Latest figures for Tui/Marella 👍

I note we are paying a higher daily rate than the European arm, in spite of sailing in a few of their cast-off ships.

Advertised prices for current Marella cruises are ridiculous in my opinion. Seriously looking at other options

• Like 2

5 hours ago, howmuch! said:

I note we are paying a higher daily rate than the European arm, in spite of sailing in a few of their cast-off ships.

Advertised prices for current Marella cruises are ridiculous in my opinion. Seriously looking at other options

We were on Explorer pre xmas and quite a few people were commenting on how grubby the public areas were looking, Standards are definitely dropping post covid. Trying to find clean seats in the squid and anchor was a difficult task it's probably for the best that their busy time is at night when its dark in the room.

We are looking towards other cruise lines Marella are getting complacent.

IMG_3927.thumb.jpeg.b5e273d301f2e2453b3a5c2475ad2aaa.jpeg

I wouldn't put this in my garden.

I have tried 2 different cruise lines since November 2022. MSC and P&O at much cheaper rates.

This is for March 3rd this year..the price is for both of us. My wife doesn't drink so a waste of time putting a drink's package on it. But if we did, it would be far far less than Marella could do for 7 days.

Screenshot 2023-02-11 074034.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim The Scot said:

Terry,was your cruises on other cruise lines better than your experiences with Marella?

I would say yes, as the ships were bigger and their  food outlets and choice plus a lot more quiet areas where you don't have Music or Game shows blaring away all the time.

And also no fly was a lot better with only 4 hr drive and 30 mins on boarding the ship. If we were flying it would have been 2 hrs driving plus 2 or 3 hrs in the airport plus another 2 or 3 hrs flight then another 1 hr for border force and luggage plus another 2 hrs getting on the ship so with the flight option would probably have been between 8 and 10 hrs (subjective) from leaving home to getting on the ship. I now prefer the no Flying option now, plus it's a lot cheaper IMO. 

• Like 2

Fair enough reasoning Terry

We could probably fly to Palma and be on the ship in the time it would take us to get to Southampton 😉

For us to drive to Southampton would be 8hrs + if you included stops so flying option is much preferrable with Airport only 30 mins away.No inclination to cruise on bigger ships either(for now)

Subjective as we said

• Like 2

I have two Marella back to backs booked for this year and am going to cancel as I have decided that I don't want to fly any more, just too much hassle especially on the homeward journey. I also now have a very small alcohol intake so all inclusive no longer attractive. It takes 2.5 hours to drive to Southampton or 4 hours by train.. My 2 Marella cruises will cost over £6000 so I have replaced them with 4 weeks on P&O for about £4000. I must research MSC as well

• Like 1

Bit of a Marella fan but they have priced themselves out for now(too many are just paying the higher rates)

lastyear NCL, Princess and MSC and even Fred Olsen  got our business with better value, P&O prices are good but their product is not such a good fit for us.

One of those MSC cruises we got the Yacht club for less than £100pppd which some use as the low entry price for Marella cruises.

This year we are starting with MSC no fly.

To make our fly cruises work we aim for first flight of the day so overnight near the airport ( we overnight Southampton as well).

If things go well on ship for lunch both options.

With MSC the pricing needs two things looking at

Base fare for cabin and experience (they do things differently).

Then look at the cost of the drinks package it changed by cruise seen a wide range under £10pppd to over £40.

It's a good package with non alcoholic options so at the lower price end worth it.

On 2/16/2023 at 5:24 PM, Jim The Scot said:

Fair enough reasoning Terry

We could probably fly to Palma and be on the ship in the time it would take us to get to Southampton 😉

For us to drive to Southampton would be 8hrs + if you included stops so flying option is much preferrable with Airport only 30 mins away.No inclination to cruise on bigger ships either(for now)

Subjective as we said

The regional airport options make Marella attractive with the package deal.

Flights can be used to get to other ships.

I think some think other lines only have expensive drinks packages so don't bother checking.

Have to say last year we sailed out of Southampton and even though its a 5hr+ drive and an overnite stay i have to say it was loads better than 2hrs to MCR or other airport, 2hrs to sit then nearly 3hrs flight then transfer to ship! 

BUT as we only normally have 7nts to be able to get away fly cruises get us further into the Med (usually 14nts from Stham) 

We're wine drinkers so the package works for us in that respect. 

As previously said subjective and what works for you. 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 11:07 AM, insidecabin said:

Bit of a Marella fan but they have priced themselves out for now(too many are just paying the higher rates)

lastyear NCL, Princess and MSC and even Fred Olsen  got our business with better value, P&O prices are good but their product is not such a good fit for us.

One of those MSC cruises we got the Yacht club for less than £100pppd which some use as the low entry price for Marella cruises.

This year we are starting with MSC no fly.

To make our fly cruises work we aim for first flight of the day so overnight near the airport ( we overnight Southampton as well).

If things go well on ship for lunch both options.

With MSC the pricing needs two things looking at

Base fare for cabin and experience (they do things differently).

Then look at the cost of the drinks package it changed by cruise seen a wide range under £10pppd to over £40.

It's a good package with non alcoholic options so at the lower price end worth it.

Hi inside cabin,

Just read your post and am very interested in trying another cruise line.

We have had 4 cruises which have all been with Marella. We like the fact that everything is included, e.g. tips and drinks. We have noticed that the prices have really jumped up, so would like to try another line.

Could you please advise on what line it was £10 a day pp for a drinks package and waht was included? Also, which lines include tips? I have seen some that charge 20% per drink and also 15% -20% pp per day for tips. This really does bump up the price a lot. We would prefer a fly cruise.

Any advice you can give is much appreciated. Thankyou.

Anyone advise me on this? Should have said 6 cruises as 2 were back to back in the Caribbean. Would really appreciate some advice on comparisons with other lines compared to Marella. We do like the freestyle dining. Don’t think we would like to be tied down to certain times and tables, seems very restricted, and sometimes you get hungry earlier or later 😉

We also like Marella for the freedom. We can eat meals whatever time we like and in which venue we choose, we can even choose whether we wish to eat alone or as a mixed table. Most other cruise companies don't give this freedom, we have had set dining on both P&O and Princess and this can be hit and miss especially on a 2 week cruise, we get on with most people but it can sometimes be awkward. Also Princess have high drinks prices charged in $US, they seemed to be constantly pushing extras I.e. fancy Princess glasses with liquors after dinner (very easy to get carried away and end up with a huge bill at the end of the cruise) although P&O and Princess now have drinks packages.

Marella prices have gone up but you really need to take everything into account when making comparisons .  Especially flights, we like to fly and be in the Med straight away whereas sailing from Southampton limits hiw far the ships can travel in a given time. We also feel that Marella have great itineraries which suits us.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Hookedoncruising! said:

Hi inside cabin,

Just read your post and am very interested in trying another cruise line.

We have had 4 cruises which have all been with Marella. We like the fact that everything is included, e.g. tips and drinks. We have noticed that the prices have really jumped up, so would like to try another line.

Could you please advise on what line it was £10 a day pp for a drinks package and waht was included? Also, which lines include tips? I have seen some that charge 20% per drink and also 15% -20% pp per day for tips. This really does bump up the price a lot. We would prefer a fly cruise.

Any advice you can give is much appreciated. Thankyou.

Some MSC cruise the drinks package is £10 some it's £40 you have to check the drinks included price for each cruise.

For UK bookings it is nearly always the premium package better that the Marella premium one.

Eg.June on MSC Norway and Iceland from Southampton

Base cruise fare is £977 14 nights drinks package is £220 £13pppn.

If you want fly look at where you can get to with flying and see what cruises are available

It needs the work putting in to understand how other lines structure their fares and costings.

Princess is pretty easy base price + princess plus option at £50pppd to get a close equivalent to the Marella offering(tips drinks included)

Then adjust for any promotions they have current is a better package at the plus price.

Some lines are offering cheap/free flights.

Many companies have flexible dining Princess, NCL are two we use. MSC is still fixed unless you get a higher grade cabin.

Flights to the Med can be very reasonable or use a TA that packages.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 7:51 PM, dronnygirl said:

We also like Marella for the freedom. We can eat meals whatever time we like and in which venue we choose, we can even choose whether we wish to eat alone or as a mixed table. Most other cruise companies don't give this freedom, we have had set dining on both P&O and Princess and this can be hit and miss especially on a 2 week cruise, we get on with most people but it can sometimes be awkward. Also Princess have high drinks prices charged in $US, they seemed to be constantly pushing extras I.e. fancy Princess glasses with liquors after dinner (very easy to get carried away and end up with a huge bill at the end of the cruise) although P&O and Princess now have drinks packages.

Marella prices have gone up but you really need to take everything into account when making comparisons .  Especially flights, we like to fly and be in the Med straight away whereas sailing from Southampton limits hiw far the ships can travel in a given time. We also feel that Marella have great itineraries which suits us.

P&O offer Freedom dining on all their ships. On the two newest ships (Iona & Arvia) it is all Freedom dining, no set time on offer.