Wanting Something Different To Do in Naples

wolfpackmom

Hello Everyone - I am looking to find a way to spend my day in Naples that doesn't include visiting a ruin (love them, but I've been to so many). I was going to visit the archaeological museum and the one with the sculpture of the veiled Christ, but both museums are closed on Tuesdays, which happens to be the day of the week our cruise gets in. I don't want to get on a tour bus and go anywhere. Can you please suggest something to do that is fun and keeps me in a safe part of town. 

How about the Certosa di San Martino, the museum up on the hill that overlooks the port?

It's an easy walk to the funicolare centrale, which takes you up the hill.  From there it's a little over a half mile on foot.  Its closing day is Wednesday.

It's an eclectic collection, I especially like the amazing precipe (the nativity scenes Naples is famous for).

More info:  Certosa e Museo di San Martino | Naples, Italy | Attractions - Lonely Planet

This won't take all day, however.  Another popular place to visit in Naples is one of the underground tours:  Home - Napoli Sotterranea

There is also one of my favorite places in Naples, the cloisters at Santa Chiara, an oasis of calm in the middle of the city:  English - Chiostro di Santa Chiara (monasterodisantachiara.it)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't have any restaurant recommendations that overlook the water, though I'm sure others will.  

One of my favorites in Naples is Locanda N'Tretella, located about two-tenths of a mile from the funicolare centrale station:  

TRATTORIA NTRETELLA - 20 Photos & 14 Reviews - Salita Sant'Anna di Palazzo 25, Napoli, Italy - Yelp

• Like 1

I completely agree with euro cruiser. We still talk about the underground tour we did in Naples and consider it one of the best and inexpensive tours we have ever done. However it is not suitable if you are claustrophobic as some of the tunnels are quite narrow.

Last year we went to Certosa di San Martino and enjoyed the beautiful church, cloister, museum and great views as well as the funicular ride to get there. You could combine this with a visit to Castel Sant'Elmo which is next door to the museum.

IMG_20230218_111810.jpg.e4d97969019f0fc4b57194f269478e64.jpg

There are also many lovely churches in Naples if you like churches. Besides the Cathedral there is Chiesa del Gesu Nuovo and Basilica di San Francisco di Paolo to name just a couple.

There is also Palazzo Reale, the royal palace and Castel Nuovo right next to the port, that you can visit.

There are lots of great options to see and do as well as great pizza in Naples.

In my review of my Celebrity cruise last year, in posts #116 to #120 on page 5 is my visit to Naples.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2865871-the-adriatic-and-italy-on-celebrity-reflection-june-3-2022/#comments

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, wolfpackmom said:

Hello Everyone - I am looking to find a way to spend my day in Naples that doesn't include visiting a ruin (love them, but I've been to so many). I was going to visit the archaeological museum and the one with the sculpture of the veiled Christ, but both museums are closed on Tuesdays, which happens to be the day of the week our cruise gets in. I don't want to get on a tour bus and go anywhere. Can you please suggest something to do that is fun and keeps me in a safe part of town. 

Get a pizza. Naples has many very interesting and fun places. Try this one Pizzeria Laezza. Sit outside and enjoy the neighborhood with your pizza and wine. Close to the pier- walkable 

• Like 1

the Santa Chiara Monastery. for the fabulously tiled cloisters.  (More intersting than you might initially think-.see online images and reviews)

The viewpoint with spectacular city views in front of  Castel Sant Elmo.  Different ways to reach it, but the funicular is something different to try.

Christmas Street, actual name  San Gregorio Armeno. is good for a wander as are some of the neighbouring streets..  Again read about it online.

Eat pizza.  Spoiled for choice and Naples is the #1 for pizza. Can't go wrong.

We reached all of these on foot from the port apart from the viewpoint as we rode the funicular both ways.

We also printed off a self guided walking tour of Naples Old Town last time we were there and followed that. Went in to the centre from opposite the port. A loosely circular walk  It ran east from near the cloisters above and followed a not-quite-straight line towards Christmas St.  We found several sites/sights of interest along the way that we had not previously seen (ncluding the area in and around the Chiesa de Jesu Nuovo  which does not at all resemble any other church building)and at the end we simply went down a side street to  the main road and followed that back to the port.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We did a food tour in Naples, which was brilliant as its walking tour which navigates the streets eating and history as you go with a local expert. Found them on trip advisor , we walked from the ship to the meeting point as the Ship docks in the middle of Naples. do not eat before you do it , we thought we were going to have little tasters , it is a substantial feast as you have lots of stops. it also goes up and down the famous shop streets such a Christmas street . 

The company we used was Raphael tours. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 5:40 AM, CruisingDaff said:

We did a food tour in Naples, which was brilliant as its walking tour which navigates the streets eating and history as you go with a local expert. Found them on trip advisor , we walked from the ship to the meeting point as the Ship docks in the middle of Naples. do not eat before you do it , we thought we were going to have little tasters , it is a substantial feast as you have lots of stops. it also goes up and down the famous shop streets such a Christmas street . 

I am looking at booking that food tour. How long of a walk was it to find the beginning of the tour? How long did it take to get there?  THANKS!

6 hours ago, JillEBean10 said:

I am looking at booking that food tour. How long of a walk was it to find the beginning of the tour? How long did it take to get there?  THANKS!

We once booked with Food Tours of Naples (they have changed the tour a bit skipping the lunch in a restaurant - here´s my review). The tour us now called "Naples Street Food Tour". The starting point is still Piazza Bellini - an easy walk from port. The tour was a lot of fun for us and we discovered food we wouldn´t have tried. And we know Naples pretty well.

steamboats

On 3/6/2023 at 12:45 AM, JillEBean10 said:

Hi yes its the tour as the above steamboats.

It was 2 hrs long , took about 30 mins from ship to get to start point , when we arrived there were others from the ship, 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionProductReview-g187785-d11988647-Naples_Street_Food_Tour_With_Local_Expert-Naples_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

the group is small too unlike some of the ships excursions we past.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:40 PM, Vineyard View said:

Jump on a ferry and go to Capri for the day. We enjoyed that from Naples after a couple previous stops there. Very easy and a wonderful alternative. 

This was our BEST day on our cruise. Beautiful, wonderful meal there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2023 at 8:48 PM, euro cruiser said:

How about the Certosa di San Martino, the museum up on the hill that overlooks the port?

It's an easy walk to the funicolare centrale, which takes you up the hill.  From there it's a little over a half mile on foot.  Its closing day is Wednesday.

Hello euro cruiser, how long does it take to walk to the funicular centrale from the port. Is it easy to find by foot? Thanks for your advice 

It's one kilometer/a little over a half mile on foot from the cruise port to the base of Funicolare Centrale.  The stop is called Augusteo and it's located in Piazzetta Duca d'Aosta, just off Via Toledo.  You can make a google map of the route.

You take the funicolare to the top, the third stop, called Piazza Fuga.  Come out of the station and turn right, then right again onto Via Domenico Cimarosa.  Turn left at the first corner onto Via Morghen, look for brown and white signs like this:

image.png.46f52ad6171730c456c5542daed6ef5a.png

You'll pass a big Carrefour supermercato, shortly after this you'll come to a big staircase where you'll again see the brown and white signs.  Fortunately, just to the right of the staircase is a free escalator.  At the top of the escalator you'll walk across a small piazza, cross the street and take another escalator to the top of the next staircase.  Cross the street and turn left, passing by the top of the Morghen funicolare, you'll soon see the brown and white signs directing you to turn right and walk down an alley that brings you out to the intersection of Via Maestro Colantonio and Via Eduardo Dalbono.   Continue straight/slightly left onto Via Dalbono, at the end of the street turn right onto Via Tito Angelini.  Follow this, it dead ends at the Certosa.

Don't use google maps for this route, it doesn't seem to know about the hills and how to avoid them with the escaltor.  If you follow their route you'll be exhausted when you get there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

It's one kilometer/a little over a half mile on foot from the cruise port to the base of Funicolare Centrale.  The stop is called Augusteo and it's located in Piazzetta Duca d'Aosta, just off Via Toledo.  You can make a google map of the route.

You take the funicolare to the top, the third stop, called Piazza Fuga.  Come out of the station and turn right, then right again onto Via Domenico Cimarosa.  Turn left at the first corner onto Via Morghen, look for brown and white signs like this:

image.png.46f52ad6171730c456c5542daed6ef5a.png

You'll pass a big Carrefour supermercato, shortly after this you'll come to a big staircase where you'll again see the brown and white signs.  Fortunately, just to the right of the staircase is a free escalator.  At the top of the escalator you'll walk across a small piazza, cross the street and take another escalator to the top of the next staircase.  Cross the street and turn left, passing by the top of the Morghen funicolare, you'll soon see the brown and white signs directing you to turn right and walk down an alley that brings you out to the intersection of Via Maestro Colantonio and Via Eduardo Dalbono.   Continue straight/slightly left onto Via Dalbono, at the end of the street turn right onto Via Tito Angelini.  Follow this, it dead ends at the Certosa.

Don't use google maps for this route, it doesn't seem to know about the hills and how to avoid them with the escaltor.  If you follow their route you'll be exhausted when you get there.

@euro cruiser Thank you for the detailed instructions.  This is part of my plan for Naples on my May 9th visit on the Explorer of the Seas.  I have printed this out to carry with me.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2023 at 10:40 AM, CruisingDaff said:

Thanks for the tip, perfect for us, we've now booked it for September.