. Any advice is apricated 

• Like 1

Personally, I don't like the Mahahual. It felt really crowded to me, not relaxing, and fewer things to do in the water. Really it depends what you are looking for. If you just want to hang out, sit in a chair, drink and eat and watch the ocean with a bunch of other people around, you might be fine at Nohoch Kay (I haven't been there specifically but was at Jaime's last April and felt I overpaid for what I got with the AI plan). I booked Maya Chan for my next cruise, upcoming in April, and I'm really looking forward to it. I hear SO many good things about Maya Chan. It seems like it is more similar to what we think of as a beach club rather than just a cramped bar on the beach, which is what the Mahahual felt like to us. If we don't enjoy Maya Chan, we won't get off at this port again unless the water park reopens.

I believe NoHoch Kay has changed ownership in the post COVID era.  After Jaime sold his interest and moved to Blue Reef, the couple that had ownership were reportedly very rude and inattentaive to guests. 

Nevertheless, if Maya Chan (which is NOT that much further down) is open and available (they ae closing over the summer months) I would take them in a heartbeat over NK.

• Like 1

We went to Maya Chan in November, and we had been to Jaime's (on the "main drag" as we called it) a few years ago, and hands down we would choose Maya Chan. We loved it so much there that we have reservations for our September cruise that stops in Costa Maya. 

On 2/14/2023 at 10:36 AM, pirate4me2 said:

We went to Maya Chan in November, and we had been to Jaime's (on the "main drag" as we called it) a few years ago, and hands down we would choose Maya Chan. We loved it so much there that we have reservations for our September cruise that stops in Costa Maya. 

so you felt safe on the transportation to and from Maya chan? was it along drive?

33 minutes ago, beauty1492 said:

so you felt safe on the transportation to and from Maya chan? was it along drive?

Absolutly felt safe. We were in a taxi bus with several other passengers and our driver was nice.  The ride was about 25 minutes. 

We just went to Maya Chan in early February. We felt very safe during the ride. We had a great time at Maya Chan. We are returning to Costa Maya in August and are sad they won't be open by the time we get there. We highly recommend Maya Chan. It was a great day. The staff and services were great. The massage was terrific as well.

22 hours ago, Cya@Sea said:

We just went to Maya Chan in early February. We felt very safe during the ride. We had a great time at Maya Chan. We are returning to Costa Maya in August and are sad they won't be open by the time we get there. We highly recommend Maya Chan. It was a great day. The staff and services were great. The massage was terrific as well.

Where will you go in August, since Maya Chan will be closed then?

We haven’t been to Costa Maya since 2007 and we really hope to leave the port area, however, a crowded place to drink sounds stressful to me.  I would prefer relaxing.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2023 at 9:36 AM, pirate4me2 said:

This is a recent photo of Maya Chan, according to the person posting, with the sargassum.  We had reservations for the end of May but with this at the beach I think we've decided to cancel and either stay onboard or wonder around the port area.  Has anyone been within the last couple of weeks that can confirm this photo?  TIA

IMG_9297.jpeg

2 hours ago, texswamper said:

This is a recent photo of Maya Chan, according to the person posting, with the sargassum.  We had reservations for the end of May but with this at the beach I think we've decided to cancel and either stay onboard or wonder around the port area.  Has anyone been within the last couple of weeks that can confirm this photo?  TIA

IMG_9297.jpeg

that view doesn't look like Maya Chan to me- with that dock and the other buildings- but I will say I've been at Maya Chan when there was sargassum that looked similar (though not as far out into the water maybe?).... we were always able to use the kayaks and kind of get out past it really easily. It's not specifically a Maya Chan issue- if it's like that at Maya Chan it will be like that up and down the whole coast unfortunately.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, texswamper said:

Not sure why a Houston meteorologist (from your other thread) would post a photo of Maya Chan particularly, unless they were reporting on recent visit? The photo is not at all clear and I agree with @rjm11 - there are no distinguishing features that would confirm Maya Chan - difficult to tell from a photo taken out of context with no location or time stamp verification.

However, in May there is a high possibility of sargassum especially at Costa Maya and Mahahaul in general as stated. I have also been at Maya Chan with various levels of sargassum and although they try to clean it the smell can be overwhelming. Not sure how old your grandchildren are? There is a small pool at Maya Chan and kayaks and paddle boards. There is a large pool and an aviary at the port.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Not sure why a Houston meteorologist (from your other thread) would post a photo of Maya Chan particularly, unless they were reporting on recent visit? The photo is not at all clear and I agree with @rjm11 - there are no distinguishing features that would confirm Maya Chan - difficult to tell from a photo taken out of context with no location or time stamp verification.

However, in May there is a high possibility of sargassum especially at Costa Maya and Mahahaul in general as stated. I have also been at Maya Chan with various levels of sargassum and although they try to clean it the smell can be overwhelming. Not sure how old your grandchildren are? There is a small pool at Maya Chan and kayaks and paddle boards. There is a large pool and an aviary at the port.

Thank you for giving your experience.  The meteorologist was just talking about the sargassum issue in the Caribbean and a lady posted that photo saying it was taken at Maya Chan but you are correct, without  more detail from the owner of the photograph it's just speculation.  

On 3/27/2023 at 12:36 PM, texswamper said:

Thank you for giving your experience.  The meteorologist was just talking about the sargassum issue in the Caribbean and a lady posted that photo saying it was taken at Maya Chan but you are correct, without  more detail from the owner of the photograph it's just speculation.  

That photo was definitely not taken at Maya Chan. I have been there too many times to know the background looks nothing like it.  It is definitely possible that someone would see that amount of sargassum at Maya Chan, at least before they began raking for the day.  Unfortunately you can find similar sargassum photos in many places today.  Here are a few photos from locations near me in Palm Beach County, Florida.  It is not always like this, but it can be and the problem seems to be getting worse..palmbeachseaweed.jpg.fda863c5659d45bb9d9e99b5b1a4678c.jpgblueHeronSeaweed.jpg.c33c3521a3072385fca7691af3ab507d.jpgsargassum.jpg.fbd957255a4fbde5665ffc4e7de134bd.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 1:06 PM, pirate4me2 said:

Absolutly felt safe. We were in a taxi bus with several other passengers and our driver was nice.  The ride was about 25 minutes. 

We are booked for September, but we heard the roads were horrible getting there.  I emailed Maya Chan to ask them about that and they said they were repaving the roads.  Did you notice new roads?

1 minute ago, ciship said:

We are booked for September, but we heard the roads were horrible getting there.  I emailed Maya Chan to ask them about that and they said they were repaving the roads.  Did you notice new roads?

LOL I think it is “fixed” every year until the next rain storm!  

It has certainly been much better in recent years than originally but it depends what you are expecting. 

14 minutes ago, ciship said:

HAHAHA I did not notice new roads. They were pretty rough, but nothing horrible. The shuttle driver did his best to dodge the holes and to slow down for the "speed bumps." 

I will also be returning in September!