Do they still have the old plastic cards or is everything the Medallion now?

fatbird

8 hours ago, JGmf said:

Assuming you routinely wear pants or shorts w/belt loops, I wonder if you can get one of those medallion holders with a clip and just clip it on to the belt loop.  Thereafter, no worries about having it on your wrist or in your pocket.

Then I have to buy something that's otherwise unnecessary. Also seems inconvenient to unclip/reclip every time they ask me to scan the thing. 

On 2/21/2023 at 3:08 PM, ontheweb said:

If you throw your medallion overboard, are they going to call a muster because they think you have jumped or fell off the ship?

There was a poster here that claimed that.   That the ship would start man-overboard procedures.

Or that if you walked around without a medallion, security would stop you.

He was pretty whacky.   But, this is cruisecritic.

On 2/22/2023 at 4:56 PM, wowzz said:

You go to reception  and get a new Medallion. Simples ! 

My experience has been ... they either page the steward, or send someone with a key.

We were locked out once ... we had the key card, but the door and jamb mechanism became lose and would't disengage with the key.

They sent someone with a screwdriver.

9 hours ago, D C said:

Then I have to buy something that's otherwise unnecessary. Also seems inconvenient to unclip/reclip every time they ask me to scan the thing. 

We use retractable badge holders and it works great.

Edited by Musky Ike

On 2/23/2023 at 9:06 AM, D C said:

I was constantly asked for a room number, or was asked to tap my medallion on their reader. 

If you were asked to tap the Medallion, it was likely to be sure that the correct person was charged as the display she/he had no likely showed several people in the area you were at.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Reporting back in this thread (I posted in February) --- just returned from my May 13 - May 27 B2B cruise. 

I was able to get a cruise card (for collecting purposes only) and still used the medallion 100% of the time. The embarkation terminal person was very helpful. Took less than 5 minutes to ask someone in the back for help. All it took was asking nicely.

IMG_5255 - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MLBFan24 said:

Reporting back in this thread (I posted in February) --- just returned from my May 13 - May 27 B2B cruise. 

I was able to get a cruise card (for collecting purposes only) and still used the medallion 100% of the time. The embarkation terminal person was very helpful. Took less than 5 minutes to ask someone in the back for help. All it took was asking nicely.

IMG_5255 - Copy.jpg

Lovely card.  At one point I thought about collecting Hampton Inn key cards with the state on them.  But soon realized I would end up with a collection of a gazillion from Ohio and not too many other places.  Now I am happy to use my phone to open hotel room doors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Lovely card.  At one point I thought about collecting Hampton Inn key cards with the state on them.  But soon realized I would end up with a collection of a gazillion from Ohio and not too many other places.  Now I am happy to use my phone to open hotel room doors.

Thanks for updating! This is great to know. I called Princess the other day to ask this question and the customer sales assistant wasn't sure, but told me to ask onboard. The reason I would be seeking cards is that my husband and I are booked in separate rooms with the children split between us. I was really hoping they could supply he and I with cards to access each other's rooms in case we need to help any of the kids with anything, or we need things from each other's rooms. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lou_on_vaycay said:

Thanks for updating! This is great to know. I called Princess the other day to ask this question and the customer sales assistant wasn't sure, but told me to ask onboard. The reason I would be seeking cards is that my husband and I are booked in separate rooms with the children split between us. I was really hoping they could supply he and I with cards to access each other's rooms in case we need to help any of the kids with anything, or we need things from each other's rooms. Fingers crossed!

I believe the medallions can be programmed for multiple cabins at customer service desk

• Thanks 1

They still use the cards.  There was a couple that were new cruisers (absolute 1st time on a ship) and purchased their cruise from one of those online discounters.  Their 'guarantee' cabin had not been assigned when they boarded so they were given cards for boarding, but had to go to guest services to get their cabin assignment and medallion.  I forget how the porters had marked their luggage tags, but they managed get the luggage to their cabin in about the normal amount of time.