Housekeeping moving to once a day?

Donsyb

We just got off a Carnival cruise with our first once a day service.  I thought I would miss turndown, but nope no problem.  We are in a JS on Wonder in two weeks.  Don't know if that qualifies for twice a day or not, but don't really know if it is required.  I still like the paper copy of the activities.  We've received that in our GS suites for the last few cruises.  Don't know if that is still available.  It's a brave new world!  Although, if I had the sofa made into a bed for the entirety of the cruise, that would be a big problem for me.  We only have two people so not a big deal.  I would have to learn how to make up the bed so that I could have the sofa during the day.  

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

Evening service is minimal.  We just want the bathroom tidied up and clean towels, especially after coming back from an excursion.   In most cases the bed is already made.  It doesn't take that long to do that and refresh the ice and remove dirty dishes.  

Those who want once-a-day service, pat yourself on the back.  If I don't get twice-a-day service, I'll be down to guest services every day.  

Unless you are on a suite, you (and every other passenger not in a suite) will have once-a-day service. Not sure what guest can do. 

m

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If I have a choice for when to have my once a day service it would be nighttime.  I like to have fresh towels, wash rags, after showering and get my paper copy of the cruise compass.   

Forgot all about the Cruise Compass. We prefer the paper copy also. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

The money they get from the cruise line is peanuts compared to what they get from tips.

The money savings comes from room and board, healthcare, and paying to get them to and from the ship in regards to the country they’re from.

They get paid for one of the flights, not both. Confirmed with many workers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree. We like our bed made and fresh towels and ice twice a day. Other than that the cabin attendant doesn't have anything else to do in our cabin. 

I definitely want "morning service", which would include the bed made, trash emptied, any dishes removed, and the bathroom freshened.

Evening can be more of a "refresh", but it's absolutely necessary.  I don't really care if the bed is turned down, but I want the trash emptied again and any dishes removed.  And a paper Compass left on the bed.  

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I think sometimes people are more upset at the concept of change than what the change actually entails.

Agree, but this is really a reduction in service.  

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Seriously, you have clean towels twice a day at home? If not, then there is no need for it on holiday. 

At home I have a larger bathroom, and my towels are stretched out over a large bar where they can actually dry.  

And we're not talking JUST about towels.  

51 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Don't need turndown service.  Just need bathroom refreshed, clean towels, ice, and dirty dishes removed.  I'm not a fan of placing them outside the door because they tend to sit there for hours.  

No one is a fan of dishes outside the door.  Or left in the cabin.  That's one reason we need the evening service.  

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Forgot all about the Cruise Compass. We prefer the paper copy also. 

I definitely want a paper Compass.  Always. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Unless you are on a suite, you (and every other passenger not in a suite) will have once-a-day service. Not sure what guest can do. 

m

We can complain and complain and complain.  Maybe they will get the message.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We have NEVER reduced our tips.  Even on those cruises when we have never eaten in the MDR or WJ with the UDP.  It won’t stop us from cruising but we may start giving out tips the old way, based on service.  

I’ll be asking to store extra towels in my room.  Breakfast dishes will have to go to the hall as we will be night service people and I won’t leave them sitting in the room all day.  They are in the way for one thing.  ( BTW I hate seeing dishes in the hall.  Maybe they will need someone to constantly roam to pick them up if they decrease service? Last cruise they sat in the hall until the stewards came to clean, sometimes all day. We left ours in the room.)

Do I need fresh towels twice a day?  No.  But I’m not at home and desire a bit more upgraded experience for my money while on vacation.  We are very tidy so there’s no picking up to do but I know some people make a lot of work for their stewards.  

If the problem is really not enough staff I understand.  But know it will never come back to twice a day as people will accept it as the way it is and it will save the cruise line money.

Though really not supposed put dishes in the hall. Myself, only had once day Cabin service last 5+ yrs anyway. 

4 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We have NEVER reduced our tips.  Even on those cruises when we have never eaten in the MDR or WJ with the UDP.  It won’t stop us from cruising but we may start giving out tips the old way, based on service.  

I’ll be asking to store extra towels in my room.  Breakfast dishes will have to go to the hall as we will be night service people and I won’t leave them sitting in the room all day.  They are in the way for one thing.  ( BTW I hate seeing dishes in the hall.  Maybe they will need someone to constantly roam to pick them up if they decrease service? Last cruise they sat in the hall until the stewards came to clean, sometimes all day. We left ours in the room.)

Do I need fresh towels twice a day?  No.  But I’m not at home and desire a bit more upgraded experience for my money while on vacation.  We are very tidy so there’s no picking up to do but I know some people make a lot of work for their stewards.  

If the problem is really not enough staff I understand.  But know it will never come back to twice a day as people will accept it as the way it is and it will save the cruise line money.

Take your dishes back to Windjammer when you go to eat. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Though really not supposed put dishes in the hall. Myself, only had once day Cabin service last 5+ yrs anyway. 

I've never had once a day cabin service in the past 20+ years.  If that's your cruising standard, then, good for you.

• Like 1

We will decide on a time for the cabin attendent to come and ask for as many towels as we want until the next time he/she comes. I like to have ice and I wonder if I can take the ice bucket to a bar to get it filled since it will only be filled once. 

The cruise line just increased the time amounts, and in the case of the cabin attendent, cut the work in half for our cabin. I don't think we will tip more at the end of the cruise. I don't like less service, but other than state this on the review, there is nothing we can do. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KansasK said:

We will decide on a time for the cabin attendent to come and ask for as many towels as we want until the next time he/she ..

Has anyone said that you can pick a time for service? The way the new system was explained to us was that they get to your cabin when they get there. No more use of magnets to ask to have cabin made up.

3 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Has anyone said that you can pick a time for service? The way the new system was explained to us was that they get to your cabin when they get there. No more use of magnets to ask to have cabin made up.

I may be wrong about this, but I thought we got to pick either morning or evening for the length of the cruise.   I never intended to imply that I thought I could pick it by day, although I would like the magnet idea, if I lived in a different world.