Roaming charges

Hottubmomma

Hi 

We have Verizon and trying to make sure we don't end up with $100 of dollars in roaming charges. When we last traveled with Norwegian we ending up with 200 in roaming charges. I know to put my phone in airplane mode or should I just keep it off? This never happens to us when we are on the River cruises in Europe.

9 minutes ago, Hottubmomma said:

Hi. We have Verizon and trying to make sure we don't end up with $100 of dollars in roaming charges. When we last traveled with Norwegian we ending up with 200 in roaming charges. I know to put my phone in airplane mode or should I just keep it off? This never happens to us when we are on the River cruises in Europe.

Always in Airplane Mode when you're on the ship. That way you don't accidentally connect to the ship's cell tower.

In Europe, there is no cell tower on the boat and you're just connecting to the local services in the country you are visiting. 

You can turn on wifi (airplane mode on / wifi on) so that you can have access to all of the features of the NCL App.  

Every time I cruise I can't remember what I am supposed to do. It's ridiculous! But OK, so again --I will need my phone and iPad to post on CC and FB, maybe. I have the internet package. So do I turn it to airplane mode and turn on WiFi as described above? Won't be texting or calling anyone. 

1 hour ago, Greenpea2 said:

Every time I cruise I can't remember what I am supposed to do. It's ridiculous! But OK, so again --I will need my phone and iPad to post on CC and FB, maybe. I have the internet package. So do I turn it to airplane mode and turn on WiFi as described above? Won't be texting or calling anyone. 

Handle anything on your cell phone while you are in terminal waiting.  Once you have entered ship, go into airplane mode and stay there while on ship!  Turn on Wi-Fi in your settings and it will find NCL.  Select it and it will indicate no internet, agree and connect.  Now you can use the NCL app to start booking dining,  entertainment,  etc.

If you have free minutes or purchased internet, you have to log in when using and out when done or you will time out your minutes!

This site is "digitalseas" which will pop-up when trying to surf.

5 minutes ago, jdc987 said:

Handle anything on your cell phone while you are in terminal waiting.  Once you have entered ship, go into airplane mode and stay there while on ship!  Turn on Wi-Fi in your settings and it will find NCL.  Select it and it will indicate no internet, agree and connect.  Now you can use the NCL app to start booking dining,  entertainment,  etc.

If you have free minutes or purchased internet, you have to log in when using and out when done or you will time out your minutes!

This site is "digitalseas" which will pop-up when trying to surf.

Thank you so much!

iOS or iPhone users should be on latest b by latest 16.3 version and to avoid hidden roaming data charge,make sure data roaming is off and that low data mode is ON, as that will restrict all those background uploads & updates to iCloud, backing up those photos & videos quietly without alerting you - but dinging your home carrier’s account on billable charges. 

EA03D9F0-D188-426D-9DC2-463651389F51.png

5BF1F5FA-EBCD-405B-91D6-717DBA224A7D.png

Android users, look under your device's settings, find the tab for Mobile networks - and see if your Data roaming is enabled or not, as additional charges may result for not disabling that setting.

Not sure how & where, stop at your ISP (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Bell Mobility or Rogers Wireless (Canada), Vodafone, Orange, Movistar, etc. etc.) and ask for help on how to check and learn your device's appropriate settings - before your next cruise.  Google, Siri and Bing for online tutorial on how to do that ... and there's probably a good # of videos on Youtube about doing these ... then, you can "dance" with your digital companion on a cruise.  

Edited by mking8288