Air Fare

Lalof

We are planning a 2024 Mediterranean cruise on the Ascent. (I know, I am way early in my planning)  We have always booked our own airfare, thinking that we can find better deals.  However, I recently saw a posting from someone that said the airfare through the cruiseline saved them hundreds.  

Wondering if anyone has any experience to share or feedback on booking airfare through the cruise vs on you own?  

All I can say is check out Flights by Celebrity and see what's on offer.

Lately I've not had any luck with Celebrity as their rates on my itineraries are all showing same price than airlines.   Celebrity has been offering only full refundable fares and often you can do better with a non-refundable fare.

The only real advantage is that you don't have to pay until final payment date and can change or cancel with no penalty up to that point.   After final payment even with a refundable fare FBC charges $100 administrative fee to make changes or cancel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We have sometimes had luck with Flights By Celebrity, and sometimes we can do better by booking on the airline website.  When we have a cruise that starts and ends in different places, like a Transatlantic, Celebrity is often cheaper.  Today we booked Toronto - Miami and Frankfurt-Toronto and saved over $1,000, so we are happy.  it pays to do your research first, then you know if you have a bargain.

• Thanks 1

I used to always book us with ChoiceAir/FBC.  Had excellent service. NOT this time. I could have booked myself, got what I wanted, for way less money, and less hassle if I went to airline directly.   I posted that we are Canadian dollars but FBC managed to change even my baggage fees to US.   Supervisor at FBC rude.  I. suggest you have time to check your own airfares.  Fly day before cruise departure .   

• Thanks 1

We booked Flights by Celebrity since they were the same price as buying refundable thru the airline or non refundable with insurance.  We didn't have to pay until we made final payment and I watched for the next 7 months to see if it was any cheaper through the airline or other booking agents (like using points etc)  The price only increased and at final payment was more than double what we booked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lalof said:

We are planning a 2024 Mediterranean cruise on the Ascent. (I know, I am way early in my planning)  We have always booked our own airfare, thinking that we can find better deals.  However, I recently saw a posting from someone that said the airfare through the cruiseline saved them hundreds.  

Wondering if anyone has any experience to share or feedback on booking airfare through the cruise vs on you own?  

So to directly respond and give our experience.  I booked with FBC shortly after flights became available.  Our Premium Economy to AMS and back were apx 2K pp - looked at the airline site and the same either on refundable or non refundable and add on insurance.  So we booked, long story short I kept track of the flights and they never decreased.  Did I pay a little more, not really because I would have at least insured the flights that far out.  However, had the flights dropped I could have refared thru FBC or booked with the airline direct.  IMO why not book with FBC and lock in something definite.  

BTW our flights are with Delta and we were allowed to pick our seats, I could see the reservation on Delta.  Not sure if the other airlines or class has anything to do with it.  But so far it is working for us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Used flights by celebrity and saved hundreds per person. Chose to pay at final payment. Could choose our own seats on the United app and British Airways app and we still earn miles on the flight. We booked very early. Flights are now over $1000 pp higher than when we booked last August for our July trip to Athens. We used them last year for flights to Rome and had no issues issues and saved. 

• Thanks 2

Pros and cons.

You might (might) find a better price but how are you with, say, a 6:00 am take-off and/or a change of planes?

As for the ship waiting for delayed flights booked through the cruise line, we booked our own flight; its departure was delayed. Not a problem: there were (no surprise) several others there who had booked the flight via the cruise line. Long story short, the airline announced in the departure lounge, before we boarded the plane, that the cruise line was aware of the situation and would hold the ship for the delayed flights.

QED.

Edited by Canuker
  • Thanks 2

We do whatever gives us the best price, sometimes booking FBC first, then looking at other airlines, along with price drops.  For Europe this April on a TA/b2b, flying home in premium plus and were upgraded to biz class with 12,000+, so 2,500 each through United.  I did not like that price, but using miles worked great, especially since we have to fly to the west coast. Our one-way to FLL is with FBC/American and was an excellent price at 300 pp from Reno through Dallas.  Sometimes you get lucky and other times not so much.  There are always better deals out there, along with those not so good.  If you feel good about it, that’s what counts.  Always shop around...you can cancel FBC up until final payment.  We bumped up with more points on AA, as soon as we paid in full; had to call FBC for them to send this to American to make this possible.  Good Luck!  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

I'm starting to look for airfare for a cruise next year. Is there any website that will tell me what would be a good price to shoot for? I know airfare is a moving target but as much as I hate to overpay, I get very nervous until I book the airfare. 

2 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I'm starting to look for airfare for a cruise next year. Is there any website that will tell me what would be a good price to shoot for? I know airfare is a moving target but as much as I hate to overpay, I get very nervous until I book the airfare. 

Not sure about the website.  We booked ours 10 months out and like you I was nervous about overpaying but it has paid off.  Booking the flexible fare with AA I was able to change our departing city about 7 weeks after booking and save $800.  Took about a week to get a refund of the difference on our credit card.  

2 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

Google flights will indicate whether the fare is high or low based on averages for those dates. Keep in mind though, averages from the last couple of years are not really reliable anymore.

https://www.google.com/travel/flights

ScreenShot2023-02-20at2_31_06PM.thumb.png.1848541853e62c8f14dfdb78f0b676a4.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

Check out google.com/flights it will show low, typical and high 

looks like some beat by a minute 

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer