Is The Retreat on Edge worth it?

Kaijra

Me and my husband are planning a cruise in Europe this july, and want to book a Sky Suite on Celebrity Edge. We love the idea of that extra service, fodd in Luminae and the sun deck.

However, I have read several bad reviews considering food and service, including for suite guests. 

Are the condictions really that bad on Edge after Covid, or have the people writing the bad reviews just been unlucky? Is bad food and service just to be expected when the ship is crowded (as it will be in july)? 

Years ago I was told a joke about the fans of one of my favorite sports teams: Q: "How many of the team's fans does it take to change a lightbulb? A: 50, one to change the bulb and 49 others to talk about how great the old one was!"

I am reminded of this joke often when reading reviews/comments on the board. Where things different (and probably better) on the cruises 2,3,5, or 10 years ago, sure. I also have to admit our last cruise was in March 2022, so I cannot personally address some of the recent issues. 

However, our experience with a Sky Suite on the Edge in March of 2022 was fantastic, mostly for the reasons you have already referenced:  food, service and the Retreat. The quiet of the Retreat area was wonderful. If we wanted to be part of the action at the main pool we still could, but we always had the Retreat when we wanted it a bit more mellow. We enjoyed many meals in Luminae, especially having waitstaff who become familiar with your preferences. 

Add in the extra space in the room with a balcony, amazing Butler and room attendant, the suite's location and the streamlined check-in process and we were extremely satisfied. 

Depending on your itinerary, this is one other nice perk: priority tendering.

Best wishes to you for a wonderful cruise!!

We are booked on Edge in April out of FLL. Was on Infinity last October, Apex last April and Milie on 2019. We have only booked suites and have had very good experiences on all, the only downside on Apex was the change in Butlers as we had three during the cruise due to COVID still going through the crew and customers so that was not the ship's fault. We have never had a bad Celebrity experience, or RC for that matter having cruised more with that line except for just getting off of Allure in an owners Suite as we wanted to try a "mega" ship and while the ship was beautiful with great crew/service and a lot of venues it was too big and to many families with some unruly children to include children in the Suite Lounge that the parents just let have run of the place (like their own daycare) and the staff did not speak to them about it. 

Bottom line, we have loved Celebrity, so far, hope we have the same experience on Edge and we have a number of upcoming Celebrity cruises including Reflection to Europe/TA this October. Look forward toto your review if you choose to do one. 

For us, absolutely yes! We have sailed in a Sky Suite on Apex and Royal Suite on Edge, and our experience in The Retreat on both ships was fantastic. We would likely not spend the extra money for anything beyond a Sky Suite in the future, as the Royal Suite was a splurge for a special occasion.

Last November, we returned to Apex and sailed in Aqua Class. While we loved Blu, we missed the quiet and extra TLC we had received in The Retreat. Just booked an Aqua Sky Suite on Beyond and expect that will be the best of both worlds!

2 hours ago, Kaijra said:

Me and my husband are planning a cruise in Europe this july, and want to book a Sky Suite on Celebrity Edge. We love the idea of that extra service, fodd in Luminae and the sun deck.

However, I have read several bad reviews considering food and service, including for suite guests. 

Are the condictions really that bad on Edge after Covid, or have the people writing the bad reviews just been unlucky? Is bad food and service just to be expected when the ship is crowded (as it will be in july)? 

Most negative comments recently on food and service have not really been directed at Luminae and The Retreat.  You should enjoy it!

We were in a CS last April on the Edge.  It was fantastic. Great crew, great service, good food (though spotty wine service).  We ate at some of the specialty restaurants, but I didn't feel they were any better than Luminae.  The Retreat lounge and sun deck are very nice--I happen to love the huge floor-to-ceiling windows.  I found it very relaxing to just sit in the lounge with a glass of wine right next to those windows.

I will say, though, that the ship was only 50% full when we sailed her, so things may be different with 3,000 passengers vs 1,500.