OVC Valentine's Day on silhouette - shocking!

newtocruiseinblue

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

I’m really upset the way Celebrity is lowering their standards.  I’ve canceled both cruises for this year until things improve.  /s

Me too. Just cancelled 3 this week following a terrible cruise on Silhouette.

Cakes , nice to look at....but, sponge, sponge , sponge.....with colouring...even the "cherry pie" was sponge.

Anyone recall the small fruit pastries, the eclairs, the tower of profiteroles....oh, and the magnificent pie day?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, govanguy said:

Cakes , nice to look at....but, sponge, sponge , sponge.....with colouring...even the "cherry pie" was sponge.

Anyone recall the small fruit pastries, the eclairs, the tower of profiteroles....oh, and the magnificent pie day?

I was joking maybe.  I’ve done final payment on two cruises already.  Based on these two I may decide on no more Celebrity cruises.  Partner doesn’t want Viking again.  People are too old.  (No joke).  Not sure what else we will do.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I was joking maybe.  I’ve done final payment on two cruises already.  Based on these two I may decide on no more Celebrity cruises.  Partner doesn’t want Viking again.  People are too old.  (No joke).  Not sure what else we will do.

Check out Vigin to see if it's a fit for you two. On the topic, I thought all the deserts I had were fine on EQ a couple of weeks ago.  I asked a bunch of women why they were just standing there, they were waiting for some 'special' kind of cake to come out.  Not sure what the deal was with that and did stick around to see the 'cake'. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

Check out Vigin to see if it's a fit for you two. On the topic, I thought all the deserts I had were fine on EQ a couple of weeks ago.  I asked a bunch of women why they were just standing there, they were waiting for some 'special' kind of cake to come out.  Not sure what the deal was with that and did stick around to see the 'cake'. 

My partner is likely to complain that the crowd on Virgin is too young.  I just can’t win.  😭

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

What about Oceania?  We switched over to O.  Had our first cruise a year ago( Feb 22) on O.  We were super impressed.  It didn't hurt that the there were only 338 guests on board.  It felt like we were on a private yacht.  We booked our next O cruise for September.  We did book another Celebrity cruise for Feb 2024 because it had the itinerary we wanted( Great Barrier Reef) and was relatively in expensive for AQ.  Now, if only I can find a reasonably priced flight. 

2 minutes ago, calicakes said:

What about Oceania?  We switched over to O.  Had our first cruise a year ago( Feb 22) on O.  We were super impressed.  It didn't hurt that the there were only 338 guests on board.  It felt like we were on a private yacht.  We booked our next O cruise for September.  We did book another Celebrity cruise for Feb 2024 because it had the itinerary we wanted( Great Barrier Reef) and was relatively in expensive for AQ.  Now, if only I can find a reasonably priced flight. 

Yes that might be a good option.

7 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Don't let the negativity drive you away. Why not go on your trip and decide for yourself? 

Here is a post from another thread: 

BBF76E7F-EC15-4361-9180-232A7D1A8BBB.thumb.jpeg.baeb7d29bcc6f3cf002241a1ca121d64.jpeg

Well put! Each person must experience and determine for themselves. Perception is reality but each person's perception is a just little different.... I read all the comments about changes and had myself worked up prior to my 10nt on Edge last month. But... I kept and open mind and went to experience things myself. This was my 4th Celebrity cruise and 1st on Edge but other than cabin noise from elephants or acrobats above us that no one could control, everything was wonderful! I am a bit of a foodie and am all about good wine. Food and wine offered were high quality with a great selection to choose from, service for the most part was exceptional, and the ship was well kept with mostly friendly staff. I have sailed many lines including Holland America whom until recently, I thought was a step above Celebrity in terms of service and food. After this last Edge cruise, I am ready to sail Celebrity again and already have booked another 10nt on Silhouette.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, govanguy said:

How about the cream filled pastry swans. A lot of work went into them and they didn't taste too bad either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

Pretty on the outside, tasteless on the inside.  For anyone who enjoys those gelatinized cakes in the OV cafe, I say you've never had a real gourmet dessert. 

Well, my grandfather was a baker from Italy and owned an Italian bakery. I grew up visiting and helping him in his craft. He was not a baker, but an artist. I appreciate every baker's work in their craft. I've enjoyed gourmet desserts and I've enjoyed desserts made by myself in my kitchen at midnight (sshhhhhh)! The entire point of this post is to ENJOY!!!! LIFE!!!! And we should stop holding ourselves back from worldwide adventures bc someone may not like a cake in the OVC. I'm sorry but when I'm plowing my way through Italy, France, Greece, Turkey, Scotland - my last concern is the food in OVC but things seem to be alright!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fivelinks said:

Well put! Each person must experience and determine for themselves. Perception is reality but each person's perception is a just little different.... I read all the comments about changes and had myself worked up prior to my 10nt on Edge last month. But... I kept and open mind and went to experience things myself. This was my 4th Celebrity cruise and 1st on Edge but other than cabin noise from elephants or acrobats above us that no one could control, everything was wonderful! I am a bit of a foodie and am all about good wine. Food and wine offered were high quality with a great selection to choose from, service for the most part was exceptional, and the ship was well kept with mostly friendly staff. I have sailed many lines including Holland America whom until recently, I thought was a step above Celebrity in terms of service and food. After this last Edge cruise, I am ready to sail Celebrity again and already have booked another 10nt on Silhouette.

Exactly what I mean! For every negative review there is a positive one, but people love a scandal, a whisper, they love to see people and companies fall from grace!! I did not want to say it is human nature. Maybe I am in denial? But, instead of piling on the negative - let's highlight the other majority of us that liked our Celebrity adventures! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Exactly what I mean! For every negative review there is a positive one, but people love a scandal, a whisper, they love to see people and companies fall from grace!! I did not want to say it is human nature. Maybe I am in denial? But, instead of piling on the negative - let's highlight the other majority of us that liked our Celebrity adventures! 

All kidding aside?  Celebrity is a nice in between.  Not too expensive.  Not cheap.  Not the best food but not the worst.  Not too young.  Not too old.  

Is it bad to say that?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, calicakes said:

I totally agree; airfare is out of sight down under, even from the west coast!  We are only flying one-way next year to Sydney, b2b/TP  for 2024, but want to go biz class.  Maybe I will have to cancel a cruise for this year to pay for my flights...🥲

I haven’t tried “O” yet, but certainly am interested in O and V.

Edited by Lastdance

4 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

And wine, you forgot the wine. Cheers! 

ps he also mentioned turkey carved off the bird, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc. etc.

I so hope that they brought back the carved turkey. We make a sandwich and it’s the day after Thanksgiving! I think a lot of people complained because when I asked the carver he would reply Ask the chef. Didn’t even attempt an explanation.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I totally agree; airfare is out of sight down under, even from the west coast!  We are only flying one-way next year to Sydney, b2b/TP  for 2024, but want to go biz class.  Maybe I will have to cancel a cruise for this year to pay for my flights...🥲

I haven’t tried “O” yet, but certainly am interested in O and V.

I looked at flights for Jan 2024. Business class is 10k.one way

I have had some fine deserts in the OVC on the Eclipse and the Silhouette. Just next to the ice cream station they served proper English puddings, often with custard. Puddings like fruit crumbles, steamed puddings, cobblers, rice puddings. They even served Spotted Dick, although they gave it another misleading title.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I looked at flights for Jan 2024. Business class is 10k.one way

Scary pricing for sure!  We went to NZ years ago and paid for coach; they moved us to business, but it was just a larger reclining seat; however, we were very lucky!

Edited by Lastdance

On 2/16/2023 at 3:09 PM, zitsky said:

I’m really upset the way Celebrity is lowering their standards.  I’ve canceled both cruises for this year until things improve.  /s

We’ve been on 20+ cruises since the restart and while, yes, it’s not exactly the same as pre.Covid, we’ve enjoyed every one.  That’s us though and if you require everything to be the same, you were right to cancel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kellyclayt said:

We’ve been on 20+ cruises since the restart and while, yes, it’s not exactly the same as pre.Covid, we’ve enjoyed every one.  That’s us though and if you require everything to be the same, you were right to cancel.

Wow!  That is awesome and you are so lucky to be able to go on so many adventures! 

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Wow, thanks for sharing...Seems too good to be true that they're going back to ALL stations open for dinner

True! And the poster did note that they can only report on what was happening on that particular ship (with pictures). Maybe Celebrity is listening!!