Japan cruises

phil1107

We very much want to do a 2 week cruise around Japan next year.

Currently debating between Viking and Silversea. Superficially the itineraries are similar but Viking is C$3000 cheaper. RCSS looks too expensive.

Any thoughts?

36 minutes ago, phil1107 said:

Just checked the Viking website again. They only do this itinerary twice a year. Our preference - April- is already sold out.

So now the choice is September 2024 or 2025 or Silversea!

If you’re interested in April 2024 it’s part of a much longer cruise and final payment is coming due for a lot of those folks. You might want to keep checking. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phil1107 said:

That’s a very smart observation.

Further to @millybess's excellent advice, the Far Eastern Horizons trip is the Hong Kong to Tokyo subset of the Grand Pacific Explorer, which travels from Auckland to Vancouver, departing in February. That means for GPE pax with a full payment date 12 months out, they are about to have to commit.

The GPE has numerous subsets, which depart later in February and in March, any one of which might provide access to the Far Eastern Horizons cruise via cancellation. Suffice to say that there will be cabins opening up throughout Feb, March and early April  - and again in September, October and November for pax with 6 month PIF dates.

So, if you are interested, keep an ongoing watch, or if using a TA, have them do so. Good luck! 🍺🥌

• Like 2

I realize that Princess is not at the Viking level but they have released some longer cruises.  I just booked an 18 day cruise on the Princess Diamond,  The all inclusive cost was only $4100 w only 4 sea days.  We were looking at one of the Viking cruises but they were sold out.

DON

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 1:54 PM, phil1107 said:

Just checked the Viking website again. They only do this itinerary twice a year. Our preference - April- is already sold out.

I noticed this morning that rooms are starting to become available.  

On 2/16/2023 at 1:54 PM, phil1107 said:

There were 4 available this morning. It’s now sold out again. 

I wish Viking offered an itinerary that both started and ended in Japan.  

I have enjoyed Hong Kong in the past, but...

- I would prefer more time in Japan vs more time in HK

- HK as a starting point gives me a tiny hesitation about itinerary risk, with the US becoming increasingly at odds with China.   

4 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

HK as a starting point gives me a tiny hesitation about itinerary risk, with the US becoming increasingly at odds with China. 

I agree! An all Japan cruise would be great, with a couple of overnights and/or a few more ports of call.

• Like 3

We've never been to Hong Kong.  The Far East & Alaska cruise offers 1 night in HK.  We will probably travel there a couple of days earlier to get acclimated.

However, I think there are a lot of stops in Japan:

Nagasaki

Kagoshima

Beppu

Hiroshima overnighr

Osaka

Shimizu overnight

Tokyo 2 overnights

Sapporo overnight

15 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I agree! 

It's the kind of thing I don't want to think about or acknowledge could actually be a reality. 

It would create yet another 'black swan' type of event.  I've already experienced 5 "once every 100 year"  / "rare" / once every 20 year / events in the past 2 years. 

If HK were just one port an itinerary,  not a big deal.  Skip the port. 

But since HK is a starting / ending point, that means canceled flights and lots more time and aggravation on each person should the unlikely (?) event occur.

I traveled to HK for work in March 2019.  Listening to the HK cab drivers rant about about their political feelings and cultural feelings related to mainland china, the govt and the people, was an eye-opening and memorable travel experience.   It did not surprise me when the riots broke out several months after I left. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 7:44 PM, donaldsc said:

I realize that Princess is not at the Viking level but they have released some longer cruises.  I just booked an 18 day cruise on the Princess Diamond,  The all inclusive cost was only $4100 w only 4 sea days.  We were looking at one of the Viking cruises but they were sold out.

DON

Wow, they do have some nice long cruises in Japan, thanks for the tip.