Housekeeping moving to once a day?

Donsyb

28 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Through several posts and videos and backed up with simple math. A steward on rcl makes about 3500 a month.  Do you think he makes $4 or 5k per month.  Obviously not. So if you take thier salary of 1360 and deduct from 3500 = 2140 or $535 a week i. Tips.  Divide that by 7 days = 76 a day divide that by 25 cabins = about $3 a cabin by 2 people per cabin + = $1.50 a day. Which is 30% of the 5 they get.  But i have read on multiple sources is 25%.

So they're doing 25 cabins now and are getting bumped up to 30? 

And, you keep bringing in the $5 for housekeeping.  Multiple people have posted the sheets that $3.55 (out of the $14.50) goes to housekeeping.  So, if they're getting $1.50pppd, that would be 10%. 

However... if you take 25% of the $14.50 (old per person per day total), that's $3.62... awfully darn close to the $3.55.  In fact, $3.55 (based on the sheets posted) is 24.4%.  Are you sure THAT'S not the "25%" you've read on multiple sources? 

And, where do you get the $3500 from?  Are you sure that includes tips?  $3500/month * 10 month contract would be $35,000.  Even with room and board included, that seems REALLY low to me, especially if you're including tips.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kbonner said:

Well my decision is: when not in a suite with continued twice daily cabin service, I will opt out of automatic gratuity and pay (in a regular balcony cabin or lower category ) just 50% of the required gratuity scheme. It will not harm the cabin steward as he has now double the rooms once per day. He just has twice the amount of envelopes with less cash inside. 

If everyone would stop all their gratuities - it will hit Royal quite bad and they will think about further cuts.

Unlike some folks believes Royal depends on passengers to do the tipping game to keep Royals out of pocket spending for wages low!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, resetjet said:

273DA577-12FF-4AE0-8BB9-84BBEA296F8D.thumb.jpeg.22e516dca11ef1fcea789921d83cb721.jpeg

this is from my carnival 8 day last week. They get $14.50 a day pp and the steward gets $4.44. So i am assuming royal gets a little more  say close to 5 so you are correct.   I am more or less confirmed the steward gets to keep 25% of the $4.44 with 35 rooms to clean……

False. 
Royal is $3.55 pppd

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

If everyone would stop all their gratuities - it will hit Royal quite bad and they will think about further cuts.

Unlike some folks believes Royal depends on passengers to do the tipping game to keep Royals out of pocket spending for wages low!

How do you figure?  Let's say for all cruises starting today, no one tips.  So all of the workers lose out on that money.  They're upset, but they're under contract (I don't know how "tight" the contract is).  So now they have to work without getting that tip money until the end of their contract.  So the workers suffer.

Maybe new workers won't come on since they're not getting tipped.  So Royal has to do (or tries to do) the same with less. So the passengers suffer. 

After some time with that, Royal finally decides to give the workers a decent enough wage that they don't have to rely on tips.  How long until that happens? Until which the workers and passengers suffer.  Sounds like a plan! 👍

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 5:16 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

Breakfast dishes will have to go to the hall as we will be night service people and I won’t leave them sitting in the room all day.  They are in the way for one thing.  ( BTW I hate seeing dishes in the hall.  Maybe they will need someone to constantly roam to pick them up if they decrease service? Last cruise they sat in the hall until the stewards came to clean, sometimes all day. We left ours in the room.)

Hmm, interesting, and I wonder if Royal differs on this from Carnival.  

On Carnival, the preferred practice is to place your room-service dishware out in the corridor by your door, close to the wall (per John Heald, CCL's spokesman).  The reason is that food-service handling is out of the normal purview of stateroom attendants, and there are food-service personnel assigned to removing dishes from the corridors.   (In my experience, the timeliness has varied between ships but I HAVE seen crew picking up the dishes.)  

9 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

Let’s not forget that the crew has to pay for wifi. And they pay there own ways back home after contracts.  Nothings free        

The crew gets a sizeable discount on wi-fi.  

That second part is blatant Fake News.  As already pointed out, unless they are fired for cause, crew repatriation to and from their home countries is covered by the cruise line, as is room, board and medical services while onboard.   

Not sure if it's the same on RCI, but if a crew member on Carnival opts to remain in the U.S. and not fly back to their home country between contracts, they receive the difference (i.e., airfare, etc.) in cash.  

2 hours ago, resetjet said:

Read the post.  Thats carnival.  

Your huge "Housekeeping and Tipping" thread about math over on the Carnival board hasn't fared too well either, I note.  

On 2/18/2023 at 3:47 PM, Cruise5life said:

Who really needs service 2x a day?  
I know you’re on vacation but really.   Are you that messy?

I make my own bed when I get up. I’m up early and hate a messy bed and don’t like looking at it p, takes 2 minutes.  
only thing I use services for is ice every other day.  
Put your ice bucket in the cooler so it stays cold and lasts longer.  
who gets new towels every day at home?    

why waste there time with new towels every day.

And backing up the laundry.   I ask for new towels mid cruise 

but that’s me.   But man I see some messy cabins. That’s for sure.  

Really the people that need 2x a day are those with guests / kids sleeping on sofa bed. Otherwise sofa has to be kept as a bed the whole cruise.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

And the food service staff

No that would come out of the dining portion, not room attendant.  Look back a couple of pages - they are split out. We’re only talking about the portion of tips allocated to room attendants.

10 hours ago, resetjet said:

About 6 to 8 others positions. Pretty much anything to do with housekeeping.

So what is covered by “other hotel” then? (Quoting from the breakdown of RC tips, not your carnival screenshot which isn’t relevant to RC).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spurschick said:

Really the people that need 2x a day are those with guests / kids sleeping on sofa bed. Otherwise sofa has to be kept as a bed the whole cruise.

Not necessarily.  The passengers COULD put the sofa bed back to a sofa/return it to a bed at night... you know, like people do in hotel rooms.

This isn't really any different than staying at a hotel in the US while on vacation.  In fact, many hotels have gone away from once a day cleaning and is now every 4-5 days unless you request otherwise.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

Yup sure looks like camping to me.  Lol.   
I’ll take camping any day.   
Day 11 of my 15 day in Panama last month.   No service at all  

F6DD03D6-F5CD-412A-8AAC-00CA2DE10C67.jpeg

You said you weren't leaving damp towels in the bathroom to dry, so exactly where are you putting them?

2 minutes ago, mek said:

You said you weren't leaving damp towels in the bathroom to dry, so exactly where are you putting them?

I leave it on a magnet right next to my back pack On the wall. 
the other one stays on the door and I leave the door cracked open.  So it circulates.   
and after about 3 or 4  days I get new towels sets 

7611C265-62E7-414F-8F4F-FC16AD532815.png

4ACA1A20-EE9C-4B63-B32D-6795F47DE28E.jpeg

On 2/18/2023 at 4:34 PM, little britain said:

Seriously, you have clean towels twice a day at home? If not, then there is no need for it on holiday. 

Do you have a chef at home or do you cook your own meals? If no chef at home then there is no need for one on holiday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

For those using "home" as an example to measure expectations then why have cabin service at all for cruises that are 7 nights or less?  Just have a station to turn in used bath towels and have an ice machine on each deck.  Just like home - where I replace my own towels, make my own bed, have access to an ice machine, and change my sheets once a week.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mek said:

For those using "home" as an example to measure expectations then why have cabin service at all for cruises that are 7 nights or less?  Just have a station to turn in used bath towels and have an ice machine on each deck.  Just like home - where I replace my own towels, make my own bed, have access to an ice machine, and change my sheets once a week.  

This would be great for me.   
wait.  I already do this.   I bring my towels to my steward and ask for a new set.  
And make my own bed.  
and there is an ice machine on board in the buffet.    If I can’t get my room steward to fill mine or I’m out of ice while walking around I just hop up to the buffet.   But it’s rare that I run out of ice while enjoying the ship.    My yeti hood ice for a day easy

Edited by Cruise5life

7 minutes ago, mek said:

I don’t book a cruise to do my “at home” routine.

• Like 7